Need Help From You Nerds

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Jay Nunley
Swearmaster General
Swearmaster General

Need Help From You Nerds

Post by Jay Nunley »

For more than a decade I used Radio Shark from Griffin Technologies to do airchecks. Unfortunately, they never updated it past Windows 7 (and it didn't work very well then).

Here's what I need. Something I can plug and play (USB) that will receive FM (AM not necessary but helpful) and has software I can set like a DVR to record OTA at specific times.

I've done a number of searches in all the usual places, but the enormity of the tech lingo and nerd stuff has me reluctant to pull the trigger on a purchase.
genlock

Re: Need Help From You Nerds

Post by genlock »

I guess no one in the Rotary Club knows how to do this.
I didn't even know they did "airchecks" anymore.
Automation messing up?
"Everyone Should be aware that you're just a screen grab away from infamy."
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

I've asked the BookFace. If the surly DJ group doesn't have an answer, I'll head to the (ironically) less surly engineer group I'm in.
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

Clay JD Walker

Post by Clay JD Walker »

Before we upgraded our facility to Axia, we were all using this:

http://www.zillenbiller.de/aircheck/

It's may not be as plug and play as you'd like, but we had it running for years with no issues in the rack room. We had all of the control rooms' mic on relay connected to the computer's COM port...and audio from each station run into each of the six input channels on the sound card. When someone would crack a mic, the program began skimming. You can override the relay closure, and force it to record a certain amount of time (like during special programming for podcasting, etc).

It's a bit old school and outdated, but it certainly got the job done here in Greensboro for almost 10 years.

This is what we're using now:
https://www.telosalliance.com/Axia/iProfiler

iProfiler is fantastic. Certain departments have access to certain types of airchecks - PDs to their stations, production folks for stopset verification, web people for podcasting, etc. And - it's native to Axia...which for us means we just connect the computer to our Livewire network and everything else just works.

Good luck, Jay
Jay Nunley
Swearmaster General
Swearmaster General

Post by Jay Nunley »

Thanks, Brothers.

Lion's Club, Genlock, but nobody knows how to do it there either. :D

Lester, I'm no longer surprised that air people are now more surly than engineers, especially on YouFace.

Clay, that is far too complicated. You seem to have forgotten about my technical dumbassery. Content creation, promotion, and performance? I'm the man. Making machines do stuff... not so much.
sportsvoice

Post by sportsvoice »

Jay Nunley wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:20 am For more than a decade I used Radio Shark from Griffin Technologies to do airchecks. Unfortunately, they never updated it past Windows 7 (and it didn't work very well then).

Here's what I need. Something I can plug and play (USB) that will receive FM (AM not necessary but helpful) and has software I can set like a DVR to record OTA at specific times.

I've done a number of searches in all the usual places, but the enormity of the tech lingo and nerd stuff has me reluctant to pull the trigger on a purchase.
Funny, I picked up one of those RadioShark units on eBay for about $10 recently. I was able to find a Linux driver online for it and combined it with a Raspberry Pi to make a cheap version of the Inovonics SiteStreamer. I live on the far fringe of our LPFM's coverage so I put this setup at the tower to use as a confidence monitor. If you can get up to speed on Linux and have a spare computer you could use this same driver and scheduled tasks in cron for timed recording.

We also use Aircheck at the studio and have it recording 24/7 to have evidence in case some volunteer DJ goes off the handle, or to have recordings available for high school football, etc.

I used to use something called "Super mp3 Recorder" for this but it's long-dead software that hasn't been updated since the XP days. I was able to make it run on Linux using WINE (windows emulator).
reeves

Post by reeves »

Jay --

Do you still cuss?

Reeves
genlock

Post by genlock »

Cussing not allowed at Lions club.
Everyone must praise every other Lion mender.
Middleburg addition gets along with Cow Creek.
Like a United Nations that works.
Jay Nunley
Swearmaster General
Swearmaster General

Post by Jay Nunley »

Reeves, I do still love me some curse words, but I keep it toned down or even completely absent in public and in public forums. There is a certain standard of public behavior that is expected for any pastor, including Presbyterians, by your congregation and my intention is to meet that standard. Of course, the majority of my congregation wouldn't care one way or another, but I still try to match the standard.
genlock

Post by genlock »

This is what the Lions Club leas to.
Jay Nunley
Swearmaster General
Swearmaster General

Post by Jay Nunley »

:lol: :lol: