WWHY-1470 1963 music surveys

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

genlock

Post by genlock »

WWHY's east end location was on top of a bank building across
from East High School. It was a glass enclosure with a fiberglass horse on
top of it. The offices were in the 2nd floor of a building that now has a Sam's
hot dog stand. I really wanted to steal that horse for some reason.
I think the horse went to Barboursville, Near the pink elephant.
A western wear store has it. It was a full sized model horse.
I think WWHY was country and western at that time.
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

genlock wrote:WWHY's east end location was on top of a bank building across from East High School.
The old Valley National Bank, near the former Sears & Roebuck store.
I think the horse went to Barboursville, Near the pink elephant.
A western wear store has it. It was a full sized model horse.
Are you sure it wasn't at Lady Godiva's? *

* The titty bar on US Route 60 near the mall

:)
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
MarkPatrick

Post by MarkPatrick »

I recall Gary Miller ("Music") once telling me that the first song he ever played on any radio station ever was "How Can You Mend a Broken Heart" by the Bee Gees on WWHY. They must have been Top 40 in the early 70s. I also remember him telling me they went country shortly after he got there. I do believe they were in the Frederick building then.
MarkPatrick

Post by MarkPatrick »

Oh, and I forgot this one, and someone can correct me, but I think Miller told me he called Hustead on his talk show (in high school) and was actually hired for his first regular radio gig when Dick asked him what he wanted to do for a living. They met and the rest is history.
bmiller

Post by bmiller »

I believe the plastic horse did its first service on the marquee at the "Thoroughbred Club" in downtown Huntington. In the early-to-mid 70s, that was THE hangout for Huntington's radio people. Several of us made our way over there after finishing the 6 to mid shift. Jim Schneider (The Flying Dutchman), Russ Thompson, and many others were regulars at the place during the wee hours. I've helped close the place down a time or two myself. Signature drink.."The Timberwolf". What was in it? They'd never tell us. At the end of the bar most nights, wearing those ice-blue aviator glasses and holding court...the one and only Dick Hustead.
TallPaulInKy

Russ Thompson and Jim Schneider

Post by TallPaulInKy »

bmiller wrote about the "Thoroughbred Club" in downtown Huntington. "In the early-to-mid 70s, that was THE hangout for Huntington's radio people. Several of us made our way over there after finishing the 6 to mid shift. Jim Schneider (The Flying Dutchman), Russ Thompson, and many others were regulars at the place during the wee hours."

No wonder Russ was always in a hurry to get out of WSAZ when I came in to replace him at 11 PM. This was 1970 and we were still downtown on 2nd Avenue.

Russ Thompson speaks to you out of the past at this link:

http://www.wwhsalumni.org/sounds/wsaz_may_1970.mp3

Whatever happened to him?

Jim Schneider was really something. My first regular shift in radio was Sunday mornings at KEE. Jim was supposed to come in an replace me at 12 noon. He always cut it right to the last minute, usually walking in while his first record (which I picked and started for him) was playing. I know he wasn't sitting in the lobby, he apparently slept as late as possible and had his drive from home in Chesapeake timed to the minute. he looked like he had just rolled out of the bed.

One Sunday Jim forgot and left his billfold at home, and had no change in his pocket, so he didn't have the toll for the 6th street bridge. He walked in 15 minutes late, face beet red, because he had been arguing with the toll taker that he was late for work and had to get across the bridge. Jim was really upset because he (Jim) had been blocking traffic and the toll taker didn't seem to care. He just wanted his toll. The toll taker was an older guy and never heard of Jim Schneider.

Jim didn't learn anything from the experience, he continued coming in at the last minuite, the rest of the time I worked there.

There are a few color pictures of me in that old studio at this link:

http://members.aol.com/jeff560/whtn1.html

Paul Urbahns
Radcliff, Ky