Parkersburg numbers

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Dr. Whiplash

Parkersburg numbers

Post by Dr. Whiplash »

WNUS Clear Channel COUNTRY 16.6 15.5 14.8
WGGE Burbach COUNTRY 13.5 14.8 13.4
WHBR Burbach ACTIVE ROCK 9.2 7.1 8.1
WDMX Clear Channel OLDIES 5.5 7.1 7.4
WRVB Clear Channel CHR/POP 9.8 8.4 7.4
WRZZ Burbach CLASSIC ROCK 4.3 4.5 6.7
WVVV Bennco AC 5.5 7.1 6.7
WXIL Burbach HOT AC 6.1 5.2 6
WLTP Clear Channel TALK 3.7 3.9 4
WADC Burbach ADULT STDS 1.2 1.3 1.3
WJAW Jawco SPORTS 0.6 1.3 1.3
WHNK Clear Channel CLASSIC COUNTRY 1.2 1.3 0.7
WMOA Jawco AC 1.2 1.3 0.7
WRRR Seven Ranges AC 1.2 1.3 0.7
WVNT Burbach CHILDRENS 1.2 0.6 0.7
Big Media

Re: Parkersburg numbers

Post by Big Media »

Dr. Whiplash wrote:WVNT Burbach CHILDRENS 1.2 0.6 0.7
8O What kind of format is that? Never heard of such a thing.
The-Hammer

Re: Parkersburg numbers

Post by The-Hammer »

fanofbigmedia wrote:
Dr. Whiplash wrote:WVNT Burbach CHILDRENS 1.2 0.6 0.7
8O What kind of format is that? Never heard of such a thing.
It would appear that no-one else has either.
Anthony DiNozzo: "I'm a white male between the ages of 18 and 49 with a loud mouth and a gun. I am the American Dream."

"Any technology, no matter how primitive, is magic to those who don't understand it" - Ambrose's Corollary to Clarke's Third Law.
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

Radio Disney?
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

Lester wrote:Radio Disney?
Yup.

8)
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
Dr. Whiplash

Post by Dr. Whiplash »

Actually, WKYG-Disney switched to WVNT-talk about three years ago but nobody noticed.

Same old, same old for PKB. WRVB trending downward. WDMX (ABC oldies) has stablized. WRZZ gets boost from re-tooling from CC's dead Fox to Burbach's hands-on attention and heritage approach. Otherwise it's quiet...too quiet.
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

Remember when WXIL used to be the shit?

Now it's just.... shit.
Dr. Whiplash

Post by Dr. Whiplash »

Man, what a station that was! (It must have been a little weird to work there during the Mall days, though. Talk about living in a fishbowl.) For anyone who missed the legendary WXIL there's a nice writeup and audio clips at reelradio.com.
Greg Goodfellow

Post by Greg Goodfellow »

Dr. Whiplash wrote:Man, what a station that was! (It must have been a little weird to work there during the Mall days, though. Talk about living in a fishbowl.) For anyone who missed the legendary WXIL there's a nice writeup and audio clips at reelradio.com.
You are correct, sir about it once being an awesome station. They owned the Mid-Ohio valley.
"Television is a medium because anything well done is rare."
~ Fred Allen ~

“Radio is the theater of the mind; television is the theater of the mindless”-Steve Allen
The Punk WV

Post by The Punk WV »

Didn't WXIL used to be an AC station?
Best Signature Ever!!!!
Uncle Shishkabob

Post by Uncle Shishkabob »

WXIL in the mall was one great radio station, belive me I was part of it. Since I did morning drive it wasn't that weird. However across the hall was a store called "A Shop Called East" The manager Gerry Petros did nights on XIL as "The Cosmic Wonder Gerry Stone." Anyone know his whereaboutrs? I havent spoken to him in decades.
Greg Goodfellow

Post by Greg Goodfellow »

Uncle Shishkabob wrote:WXIL in the mall was one great radio station, belive me I was part of it. Since I did morning drive it wasn't that weird. However across the hall was a store called "A Shop Called East" The manager Gerry Petros did nights on XIL as "The Cosmic Wonder Gerry Stone." Anyone know his whereaboutrs? I havent spoken to him in decades.
It was a shame that the now-past 30th anniversary of the station couldn't have been more celebrated. Think of it-as many of the jocks as could be assembled to show up in the mall for a night of reminiscing. By the way, Shish, I think it was you that one time fired off one liner after another after another (after another, ad nauseum).

WXIL also had a guy in long enough for a cup of coffee that went by 'The Unknown DJ' that played off the 'Gong Show's 'Unknown Comic,' the guy with the paper bag over his head. He was very loud and spoke very quickly. His career ended about as swiftly.

At one time, WXIL had some of the most fun-to-listen to jocks to be found anywhere, including the glory days of 14-WK (WKWK-FM) in Wheeling. I just pray that the pendulum swings back and allows for more personality radio-before it becomes too late.
"Television is a medium because anything well done is rare."
~ Fred Allen ~

“Radio is the theater of the mind; television is the theater of the mindless”-Steve Allen
jag

Post by jag »

I implore, beseech and beg (if I must) that you forgive my ignorance about something...

What is "ACTIVE Rock?"
Jay Nunley
Swearmaster General
Swearmaster General

Post by Jay Nunley »

jag wrote:
What is "ACTIVE Rock?"
It's just a name for a specific flavor of rock station.

WAMX is an active rock.

Basically, it means you have a much higher percentage of current/recurrent than a mainstream rock like WKLC. It can also mean you lean heavily on the late 80's and early 90's for your gold titles.

However, the lines between all rock format types continue to blur more and more. An active rock in one town may be completely different from an active rock in another town.

Classic Rock
Heritage Rock
Mainstream Rock
Active Rock
Alternative

There used to be clear lines defining each of those "formats." Those lines were artificial in that they were created by radio programmers as opposed to being created by listener's music tastes.
ErieDJ

Post by ErieDJ »

Sad to see 95XIL that far down in the pack. I worked there for a couple years in 1981 and 1982 (back when it was in the Trader's Federal building) and it was #1 book after book.

Sad.