The Clear (Channel) Truth

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

And You Think The Winner Is....

WVRC - What The Failed Politician Wants, He Gets.
82%
Connoisseur - They Got The Cash, and BJ.
12%
Judy and Robbie - Judy Gets a Job, Robbie Gets Toys.
6%

Total votes: 17

Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

Mike wrote:I take offense at W I R O being deadwood, when it makes WVHU a winner by broadcasting it into the MOST AFFLUENT area (ie most advertiser friendly) zip codes in the Tri-State.
How is Ironton, or Ashland, or Russell, or Flatwoods THE MOST AFFLUENT area?

WIRO is deadwood to any company looking to cherry-pick from the current CC Huntington cluster. A 1 kW graveyard station 20 miles from the largest and most congested part of the metro is hardly a flamethrower worth saving.
Mike wrote:Twelve Thirty W I R O.. The Big I! WVHU is WIRO (WVHU) in terms of revenue.
Case in point. The only way CC can use WIRO is as a translator.
Last edited by Hoosier Daddy on Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
cgarison

Post by cgarison »

Hoosier Daddy wrote:
Deadwood:

1230 WIRO
1600 WZZW
107.1 WBKS

Heavy Hitters:

800 WVHU
100.5 WKEE
103.3 WTCR
97.1 WBVB

Riding the fence:

1420 WTCR
106.3 WAMX

8)
Damn! Did we compare notes?

When I was typing the post, I was actually trying to come up with a way to purchase the 4 heavy hitters you listed without taking the rest. And I have to admit I have a soft spot in my heart for 1420 AM and WAMX has potential, but I was having a hard time fitting them into the equation.
The first step in a successful revolution is to defeat all competing revolutionaries.
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

cgarison wrote:And I have to admit I have a soft spot in my heart for 1420 AM and WAMX has potential, but I was having a hard time fitting them into the equation.
At one time, WTCR AM had a decent signal and their towers are literally in the heart of the metro. That being said, their dial position ain't great, and, from what I understand, the 1420 technical plant has been ignored for years. 1420 could again become a contender if these issues could be addressed.

106.3 is a weak transmitter on a really tall tower, so you get a really big fringe area signal footprint but poor building penetration, especially since their tower is on the ass end of Milton. Fixing 106.3 would probably involve moving the primary tower site closer to Huntington and/or adding some on-channel translators.

I still believe the WIRO/WITO package would be great for a mom and pop, or for someone like Hometown Broadcasting who has a vested interest in providing radio to that end of the market. Another possibility is if the Ohio University branch in Ironton (with the media/broadcast school) would purchase the stations for use by the students. Or maybe the folks who own WMEJ might want to add some west side coverage ...

8)
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.