Latest on Coach Rod ... (and it's not good!)

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Will Coach Rod Go or Stay?

Poll ended at Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:14 pm

Stay
35%
Go
65%

Total votes: 20

Big Media

Post by Big Media »

Now we have a new team to hate:

F-ck Alabama!
bmathews

Post by bmathews »

bmathews wrote:
SHOCKLEY wrote:ESPN TV says that it's done!!!

He's GONE!!!

Yep, he's definitely gone!!! it will be official in just a few hours...not cool at all for wvu...$$$ talks!!!

ESPN sucks balls!!! those bastards confirmed late last night he was gone...and i believed it!!!

cant wait for the press conference here shortly so coach rod can confirm that he still bleeds gold & blue
Dr. Whiplash

Post by Dr. Whiplash »

So Coach Rod (1.) is a man of his word, (2.) got the wife and him a nice free trip and some good grub, and (3.) has endeared himself to the Mountaineer faithful in a big, big way. Bravo! :P
Schaffer

Post by Schaffer »

Don't forget #4, you know, the one where he makes Alabama look stupid and REALLY pisses them off. I freakin love it!!!!!!!

GOOOOO EEEERS!!!!
That 70's Employee

It's DONE..he STAYS

Post by That 70's Employee »

BREAKING NEWS

Rodriguez to stay at West Virginia

West Virginia football coach Rich Rodriguez has decided to stay with the Mountaineers rather than take the open job at Alabama, the Associated Press reports.
Mark Hallburn

Post by Mark Hallburn »

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2691319

Until he gets that $3 million offer next year....
News For Putnam County
www.PutnamLIVE.com
Kitesgot

Post by Kitesgot »

I read a column today from an Alabama sports writer saying what Bob Campbell says here;

"Rodriguez might have developed a good program at WVU, but it's light-years away from football in the SEC. He will not make it at Alabama."

Just another reason to hate Alabama.

He actually might be right about not making it.....siimply because the pressure to go undefeated every year..........PLUS......read some of the posts on an Alabama message board. Two weeks ago when this was first leaked, I saw a thread that was nothing more than bashing Rita Rodriguez looks. No football, just HER. And that was when they thought he was coming.
Ace Purple

Post by Ace Purple »

I just filled in a co-worker of mine who's a Bama fan about Rodriguez's decision to stay. She was not amused; I found the situation to be hilarious.
On Twitter: @LouPickney
Bob Campbell

Post by Bob Campbell »

So Rich chickened out huh? Can't blame him. Win 7 or 8 a year in Morgantown and he's a god. At Bama the bar starts at national championships and goes up to beating Auburn.

Much easier to coach where there's less pressure.

And I like Rich.

Oh yeah, if Tressel loses 4 in a row to Michigan he'd be gone too.
Dale Alexander

Post by Dale Alexander »

Wow...Shockley doesn't know anymore about sports than he does politics. No wonder he still lives in his mom's basement.....Dude, Waynes World is not a documentary!!!
"If the hangover came before being drunk, drinking would be a virtue."
soccerguy

Post by soccerguy »

IMO, I believe he was ready to go to Alabama until the 11th hour when WVU made a last ditch offer to keep him (when WVU officials had a closed door meeting this morning with him and Rita).

So, I hear he's getting 1.8 mil a year, more opportunities to earn money through radio, tv, endorsements, etc. PLUS, WVU has agreed to upgrade the facilities. Not a bad deal. If I was him, I would have taken it too.

He gets to stay in an area where he is comfortable, does have to uproot his family and move, has a well established team that should do well in 2007, and he's almost getting the money he would have received in AL...minus the pressure.

However, I would be pissed off if I was WVU athletics. He just got done renegotiating his contract 5 months ago...giving him more money in exchange for a longer commitment. Now, 5 months later, he's renegotiating the contract again (although it was by WVU's choice in an effort to keep him). I would have expected him to honor his contract...except for the fact that is unheard of in today's sports world.

I believe Rod did all this to get more money for him and his family (I think they call this "fair market value") while trying to upgrade the program (which they deserve if WVU wants to play on a national level). If he didn't want all this attention or really didn't want to see how much he "could get from WVU", he wouldn't have met with AL and would have told them "Thank you for thinking of me, but I'm happy where I am."

For WVU's sake, I hope they put in a HUGE payout if he decideds to leave the program next year....when they might win the Big East title, and maybe play for a national title.

Just my thoughts!
klever

Post by klever »

This time last year Georgia was saying WVU did not comprehend the quality of football in the SEC. That boat don't float.
He was "chicken" to go to Alabama? That may be the dumbest statement I have evr seen on this board. Was Saban "chicken"? Was Spurrier "chicken"?
Those of you with hyperMarshall inferiotity complexes, lay back and relax and feel lucky you have to find something else to whine about in your WVUphobia.
Schaffer

Post by Schaffer »

So Rich chickened out huh? Can't blame him. Win 7 or 8 a year in Morgantown and he's a god.
Chickened out? The guy got everything he wanted and gets to in the state he is from (and loves). We'll also see about those 7 or 8 wins. What are you smoking man.

]
At Bama the bar starts at national championships and goes up to beating Auburn.
Better try and find a coach that wants to go work in that f--ked up mess of a program before ya start waxing your national titles you feel are owed to you due to your storied past. Right now your "bar" seems to be pretty damn low. It's 0 for three so far, right. You should have been listening to ESPN today, your little gang of Big East haters is shrinking rapidly.
However, I would be pissed off if I was WVU athletics. He just got done renegotiating his contract 5 months ago...giving him more money in exchange for a longer commitment. Now, 5 months later, he's renegotiating the contract again (although it was by WVU's choice in an effort to keep him). I would have expected him to honor his contract...except for the fact that is unheard of in today's sports world.
True dat.
Jay Nunley
Swearmaster General
Swearmaster General

Post by Jay Nunley »

klever wrote: Those of you with hyperMarshall inferiotity complexes, lay back and relax and feel lucky you have to find something else to whine about in your WVUphobia.
Whoa. How did Marshall bashing get in the mix on this one? Also, how do you Marshall bashers come into existence? It must be your extraordinarily small peens.
klever

Post by klever »

No Marshall bashing, just have to figure where the WVU demeaning is coming from, sad but think the small weenie statement may be true.
Repeat after me the plane crash was 30 years ago, you have an average program in an average conference, you can't sell out your lovely stadium with comp tickets, stop the delusions, the Governor gave you a gift of getting beat by WVU for 5 years, it is what it is.
Jay Nunley
Swearmaster General
Swearmaster General

Post by Jay Nunley »

klever wrote:No Marshall bashing, just have to figure where the WVU demeaning is coming from, sad but think the small weenie statement may be true.
Repeat after me the plane crash was 30 years ago, you have an average program in an average conference, you can't sell out your lovely stadium with comp tickets, stop the delusions, the Governor gave you a gift of getting beat by WVU for 5 years, it is what it is.
All of the negative words about WVU in this thread came from people who couldn't give a shit about Marshall.

No one but you brought up the plane crash. Which was 36 years ago.

This year it was a below average team in a below average conference.

Hell, you even bashed the stadium. Why? Oh wait, that small penis thing.

What delusions?

Football is football. Almost anything can happen. A vastly inferior team can beat a vastly superior team given the right circumstances, It happens all the time. How many times has WVU beaten Virginia Blech or Miami when they weren't supposed to? What happened to WVU in that South Florida game?

I'm not a WVU hater at all, I hate Ohio State. I hate Ohio State because of their asshole fans and that stupid "The." WVU fans tend to be West Virginians so I give them a pass. I do hope Marshall beats WVU somewhere down the road. I don't care if it happens only once in fifty years. That one time is all I will ever need. I plan to bring it up constantly just to piss you small penis guys off forever and ever.
SHOCKLEY

Post by SHOCKLEY »

Wow!! What an about face... Dude pulled out on Alabama after all...

I don't know how excited I am that he is staying though...

Not with the D that the EERS had this year..
amayo

Post by amayo »

I think there's a large part of Rich that never wanted to leave WVU, and the show of support from the alums just confirmed it. Knowing Rich, and his family..I can imagine a great deal of thought went into the decision.
Yes--he'll get more money, but I truly don't think that was the prime motivation for him to stay. When he took the job, he said it was always his dream to coach WVU. I also think he got a quick dose of the pressure cooker that Bama can be when all the hoopla began around him. I have no doubt that also contributed heavily to his decision to remain at WVU.
I, for one, am glad to know he's staying.
I think the only thing that could please me more, would be to schedule the Crimson Tide, and beat the crap out of them. :twisted:
Bob Campbell

Post by Bob Campbell »

I don't hate WVU, nor do I hate Rogriquez. But anybody who thinks the Big East is comparable to the SEC in football or that WVU is a football program comparable to Bama (for all its current problems) is smoking some really good shit. Can you get me some?

For those who think the line "chickened out" is serious, I'll try to talk slower in the future. There is much less pressure to win at WVU, but it's always about money. He held up WVU for more so he stays. Bama comes back with even more...he goes.

Oh yeah, FUCK Ohio State.
Big Dawg

Post by Big Dawg »

Campbell and klever are morons. I think they're father and son. There. I had to say it.
Read Hickman's Saturday story, especially the "buyout" part. I read it's 4 million a year for the remaining years of the contract. Contract through 2013. To hire him after the 2008 season, the school hiring would have to buyout...(insert Dr. Evil voice with pinky finger up-turned at the corner of the lip) TWENTY MILLION DOLLARS.

http://www.wvgazette.com/section/News/2006120834
"Shut your festering gob"-J. Stallings