Latest on Coach Rod ... (and it's not good!)

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Will Coach Rod Go or Stay?

Poll ended at Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:14 pm

Stay
35%
Go
65%

Total votes: 20

Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

REALLY funny shit
Titties and beer...thank God almighty for titties and beer!
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

Outstanding!

</born in 'Bama>
Bob Campbell

Post by Bob Campbell »

That was some funny shit.

Now the WVU version

"We salute you Mr. Delusional Mountaineer fan,
You've never won a championship
And yet you hope you will
You're in a second tier conference
ruled by Louisville.

And I forgot where I was.

I repeat, National Championships Bama 7
WVU 0
genlock

Post by genlock »

WVU has won national championshps in Archery and Rifle marksmanship.
They are working on Suduku too.
Schaffer

Post by Schaffer »

Now the WVU version

ruled by Louisville.

Wow, that was about the stupidest thing I have ever read. You should stop while you're behind or try and be more creative. I don't mind you hating the EErs or the Big East, but hate with a brain man. Aren't you a radio guy? you respond to something so funny (would have been funny even if it were about WV) with something so lame and retarded. Keep those zingers coming.
SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

Nah, the original wasn't that great either.
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

Bob Campbell wrote:That was some funny shit.

Now the WVU version

ruled by Louisville.

I repeat, National Championships Bama 7
WVU 0
I was waiting for this. :lol:

Does the second verse mention couch burning???

8)
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
Maddog

Post by Maddog »

I've been monitoring this subject since the beginning, and I finally need to put my 2 cents in. Yes, Alabama has 7 national championships and WVU has zero. Yes, Alabama has more history than WVU. Yes, Alabama plays in a stronger conference than WVU.

However, the question is who has had more success in the most recent past. Alabama is not longer even considered a top tier team in the SEC. They have only competed for an SEC Championship once in the last 9 years, and that was in 1999, when they finished 4th in the nation. Tennessee, Florida, Georgia, Auburn and LSU all are much better football programs than Alabama. No one can say definitively if Alabama could even beat WVU, and I bet that they would be too afraid to play us, if we tried to schedule them.

Based on the last 9 years of the BCS, WVU has placed in the top 15 of the BCS 3 times, and Alabama only 2 times. And in the last 5 years of the BCS, WVU has placed in the top 15 2 times to Alabama's once. And in 2005, the year that they both placed in the BCS top 15, WVU finished with a higher rank.

So live in the past if you must, because it is all you have. Rich Rodriguez turned down a program with a lot of history and a lot of baggage, and because Alabama fans can only live in the past, he nor any other coach will never stand up to Bear Bryant, and that is why Alabama will never regain their status as a top NCAA football program. 7 titles that were won back when most current college football fans cannot even remember mean nothing now days.

By the way, I know Big East and SEC football, I attended both WVU and Tennessee. I agree that the SEC is a better conference, but Alabama fans base all arguments on their own past success, and the success of a conference in which they very rarely even compete for championships anymore.
Mark Hallburn

Post by Mark Hallburn »

>>(Bud Light theme music)
>>
>>Announcer: Bud Light Presents, "Real Men of Genius"
>>
>>Backup singer: Reaaaaal Men Of Genius
>>
>>Announcer: Today we salute you, Mr. Delusional, Irrational Alabama
>>Fan.
>>
>>Backup singer: Mr. Delusional, Irrational Alabama Faaaaaan!
>>
>>Announcer: Season after season, year after year, you try to justify
>>your absurdly high preseason ranking.
>>
>>Backup singer: Why aren't we number one?
>>
>>Announcer: You scramble to make futile attempts at damage control
>>when the Tide lose to a grossly inferior opponent.
>>
>>Backup singer: Should have hired Coach Croooooom!
>>
>>Announcer: Inevitably, you'll bring up the past, and boast of
>>championships won 20 years before you were born.
>>
>>Backup singer: Those were the daaaaaays!
>>
>>Announcer: You will point out that you have more wins than any
>>other program, as though that is relevant to the current season.
>>
>>Backup singer: Been playing since the 1880s!
>>
>>Announcer: Go on, ignore that home loss to your archrivals in the
>>regular season finale and continue to believe that you'll defeat
>>your bowl opponent with striking ease.
>>
>>Backup singer: We'll win by thirteeeeeeey!
>>
>>Announcer: So crack open an ice cold Bud Light, oh Emperor of
>>Excuses, and take comfort knowing that when you don't finish in the
>>top 25, you'll be back to number three when the preseason polls
>>come out next year.
>>
>>Backup singer: Mr. Delusional, Irrational Alabama Fan!

Possibly the funniest thing ever posted on this board![/i]
News For Putnam County
www.PutnamLIVE.com
Bob Campbell

Post by Bob Campbell »

As a Tennessee and WVU alum, well, pity is all we can have for you. We'll talk slower for you in the future.

I got a quarter for anybody who wants a piece that Bama will compete for a national championship again before WVU.
And hey, I don't hate WVU. I just know the difference between the SEC and the Big East.
soccerguy

Post by soccerguy »

I think I know where Bob is coming from in his comments...yet, I never want to be confused with putting words in his mouth.

My problem with WVU (and Marshall) is the fact they don't act like a big time program such as THE Ohio State University, Alabama, Florida, Florida State, Duke, etc...

Anytime WVU gets ranked, the state seems to go into "golly gee....we're ranked, this is so great. I can't believe it.". There is not swager like there is at the other programs. This seems to only happen at mid-majors and inconsistant programs.

The programs that have this swager EXPECT to be ranked year after year...even in a "rebuilding" year (such as the case with USC). I know these programs get better recruits, but WVU needs more than just a "we have a nice campus in the mountains with little crime" to draw some semi-blue chippers.

I believe Coach Rod buys into this mentality and needs some time to develop the program some more. He just needs the fan base to start acting like they "belong" instead of acting like an outsider that "is just happy to be there".

Just my thoughts.
Bob Campbell

Post by Bob Campbell »

Well said. And it's nearly impossible for a team like WVU to recruit with the SEC and programs like Bama. You bring a kid into Tuscaloosa, show him the statue of Bear, show him the palatial football building, show him the 7 championship trophies, all the SEC titles, a couple cheerleaders, the weather and the constant media coverage...and boom.

Rod does a great job having to use the guys who DON'T go to Ohio (fuck them) State, Miami and the like.
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

webdesignguy wrote:The programs that have this swager EXPECT to be ranked year after year...
Well done and right on the mark.
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

Bob Campbell wrote:Rod does a great job having to use the guys who DON'T go to Ohio (fuck them) State, Miami and the like.
Doesn't this fly in the face of those that say "Rod couldn't make it in 'Bama"?

If he has built a pretty respectable team from table scraps, it makes you wonder what he could do with a team built from the cream of the crop.
Mark Hallburn

Post by Mark Hallburn »

Bob:

WVU will compete NEXT season... White and Slaton are only sophomores... Pretty scary for The Big East....

Lester is right about Rod in 'Bama... He COULD have done some serious recruiting there with the legacy.

But Rodriguez knows he will have a national contender next year and likely couldn't resist the urge to stay and coach that team.

Also, he has strong ties to West Virginia... Until he gets offered $3 million a year after a strong finish next season. A similar situation exists at Rutgers. Look for BOTH coaches to be gone next year... And maybe the Rutgers guy will replace Rodriguez at WVU??? Or maybe Alabama will offer him their current job...
News For Putnam County
www.PutnamLIVE.com
soccerguy

Post by soccerguy »

Coach Rod didn't stay in WV because "he will have a national contender next year".

He stayed because he got almost the same money 'Bama was offering, better money for his coaches, and the promise that the facilities will be improved to his liking. He got all this and didn't have to move. The chance to be at the top is a bonus.

I don't expect him to leave anytime in the next few years due to the buyout imposed by WVU. It's a case of fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.
SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

I think the actual phrase is 'Fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again'.
Maddog

Post by Maddog »

Swagger means nothing, if you can't deliver. Alabama hasn't delivered or really competed in years. Alabama does get recruits based on history and success of the conference as a whole, but those same recruits are not performing at a level worthy of the swagger you claim. Like it or not, Alabama isn't even the best football program in Alabama, and until they can achieve that status, they will not be competing for a national championship anytime soon. By the way, the fact that Coach Rod and WVU not only compete with lesser recruits from Ohio, Pennsylvania, Florida, and Alabama (Pat White - how did Bama let that one get away), they've done so for the last 5+ years with greater success than the stud recruits that Bama has. Maybe swagger does mean as much as performance on the field of play, something that Alabama hasn't done a whole lot of in recent history.

WVU is on the rise, and as fans, we are buying in to what Coach Rod is doing with the program, and the school's commitment to quality facilities. The Big East is also committing resources to the schools to develop a better image for the conference. It will not happen overnight, but WVU, Louisville, Rutgers, and the other universities in the Big East are committed to quality and growth of their conference.

The Big East will continue to grow, and I predict that when all is said and done, the Big East will be one of the premiere conferences in the country. They may never reach the status of the SEC, Big 10, or Pac 10, but they will no longer be considered the Big Least, and they will not lose their automatic BCS bid.

They've recovered from the rape and pillage of the ACC a lot sooner than I or anyone else projected, and I believe that the ACC is now suffering and will continue to suffer. Maybe the ACC should lose their automatic bid to the BCS.
Kitesgot

Post by Kitesgot »

Swagger?

Geez people.

Where do you think that "swagger" is coming from?

IT'S FROM PEOPLE LIKE LEE CORSO and most other ESPN, or sports purists who live in past legacies.

When I watch a game on TV, or follow the season, the only people that mention 'swagger' are commentators of the sport, NOT the universities themselves. The teams to me just go out and play their games and let that speak for itself. ANY team that is ranked in the Top 10 have their communities buzzing about it. ANY of them do, especially coming down the stretch when a BCS bowl is within reach.

You guys make it sound as if the Athletic Departments of the schools manage to "swagger" themselves.

If WVU wins a national championship, it will be regarded as a "fluke" or a lucky season. If they win 2 in 3 years, they're still going to be regarded by many as a magical Hoosier team, and Bama has still won 7 national titles to WVU's 2.

You WVU guys are fun to watch because no matter WHAT you write, you'll NEVER, EVER make an impact, you'll only get, "yeah, but still."

There's no point in any argument about it. Minds will never be changed when it comes to this shit.

Haven't you learned anything from arguing the Marshall/WVU comparisons from earlier threads? YOU'LL NEVER MAKE ANY POINT STICK!

Also, I brought this up in an earlier post-----the only thing I can figure out is either Bob is paranoid, or has OCD. I don't know how many times it's possible for someone to write; "THE SEC IS THE TOUGHEST CONFERENCE" without getting into the Guiness Book of World Records.
Reminds me of the scene in "The Shining" when Jack Nicholson started to go nuts and began typing, "all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" over and over.

Me thinks Bob is losing it.

"Swagger" is about the dumbest concept I've seen yet in this thread, if you believe the team has anything to do with it. The media is the ONLY way any perceived "swagger" is presented to the masses. All the teams have time to do is win their damn games. They don't seem to get much airtime outside of that.

If WVU is having a great year and kicked everyone's ass and goes to a BCS game or plays for the national title, I'll cheer for them and be excited to watch it.
If Marshall ------ditto.

If Alabama-------I'll watch the game and enjoy it, but without much passion one way or another.

Must suck to be so damn tilted that if anyone outside the SEC gets to the BCS all you can do is grumble about the good old days.
soccerguy

Post by soccerguy »

Actually.....I never said anything about the athletic department having the swagger. Most of the programs are trained to be hunmble in front of the cameras. I am talking about the fans.

Alabama fans - "We belong here!"

WVU fans - "It's so great just to be a part of this."