NFL A-Teams

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Who's better?

Jim Nantz/Phil Simms
71%
Joe Buck/Troy Aikman
29%

Total votes: 7

Bar Rat

NFL A-Teams

Post by Bar Rat »

Which team is better?

I think Buck/Aikman... they keep it to the game.
cgarison

Post by cgarison »

Buck/Aikman is always anti-Eagles so they do not hit my book for being a good team.
The first step in a successful revolution is to defeat all competing revolutionaries.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

No question its Aikman/Buck. I'm listening to Bryant Gumbell now on the NFL network. I never could stand the guy. He really is bad at play by play. I would like to see Mike Patrick (WV native) and former ESPN guy. Always liked him.

Speaking of the NFL...HOW 'BOUT THEM COWBOYS???!!!?
Titties and beer...thank God almighty for titties and beer!
sportsvoice

Post by sportsvoice »

daveinthemorning wrote:No question its Aikman/Buck. I'm listening to Bryant Gumbell now on the NFL network. I never could stand the guy. He really is bad at play by play. I would like to see Mike Patrick (WV native) and former ESPN guy. Always liked him.

Speaking of the NFL...HOW 'BOUT THEM COWBOYS???!!!?
Can't get NFL network here...Time Warner claims they would have to raise rates to put NFL on the regular tier...so instead they raise rates $2.50 and don't add any channels. (Yes, I am likely switching to satellite very soon.)

Therefore I am listening to the Westwood One radio feed via Sirius Satellite Radio. The announce team is Dick Enberg, Sam Wyche, and Bonnie Bernstein on sideline. Guess I could sample Broncos or KC radio teams if I wanted to.
Ace Purple

Post by Ace Purple »

I'm a Jim Nantz fan. Joe Buck does a good job, though his sanctimonious outburst following the Randy Moss "pretend to moon the crowd" celebration really soured me to him.

Bryant Gumbel is a legit jerk (as I've mentioned before) and an overrated broadcaster. At least he's on a channel that I can only watch at my brother's house (the NFL Network games are another rant for another day.)
On Twitter: @LouPickney
Dr. Whiplash

Post by Dr. Whiplash »

Both teams are pretty damn good but I gave the edge to Nantz/Simms because Nantz stays calm and in perspective all the time. Aikman keeps getting better.

Why would anyone pay to hear Bryant Gumbel? :x
Bar Rat

Post by Bar Rat »

Dr. Whiplash wrote:Why would anyone pay to hear Bryant Gumbel? :x
I don't know. And it sucks to miss games, but I can't stand him.
Dr. Whiplash

Post by Dr. Whiplash »

Bar Rat wrote:I don't know. And it sucks to miss games, but I can't stand him.
Yeah, you could always turn down the audio, maybe find a radio feed. I just react viscerally to even seeing his name. Biggest asshole I've ever met and I really don't expect to meet a bigger one. Truly a sphincter deluxe.
Mark Hallburn

Post by Mark Hallburn »

Not a John Madden fan... He brings down every team he's been on... But then I don't appeal to his target audience...

Nantz/Buck is good....

My all-time favorite was Vin Scully/George Allen. Vin can paint pictures with words better than anyone. Allen had the color and could break down a game better than most. A GREAT team.... Scully also is a Hall of Fame baseball announcer... But he can captivate you as he describes grass growing.... No one is better than Vin Scully!

Also, Dick Enberg in his L.A. Rams days was great.... I understand he is doing NFL radio again these days....
News For Putnam County
www.PutnamLIVE.com
Dr. Whiplash

Post by Dr. Whiplash »

Mark Hallburn wrote:Not a John Madden fan... He brings down every team he's been on... But then I don't appeal to his target audience...
Which is, uh, football fans?
Nantz/Buck is good....
But what about Simms/Aikman?
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

Is there a reason Al & John isn't an option?
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

I was always a fan of Summerall/Madden. I also like Siragusa's sideline (end zone) work
Titties and beer...thank God almighty for titties and beer!
cgarison

Post by cgarison »

Arp2 wrote:Is there a reason Al & John isn't an option?
They do not have the chemistry that they had with their former on air co-hosts. Summerall/Madden was a classic.

Plus, Sunday Night Football has been terrible this year and the commentary has not helped any.
The first step in a successful revolution is to defeat all competing revolutionaries.
Dr. Whiplash

Post by Dr. Whiplash »

Arp2 wrote:Is there a reason Al & John isn't an option?
Saw yesterday that Al & John ranked 10th overall last week; 7th 18-49.
Ace Purple

Post by Ace Purple »

Bill Simmons (the Boston Sports Guy) has an excellent article on ESPN's Page 2 about his favorite NFL broadcast teams:

http://www.bostonsportsguy.com
On Twitter: @LouPickney
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

daveinthemorning wrote:I was always a fan of Summerall/Madden. I also like Siragusa's sideline (end zone) work
definitely on both counts. i think tony's reports hit straight at the football FAN. the inside slant. what it's like to BE the nfl player on the field. something none of the other player/commentators really quite pull off. terry and howie are close. but still too much "big time/above that" on their parts. but i love the chemistry and personality of the Fox pre game. i reserve my comments on jimmie because he was unfairly pre-judged in my mind LONG before he was ever a TV commentator. (being a skins fan since 1978)
I'm not an idiot, but I play one on the radio.