Latest on Coach Rod ... (and it's not good!)

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Will Coach Rod Go or Stay?

Poll ended at Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:14 pm

Stay
35%
Go
65%

Total votes: 20

wvdahlia

Latest on Coach Rod ... (and it's not good!)

Post by wvdahlia »

This from ESPN.com ... Thursday, December 7th at 9 p.m.

Reports: Rodriguez considering offer from BamaESPN.com news services

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. -- Alabama's search for a coach appears to be picking up speed.

Bama forcing Miami's hand
The pace of negotiations between Alabama and West Virginia coach Rich Rodriguez is forcing Miami to decide how badly it wants to pursue him.
-- To read more of Ivan Maisel's analysis, click here

Miami Dolphins coach Nick Saban said Thursday he declined to meet with Alabama officials about the coaching vacancy, while media reports had West Virginia coach Rich Rodriguez being offered the job.

Sources told ESPN's Joe Schad that Alabama extended a six-year, $12 million offer to Rodriguez, and Alabama would also pay West Virginia a $2 million buyout. The proposed deal would make Rodriguez among the top 10 highest-paid college coaches in the nation, doubling his current salary.

Rodriguez is expected to decide before Sunday.

"It's been tough on me, but I've not let it distract from my day-to-day duties," said Rodriguez, who was in Jacksonville, Fla., on Thursday for a Toyota Gator Bowl news conference. "When other people have come to talk to my staff or myself personally, it's very flattering. I'd rather have it that way then the other way."

The Press-Register of Mobile, citing unidentified sources, first reported the offer to Rodriguez from Crimson Tide athletic director Mal Moore on its Web site and said the coach was considering the offer.

The Tuscaloosa News also reported on its Web site that Alabama offered Rodriguez the job.

However, West Virginia tailback Steve Slaton, who is in Orlando to attend Thursday night's Home Depot College Football Awards Show at Walt Disney World Resort, told ESPN.com's Mark Schlabach that Rodriguez told his team he's not going anywhere.

Slaton said his coach told the team Friday night that he planned on staying at his alma mater, instead of accepting the Alabama or Miami jobs.

"From what he said to us, he said he was happy there and wanted to stay for a while," said Slaton, one of three finalists for the Doak Walker Award as college football's best running back. "He told us he planned on spending his career at West Virginia if they wanted him."

Alabama spokesman Doug Walker told The Associated Press the university did not have an announcement scheduled.

Rodriguez and his wife, Rita, met with Moore on Tuesday night in New York City before the College Football Hall of Fame induction banquet.

Rodriguez has built West Virginia into a Big East power, winning the Sugar Bowl after the 2005 season and a share of three straight league titles. The Mountaineers are 10-2 and play in the Gator Bowl against Georgia Tech on Jan. 1.

In June, Rodriguez signed a seven-year contract that pays him $1 million this year with $50,000 annual raises after that. His base salary is $150,000. He'll also collect $600,000 in deferred compensation in December 2011 if he remains as coach.

"I hope it doesn't come down to money," Slaton said. "But he's got to do what's best for his family."

Alabama fired Mike Shula on Nov. 26 after the Tide went 6-6 in his fourth season and lost their fifth consecutive meeting with rival Auburn.

Speculation tying Saban to the Crimson Tide job surfaced soon after Shula was let go. Saban publicly denied interest several times, but on Thursday he acknowledged that the school had contacted his agent, Jimmy Sexton.

"I'm flattered that they may have been interested in me, but it never really progressed, because we just never let it progress," Saban said after practice in Davie, Fla.

"They called Jimmy and said, 'Is Nick interested?' And Jimmy said no," Saban said. "Jimmy asked me on several occasions, and I said no.

"I'm interested in staying here. We're in the middle of the season. I'm committed to our team. It's not a very good time to even think about that, to be honest with you," he said.

Saban is in the second-year of a five-year deal with Miami.

Information from ESPN's Joe Schad, ESPN.com's Mark Schlabach and The Associated Press was used in this report.
"A woman is a woman, but a cigar is a smoke," Winston Churchill
klever

Post by klever »

12 million for 6 years, not that much better, to go into that hornet's nest and lose a lot of friends and respect, he will join the long line and say no, and be a god in WV
genlock

Post by genlock »

But if he does win......
Beats Auburn.......
Contends or wins a national championship.....
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

klever wrote:12 million for 6 years, not that much better, to go into that hornet's nest and lose a lot of friends and respect, he will join the long line and say no, and be a god in WV
... or, he could go to Alabama, be the next Jim Tressel (FINALLY replacing that ghost of Woody Hayes that haunted Earle Bruce and John Cooper at Ohio State), have national exposure and ego stroking that will NEVER occur at WVU, and make shitpots full of money.

When you're a head college football coach, isn't that what it's all about?

:)
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
Mark Hallburn

Post by Mark Hallburn »

If I'm Rodriguez I get WVU to match or come close... Win the Gator Bowl, and have a powerhouse team next year....

THEN I field a $3 million annual offer....

:lol:
News For Putnam County
www.PutnamLIVE.com
SHOCKLEY

Post by SHOCKLEY »

ESPN TV says that it's done!!!

He's GONE!!!
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

Story:
Reports: Rodriguez considering offer
from BamaESPN.com news services

The University of Alabama appeared to move closer to hiring West Virginia coach Rich Rodriguez on Thursday night. While day-long negotiations in Tuscaloosa between the two sides did not conclude with an agreement, the university will deliver a contract to Rodriguez on Friday morning, representatives of both sides said Thursday night.

Both sides denied Thursday night media reports that a deal had been made in principle, largely because an important member of the negotiations -- Rodriguez himself -- had yet to participate in them.

Rodriguez spent the day in Jacksonville, Fla., where he participated in a press conference to promote the Toyota Gator Bowl between the Mountaineers and Georgia Tech on Jan. 1.

Rodriguez returned to Morgantown, W.Va., on Thursday night and will have the contract faxed to him on Friday morning.

Alabama athletic director Mal Moore, senior associate athletic director Finus Gaston and university attorneys spent the day meeting in Tuscaloosa with Rodriguez's representative, Mike Brown.

Though the university made inquiries into the availability of South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier and Miami Dolphins coach Nick Saban, Rodriguez is the first coach with whom Moore entered serious discussion. Though Rodriguez won the Big East Conference championship and the Sugar Bowl last season, the most important day of his career will be Friday. The 43-year-old Rodriguez will decide whether to leave his alma mater and his home state to take on one of the most pressurized jobs in college football.

West Virginia increased Rodriguez's salary to $1.1 million last summer. The terms of his contract include a $2 million payment to the university should he leave before Aug. 31, 2007.

Sources told ESPN's Joe Schad that Alabama extended a six-year, $12 million offer to Rodriguez, and Alabama would also pay West Virginia a $2 million buyout. The proposed deal would make Rodriguez among the top 10 highest-paid college coaches in the nation, doubling his current salary.

The Birmingham News reported on its Web site late Thursday that Rodriguez was offered more than $2 million a year with incentives and would have one of the highest-paid coaching staffs in the Southeastern Conference.

The newspaper, citing anonymous sources, said Alabama officials expected him to sign the deal on Friday.

However, West Virginia tailback Steve Slaton, in Orlando to attend Thursday night's Home Depot College Football Awards Show at Walt Disney World Resort, told ESPN.com's Mark Schlabach that Rodriguez told his team he's not going anywhere.

"From what he said to us, he said he was happy there and wanted to stay for a while," said Slaton, one of three finalists for the Doak Walker Award as college football's best running back. "He told us he planned on spending his career at West Virginia if they wanted him."

Moore did not immediately return a call to his home. Alabama spokesman Doug Walker said the university did not have an announcement scheduled.

A call to Rodriguez's cell phone was not answered.

Saban said earlier Thursday that Alabama had contacted his agent regarding the coaching vacancy, but he wasn't interested.

"I'm flattered that they may have been interested in me, but it never really progressed, because we just never let it progress," Saban said after practice in Davie, Fla.

The Press-Register of Mobile, citing unidentified sources, first reported the offer to Rodriguez from Moore on its Web site.

During his appearance in Jacksonville, Rodriguez declined to respond to questions about the Alabama job but said he planned to meet with West Virginia recruits Friday morning and preside over practice later in the day.

Rodriguez said all the attention on him lately has been a mixed bag.

"It's been tough on me, but I've not let it distract from my day-to-day duties," he said. "When other people have come to talk to my staff or myself personally, it's very flattering. I'd rather have it that way than the other way. I coached a long time and nobody ever called.

"Now some people have expressed an interest in my staff and myself and while it's flattering, it's not changed who we are," he said.

Rodriguez and his wife, Rita, met with Moore on Tuesday night in New York City before the College Football Hall of Fame induction banquet.

Rodriguez has built West Virginia into a Big East power, winning the Sugar Bowl after the 2005 season and a share of three straight league titles. The Mountaineers are 10-2 and will play Georgia Tech on Jan. 1.

In June, Rodriguez signed a seven-year contract that pays him $1 million this year with $50,000 annual raises after that. He'll also collect $600,000 in deferred compensation in December 2011 if he remains as coach.

"I hope it doesn't come down to money," Slaton said. "But he's got to do what's best for his family."

Alabama fired Mike Shula on Nov. 26 after the Tide went 6-6 in his fourth season and lost its fifth consecutive meeting with rival Auburn.

Rodriguez grew up 30 minutes from West Virginia's campus and played for the Mountaineers in the 1980s.

Rodriguez would bring an impressive offensive resume to program that struggled offensively this season. West Virginia ranked second nationally in rushing offense and fourth in total offense last season; Alabama was 75th and 60th, respectively.

Speculation tying Saban to the Crimson Tide job surfaced soon after Shula was let go. Saban publicly denied interest several times, but on Thursday he acknowledged that the school had contacted his agent, Jimmy Sexton.

"They called Jimmy and said, 'Is Nick interested?' And Jimmy said no," Saban said. "Jimmy asked me on several occasions, and I said no.

"I'm interested in staying here. We're in the middle of the season. I'm committed to our team. It's not a very good time to even think about that, to be honest with you," Saban said.

Saban is in the second-year of a five-year deal with Miami.
Source: ESPN.com

8)
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
klever

Post by klever »

By noon today we will have an answer, my bet is Manchin steps in to save the day.
Their final 2, as to now, West Virginians, both long time friends of the Governor, let's lose the inferiority complex.
and step up with the bucks, we have them
bmathews

Post by bmathews »

SHOCKLEY wrote:ESPN TV says that it's done!!!

He's GONE!!!

Yep, he's definitely gone!!! it will be official in just a few hours...not cool at all for wvu...$$$ talks!!!
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

Don't miss the best part of this. WV had a coach that someone else wanted!
weaver

Post by weaver »

Is there any other industry in which contracts mean nothing, because that seems to be the case in collegiate and professional sports.
SHOCKLEY

Post by SHOCKLEY »

Screw Rodriguez...

Alabama fired a guy that went 10-2 last year supposedly because he couldn't beat Auburn..

They hired a guy that didn't know a damn thing about defense and can't beat South Florida to replace him...

They should have gone undefeated this year...
The People's DJ
Pimp Hand
Pimp Hand

Post by The People's DJ »

The newspaper, citing anonymous sources, said Alabama officials expected him to sign the deal on Friday.
Here we go again. Anonymous Sources. You would think that ESPN's reports would be better then the MSM reporters. Guess not.

I have it from anonymous sources that later today I'm going home to eat dinner. Now these sources couldn't say if I'm going to have chicken or hamburgers, but they are reporting that I'm going to have dinner today.
Ace Purple

Post by Ace Purple »

"It's over, Johnny. It's over!"
On Twitter: @LouPickney
Kitesgot

Post by Kitesgot »

Well-----nobody is going on record, but---it seems to me that with ESPN, and ALL the Alabama press and local talk-shows in Alabama going with the story, then it must be pretty true.
When it comes to stuff THIS big (so far as college sports is concerned) how many times do you see major papers and ESPN go on later to recant a previous story? Not often. They KNOW it.
Rodriguez phone call with Dave Hickman last night (whom has been adopted as his personal PR guy) was probably as disingenuous as his comments last Firday night with the famous call to Greg Hunter.

He hasn't even been able to talk to his team yet. He doesn't want THEM to hear it on the radio or see it on TV. They're going to feel betrayed enough since they listened to his bullshit to come here and play his system, so at the VERY LEAST he would tell them directly.

Maybe I'm totally wrong about all of this----so here's something that'll make you roll your eyes from an Alabama Football message board;

http://mb30.scout.com/falabamafans48326 ... 1397.topic
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

That's pretty funny coming from someone in Alabama.
Mr. Jones

Post by Mr. Jones »

ESPN Radio quoting WBOY that WVU is desperately trying to renegotiate with Rich today.
Kitesgot

Post by Kitesgot »

I heard that he's staying after he saw the above picture.
Schaffer

Post by Schaffer »

He's GONE!!!
Nope!
"It's over, Johnny. It's over!"
Wrong.

Coach is in town to stay.

What a wonderful insult to Alabama. I freakin love it!
Lee

Post by Lee »

That is pretty funny.

But what self-respecting coach would want to go to a program that would fire someone just for going 10-2?? Just because they couldn't beat Auburn...big deal....

Maybe Pruett is next in line.... :roll: :lol:
twitter.com/CrypticBullshit