Latest on Coach Rod ... (and it's not good!)

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Will Coach Rod Go or Stay?

Poll ended at Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:14 pm

Stay
35%
Go
65%

Total votes: 20

Kitesgot

Post by Kitesgot »

You missed the whole point.
Schaffer

Post by Schaffer »

That entire post was right on the money.
Schaffer

Post by Schaffer »

I was talking about kitesgot's post.
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

webdesignguy wrote:Actually.....I never said anything about the athletic department having the swagger. Most of the programs are trained to be hunmble in front of the cameras. I am talking about the fans.

Alabama fans - "We belong here!"

WVU fans - "It's so great just to be a part of this."
A great observation.

It's like the "reviews" of the Marshall movie we're seeing here -- "Oh, joy! It doesn't make us look bad!" It appears that the assumption of West Virginians is that they're "less than" and the natural expectation is that others will notice every time. Then, given an instance where the assumed "less than" isn't brought up and the negative expectation isn't met, it's thought to be a cause for celebration.

Assumption -- inferiority
Expectations -- low
Strong performance -- rare, an exception, "a good year," possibly a fluke, "better be happy now 'cause it ain't gonna happen every year"

All of that versus.....

Assumption -- as good as any and better than most
Expectations -- high
Strong performance -- "exactly as it should be all the time"

In other words, confidence. Which is based on high expectations. Which come from good assumptions.

Confidence. Swagger.

Not trash-talking posturing...the quiet confidence of known competence and high self-expectation.
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"
Dr. Whiplash

Post by Dr. Whiplash »

Arp2 wrote:
webdesignguy wrote:Actually.....I never said anything about the athletic department having the swagger. Most of the programs are trained to be hunmble in front of the cameras. I am talking about the fans.
Alabama fans - "We belong here!"
WVU fans - "It's so great just to be a part of this."
A great observation. It's like the "reviews" of the Marshall movie we're seeing here -- "Oh, joy! It doesn't make us look bad!" It appears that the assumption of West Virginians is that they're "less than" and the natural expectation is that others will notice every time. Then, given an instance where the assumed "less than" isn't brought up and the negative expectation isn't met, it's thought to be a cause for celebration.

Assumption -- inferiority
Expectations -- low
Strong performance -- rare, an exception, "a good year," possibly a fluke, "better be happy now 'cause it ain't gonna happen every year"

All of that versus.....

Assumption -- as good as any and better than most
Expectations -- high

In other words, confidence. Which is based on high expectations. Which come from good assumptions.

Confidence. Swagger.

Not trash-talking posturing...the quiet confidence of known competence and high self-expectation.
You guys both said well what I've had trouble expressing while reading this thread. I lived 12 years in West Virginia, love the state, am fascinated by its history, deeply respect WVU and always support its football program. But the old familiar defense mechanisms and defeatist attitudes do wear thin. What some people on this board see as arrogance from others is often nothing more than self-assuredness and public pride.

There's a telling line in a Buckeye fight song written when Paul Brown was coach: "We'll win the game or know the reason why."

Confidence. Swagger. Pride. Nothing to apologize for and nothing for anyone else (except Meeshegun) to get pissed off about.
Bob Campbell

Post by Bob Campbell »

The key word delivered by ARP, expectations.
Of course I'm OCD, I do mornings. But expectations are what got Shula canned and why Rod would have such a tough time in Alabama.
And I've still got a quarter for anybody who thinks WVU will contend for a national championship next year. Not going to happen.

And hey, I lived and worked in WV for nearly 5 years and loved many things about it, and more than a couple girls in it.
Lee

Post by Lee »

Bob Campbell wrote:.... and more than a couple girls in it.
You MUST write a book!
twitter.com/CrypticBullshit
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

Arp2 wrote: Assumption -- as good as any and better than most
Expectations -- high

Confidence. Swagger.

In other words, The Ohio State University.

8)
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
Kitesgot

Post by Kitesgot »

I must be seriously missing something.

WHERE---WHERE---WHERE---do you see, by watching TV or reading Sports Illustrated do you find "swagger" or "expectations" BEYOND those that are presented to us as the gospel by sports columnists, or TV Sports analysts?

I only see cameras panning a wild crowd of a home team cheering on their squad----and hear some remarks from the color guy.

Home WVU games on ESPN----I see fans in the seats with self-confidence.
Home Alabama games on ESPN-----same.

I have no idea where this notion of a "swagger---or evident 'expectations' beyond their record, or the game itself comes from. To me---ANY team that is rolling, SEC or not, and is 9-0 going down the stretch is going to be perceived by the masses as having "expectaions" or "swagger"--I just don't see otherwise going on here.

I will say that if any team has the right to "swagger" it would be Ohio State, but---I only get THAT from their record, Heisman, and the "expectations" presented to us by the analyists.....which is more of a "gush" than the team itself "swagger.........ing."

Swagger is nothing more than a conclusion reached by an individual who watches the sport and knows who dominates, and is influenced by those who tell them it is so.

Oh, and the avatar is the space shuttle taking off last week from 25 miles away in some guy's back-yard.
Mark Hallburn

Post by Mark Hallburn »

Bob:

I will take you up on that quarter. WVU will contend next year...
News For Putnam County
www.PutnamLIVE.com