Nice Work Debra Linz

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

lastone

Post by lastone »

Nunley wrote:
Rick Lord wrote:
But when people that don't have the guts to post their actual names start blasting others, it just strikes me as cowardly. Have a nice day

You'll find that particular brand of cowardice quite a bit on this board. Some people use pseudonyms to maintain anonimity because their employers have ordered them to stay off discussion boards. There are other legitimate reasons for fake identities, but many of them are just douchebags without the testicular fortitude to own their words.

You get used to it.
There are as many reasons to use fake names as there are persons on this board. My own are quite simple. I use "lastone" for many times I feel like the only one who still gives a damn about listeners, even though I'm not on air now. And as for "Jim Mack", I tried Harold in the morning but unlike Logan's Dave, the callers asked when "Mack" would be back...so he never left!

I think I have mentioned here about the guy with the shotgun waiting for me on the street because I didn't play his song...and the guy that paid me a visit with his pearl grip 45s to get me to play his wife's new release.

There are many such stories from the jocks on here. Most put up with things from listeners a TV personality wouldn't fathom.

I would suggest Mr. Lord walk in the shoes before he stomps the toes.
http://www.thenewoldiesshow.com
WRSG Knights 91.5 Middlebourne-Sistersville, WV 5 PM Eastern Wednesdays (Repeats 7 AM Thursdays).
106.3 The Double Q, Farmington, Iowa, 10-11 AM Central time, Wednesdays.
Buckeye Broadcasting, Cambridge, Ohio, 10 AM Eastern time Friday and other days on Live 365.com
WBPS 101.9, Cambridge, Ohio
KZBZ 92.1, Williams, Arizona,
Sundays.
Rick Lord

Post by Rick Lord »

SCam wrote:Rick I want to know why the lighting over your desk is so poor? Does it make you squint when you type your scripts ... oh wait you don't write anything you just read like a trained monkey!

Oh snap! OKC in the house!

Don't ever stand me up again Lord!!!!!!
Cameron, I must admit, I have had to rewrite far fewer scripts since you left. I think the grammatical mistakes in our newsroom were halved the day you took off! :lol: As for standing you up-- I was in Cleveland! Gimme a break, buddy! Oh, and thanks for yelling at Tyson Chandler for me-- dude's been a beast on the boards for the last month.
Rick Lord

Post by Rick Lord »

ap news alert wrote:I or "we" don't need to post a name and it's out of cowardice. Debra might be nice, she might be a good anchor, but she also has a rep for being a dumb airhead. And Rick, that comes from people at your own station.
I never called YOU a coward, AP. I was just saying that verbally blasting someone while logged on under a pen name can be VIEWED as a cowardly act. You are certainly entitled to your opinion. And again, I think you do a fine job.
Rick Lord

Post by Rick Lord »

lastone wrote:Nunley wrote:
Rick Lord wrote:
But when people that don't have the guts to post their actual names start blasting others, it just strikes me as cowardly. Have a nice day

You'll find that particular brand of cowardice quite a bit on this board. Some people use pseudonyms to maintain anonimity because their employers have ordered them to stay off discussion boards. There are other legitimate reasons for fake identities, but many of them are just douchebags without the testicular fortitude to own their words.

You get used to it.
There are as many reasons to use fake names as there are persons on this board. My own are quite simple. I use "lastone" for many times I feel like the only one who still gives a damn about listeners, even though I'm not on air now. And as for "Jim Mack", I tried Harold in the morning but unlike Logan's Dave, the callers asked when "Mack" would be back...so he never left!

I think I have mentioned here about the guy with the shotgun waiting for me on the street because I didn't play his song...and the guy that paid me a visit with his pearl grip 45s to get me to play his wife's new release.

There are many such stories from the jocks on here. Most put up with things from listeners a TV personality wouldn't fathom.

I would suggest Mr. Lord walk in the shoes before he stomps the toes.
Lastone, you are just going to have to trust me on this: You REALLY don't want to get into the whole "what we have to put up with from crazy/psycho/angry listeners/viewers" game. And I guarantee you, for every story I can tell, Ralston has a dozen. Look, I'm not trying to point any fingers or take jabs at anyone; it's actually quite the contrary. I can honestly say that every TV person I've met in this market does a great job, and is a nice person. And that goes double for the radio people I've met, who work twice as hard as we do. I just don't understand from where all the hate comes. That's all; I'm tapped out. As Peter said to the two Bobs: "Good luck with all your firings."
Ace Purple

Post by Ace Purple »

Rick Lord wrote:You REALLY don't want to get into the whole "what we have to put up with from crazy/psycho/angry listeners/viewers" game. And I guarantee you, for every story I can tell, Ralston has a dozen.
Agreed. I think most people on here who have worked in broadcasting for very long can vouch for that.
On Twitter: @LouPickney
Schaffer

Post by Schaffer »

Damn Rick, you're gettin this gang riled up tonight. I agree that much of what is posted on this board is humorous, hell that's what keeps me coming back. You and the rest of your crew do a hell of a job. I no longer live in the area, but always check ya out when I come home to see the family. I could not agree more about the name issue on this board. I make a great (and fun) living doing radio, and have NEVER worked for ANYBODY who gives a damn about what goes on in an internet message board. People with radio and TV stations to run, tend to be too busy for such things. My name is Schaffer, and I steal company trash bags! Sorry, just proving my point.

Keep up the good work man.
Bob Campbell

Post by Bob Campbell »

Except for that damn Kennie Bass. What a prick. Gee, I hope I used my fake screen name to post this one.
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

let me just go on record and say i'm THANKFUL i'm not in TV. i've seen first hand what they go through on a daily basis. they can't go to the store without getting recognised. Come on, radio f*ckers, you know you'd sh!t yourself if someone recognised you going into that big ass pron shop over near the cheetah (is that place still there? there was this one chick back in the day DAMN!!!) anyway, yeah, love the anonimity of radio.

glad to see more true broadcast professionals on the board though, WELCOME!!!!

and yes i know i can't spell for sh!t :)
I'm not an idiot, but I play one on the radio.
genlock

Post by genlock »

Radio guys are always recognized by the fact that they are wearing radio tee-shirts.
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

damn, and i was totally wondering how that lady in Food Lion knew that i rented "Sweet Drunken College Lesbians 6" last week.... *sigh* i guess i need to take a trip to the goodwill store for different shirts now...
I'm not an idiot, but I play one on the radio.
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

Rick Lord wrote:I get a kick out of this board; most comments are genuinely humorous. But when people that don't have the guts to post their actual names start blasting others, it just strikes me as cowardly. Have a nice day :D
So if I said, "...to hell with you Rick Lord", you'd respect the fact I attached my real name to it?

...hypothetically :wink:

Just funnin', Rick

Back to the lisp-thing. Is there no such thing as speech-therapy? I hear jock's crack-open the microphone all the time thinking they're, "Goddth gifftth". In the Marshall broadcasting program, one was required to go to get an evaulation from a speech therapist. The university offered free speech therapy. Several (but not all) of the sports-voices you hear in the area took advantage of these services. The English language is an evolving thing, though, perhaps we're all moving to the point where we spray our words.
------------------------
Cameron Smith - CSRE®
Senior Member - SBE 68 Birmingham
Senior Web Project Manager - Digital eCommerce at Hibbett Sports
SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

Rick Lord wrote:I can honestly say that every TV person I've met in this market does a great job, and is a nice person. And that goes double for the radio people I've met, who work twice as hard as we do.
HOLY CRAP! Did I just read that right? A TV person who DIDN'T look down his nose at the radio peeps working in the same market...?

8O

m-my pills. I need my pills!

Rick... you need to post in here more often. You're alright with me, mate. (psst - radio people aren't scum. Pass it on.)
Bob Campbell

Post by Bob Campbell »

C'mon Lord, you WORK with Bass for godsake. You know he's a worthless waste of sking. Quite a lot of skin at that. And he's my best friend, so I say this with love.

I hope I used my fake screen name again. I don't want people finding out I'm really Jessica Ralston.
genlock

Post by genlock »

How do we know this guy is really Rick Lord?
Maybe he just wants us to think that he is.
I think it is kenny B. Ass.
kaos

Post by kaos »

[quote]Cameron
The university offered free speech therapy. Several (but not all) of the sports-voices you hear in the area took advantage of these services

Clearly Woody Woodrum and Greg Cyrus did not take advantage of this offer. It would seem Robert Harper missed his sessions too.
Mr. Smith

Post by Mr. Smith »

As part of my job, I know people in radio and TV. I've never heard TV people "look down" on radio people. Where is that coming from?
genlock

Post by genlock »

TV people are generally much taller than radio types.
Both radio and TV people have small hands tho.
SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

Mr. Smith wrote:As part of my job, I know people in radio and TV. I've never heard TV people "look down" on radio people. Where is that coming from?
Plenty of local tv people I've known over the years have treated radio like it's some sort of college hobby and that we're all just happy amateurs. That was, of course, unless they needed an angle for a national story and they had to invade my studio for a "callers to WPHN's 'Live 59' program had THIS to say" angle. I heard it from a few folks in our news department, too.

But there have been plenty of good ones over the years. 8's Bill Robertson crossed a whole length of a restaurant to roar "I LOVE YOUR SHOW" at me once, which was nice. And Scott "Action" Saxton was a firm fixture on our old show.
SCam

Post by SCam »

Bad grammar? I ain't got no bad grammar! Hey just because the SONICS smakced the SUNS down handing Phoenix their worst defeat of the season last night is no reason for you to take your anger out on the rest of us Rick!!!

By the way, word on the streets is that Clay Bennet is moving the SONICS to OKC. The land of Cows rules!

If I have to walk down to the Ford Center and smack Tyson Chandler in the face one more time to get him to play, lord help me I'll do it, all in the name of fantasy sports!!!!!
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

At all levels but the highest, in virtually any market of same or similar size, the level of talent in radio is much higher than that in tv.
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"