New Broadcasting Company coming soon

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

kentuckymedia

Post by kentuckymedia »

Oh man Hoosier Daddy, you stole my idea!

When I worked in Pikeville and even Prestonsburg. So many offices would listen to Country or Country or Q95. Your telling me that an AC station wouldnt work?

It must be programmed right. It would be like telling me 3 years ago AC wouldnt have a chance in Huntington? How about 4 years ago saying AC wouldnt have a chance in Clarksburg (excluding WDCI).

Radio is what you make of it. Its all theater of the mind. If you can print on the listeners forehead that you are here all the time, and you want to be their companion, or their escape...guess what....you win!

You have to be TOP OF MIND, TARGET PROGRAMMED and DELIVER THE LISTENERS WANTS AND NEEDS!

Top 40, AC whatever. If you have 30 country stations in one town, not all 30 are going to be #1. Correct me if im wrong on that last statement.
genlock

Post by genlock »

How many listeners would you drive to I-pod or satellite by changing the format to "YOUR" preference. WVOW has spent 60 or so years building an audience and sales clients. Why ruin all that so some twit could play the music he likes.
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

I once really, really, really, really, really had to go. I stopped at the mall in Mt Airy, NC ,and bolted insidel, rapidly searching out the mall map. Dang it! The bathroom was clear at the other end of the mall!

It turned out okay, though....the other end of the mall was only a 45-second walk.

Small-town malls are not good for mall-walking.
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

Arp2 wrote:I once really, really, really, really, really had to go.
Had to drop a couple of commas off at the pool, did you?

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

8)
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

For a minute I thought I should be concerned about my job. BTW, thanks for the kind words, Genlock. I don't know how much more "local feel" you can get that what we do now. We're doing the middle school basketball championship game Saturday morning, for God's sake,and have you ever heard Tradin' Post or The Friendly Neighbor Show on Saturday morning? Any more local and we would be giving you the weather live from your medicine cabinet while you shave in the mornings.
Titties and beer...thank God almighty for titties and beer!
kentuckymedia

Post by kentuckymedia »

Hello All-

Great to hear! Im really excited that your doing this on the station. I am not from Logan, but it is a great market to mine (no pun intended).

I never meant to make you feel as if I would actually purchase the station and it will not change anytime soon. Never meant for it to be taken that way. By the way, would you like to borrow a tie?

To me, all stations need to have a presentation value. KOIT in San Fran would just be another station. WLTW in New York would just be another station. I could go on and on. Many might say, stop using large markets...okay..Huntington, MAGIC. Somerset, THE LAKE. etc, etc.

All I meant is that if I ever had the opportunity to purchase the station (which when I buy stations, they will prolly be in the Carolinas, Tennessee and Georgia) I would really put a lot of emphasis on strong programming concepts, hire research groups, etc. You can always grow. Even Howard Stern used to get airchecks because he knew he would never be at his best and there is always room to grow.

Oi...all to a better formation of radio concepts....
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

What the hell ever.

Dave is a quar from way back.

He's Logan's local-answer to Ed Wood and has pics on his site to prove it.
------------------------
Cameron Smith - CSRE®
Senior Member - SBE 68 Birmingham
Senior Web Project Manager - Digital eCommerce at Hibbett Sports
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

...not that there is anything wrong with that!

Competition does nothing but make you stronger and in the end the more choices the listeners have the better.

But, ain't nobody can sell chickens and goats on Tradin' Post like we can, By Gawd!
kentuckymedia

Post by kentuckymedia »

I helped launch a AM/FM combo back a couple years in Cambridge Ohio. Man...they loved, I mean LOVED tradin post. Its crazy...thats for sure!
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

On the WFIN post (about the tower that fell yesterday), I noticed they have a link to their "Tradio" program on their website.

http://www.wfin.com/tradio/tradio.htm

:)
lastone

Post by lastone »

Genlock wrote:
Studios at Mountain View.
Naw.......just put the whole thing at the intersection atop Horsepin!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
http://www.thenewoldiesshow.com
WRSG Knights 91.5 Middlebourne-Sistersville, WV 5 PM Eastern Wednesdays (Repeats 7 AM Thursdays).
106.3 The Double Q, Farmington, Iowa, 10-11 AM Central time, Wednesdays.
Buckeye Broadcasting, Cambridge, Ohio, 10 AM Eastern time Friday and other days on Live 365.com
WBPS 101.9, Cambridge, Ohio
KZBZ 92.1, Williams, Arizona,
Sundays.
fearpeddler

Post by fearpeddler »

kentuckymedia wrote:Maybe build a state of the art studio complex in Beebe right along US 119. Open a sales office in Delbarton to serve Mingo County and have a linked news room there as well.

1290 WVOW News/Talk/Sports "News Radio West Virginia 1290 AM"

1360 WHJC News/Talk/Sports "News Radio West Virginia 1360 AM"

101.9 WVOW Adult Contemporary "1019 Lite FM - Continuous Lite Rock"

106.7 WVKM Adult Top 40 "K106.7 - #1 For Today's Hit Music"

If you could get another signal at say 4,000 watts at Man or Delbarton, I would put on a Heritage Rock format.

When building the stations up in revenue, offer local sporting events on Newsradio West Virginia and 101.9.

SW-WVA and E-KY have been in dire need of a well programmed AC station. Everyone is doing Country or some form of Classic Hits or Classic Rock or Oldies. If someone walked in with a brain for AC...it would be the powerhouse station!
hahah, delbarton??!!!????? might as well go for the gold man and put it in kermit if you're gonna settle with delbarton.. wvow is a station with alot of history and their signal is really good. I will ruin my own credit to save it if anyone tried to change it. and dude... AC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! have you actually spoken with any of the people who actually live there?? not just the ones that commute to charleston or pikeville to work??, the best format for that area is a mix of that crap the beat plays and all the country you can cram into it.
Doesn't MSNBC stand for the Media that Spins the News for Barrack's Cabinet?

Political Correctness is always having to say you're sorry. - Me
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

I live here and I think the morning guy and the afternoon chick are terrible.
lastone

Post by lastone »

Clearly kentuckymedia has no clue about the market or the area, other than looking at a map and thinking "what if?". The reality is the stations that now exist in that area find it rough to make ends meet and always have. Advertising dollars rise and fall in great part with the coal industry there.

There was however, a glimer of hope for competition to WVOW in the late eighties. The FCC opened up an 'A' freq. for Chapmansville. No one took it and it disapeared. Today it may have been 25 KW barking down VOW 's throat! Much supprised no one has tried it again.

I think my upgraded VKM ( I took 'em up to 25 KW in '94) switched to country receintly. They had been wanting to be a clone rock105 but couldn't find an identity. I can only assume the internal problems have continued.
Last edited by lastone on Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
http://www.thenewoldiesshow.com
WRSG Knights 91.5 Middlebourne-Sistersville, WV 5 PM Eastern Wednesdays (Repeats 7 AM Thursdays).
106.3 The Double Q, Farmington, Iowa, 10-11 AM Central time, Wednesdays.
Buckeye Broadcasting, Cambridge, Ohio, 10 AM Eastern time Friday and other days on Live 365.com
WBPS 101.9, Cambridge, Ohio
KZBZ 92.1, Williams, Arizona,
Sundays.
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

daveinthemorning wrote:I live here and I think the morning guy and the afternoon chick are terrible.
The morning guy is about 3 feet tall, wears a bandana and sunglasses, and chain smokes while drinking a cold one.

The afternoon chick rocks.

:wink:
genlock

Post by genlock »

Has this new broadcasting company been sighted yet?
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Last One, 'VKM now calls themselves "Kicks 106" and they run a classic hits satellite most of them time, split with country.

I still say competition only makes you stronger.
kentuckymedia

Post by kentuckymedia »

Interestingly enough her name showed up as part of the transaction for Galaxy's sell off to EMF. Hmmmm
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Who's name?
SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

daveinthemorning wrote:Any more local and we would be giving you the weather live from your medicine cabinet while you shave in the mornings.
That might well be the funniest thing I've ever read on here.