Nice Work Debra Linz

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

lastone

Post by lastone »

Arp2 wrote:
At all levels but the highest, in virtually any market of same or similar size, the level of talent in radio is much higher than that in tv.
Because there is a lot more to a radio show than reading a prompter or or taking directions from and/or repeating what you're told in your ear!
TV "readers" are a drain on our entertainment system! :lol:

So you sometimes write what you read...just be ready to show a concerned look when you tell us about the dead bodies!
http://www.thenewoldiesshow.com
WRSG Knights 91.5 Middlebourne-Sistersville, WV 5 PM Eastern Wednesdays (Repeats 7 AM Thursdays).
106.3 The Double Q, Farmington, Iowa, 10-11 AM Central time, Wednesdays.
Buckeye Broadcasting, Cambridge, Ohio, 10 AM Eastern time Friday and other days on Live 365.com
WBPS 101.9, Cambridge, Ohio
KZBZ 92.1, Williams, Arizona,
Sundays.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Oooh, Last one..that's going to leave a mark!
Titties and beer...thank God almighty for titties and beer!
lastone

Post by lastone »

Daveinthemorning wrote:
Oooh, Last one..that's going to leave a mark!
Just a bit cranky today Dave. Been writing about the 77 flood. Someting I should have done long ago. I'm posting it on my web site as I write it. But I do think there is more to a radio show than an anchor reading a script any day!
Last edited by lastone on Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.thenewoldiesshow.com
WRSG Knights 91.5 Middlebourne-Sistersville, WV 5 PM Eastern Wednesdays (Repeats 7 AM Thursdays).
106.3 The Double Q, Farmington, Iowa, 10-11 AM Central time, Wednesdays.
Buckeye Broadcasting, Cambridge, Ohio, 10 AM Eastern time Friday and other days on Live 365.com
WBPS 101.9, Cambridge, Ohio
KZBZ 92.1, Williams, Arizona,
Sundays.
Dave Loudin

Post by Dave Loudin »

Envisioned TV Guy response: "Get back to me when you see an "As Heard On Radio" store at the mall!"
Aircheck? You'd make a great board op.
Chris Lawrence

Post by Chris Lawrence »

[quote="genlock"]TV people are generally much taller than radio types.
Both radio and TV people have small hands tho.[/quote]

Not always buddy.
"If you're too busy to go fishing....you're too busy, rightO..." Lew Childre
genlock

Post by genlock »

Most always, shrimp.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

If you've seen Erin's chest you'll know not everything is small. But then you can look at my.....never mind
Mr. Smith

Post by Mr. Smith »

From my point of view. I see both sides. I know TV anchors who work their tails off by reporting on stories in the field, writing stories, even producing their own newscasts.
I also know that many local anchors (8, 3, 13) are lazy and have zero respect from their underlings. I'm referring to anchors who come in late everyday because they "feel like it" or are out "running errands". I'm referring to anchors who are notorious for 2-3 hour "lunch breaks" or spending most of their work time chatting on the phone or shopping on the internet. I hear the bitching about these anchors all of the time.
So, what is the solution? There isn't any, I would suppose. We know they are only talking heads, so let them be what they are.
The only "anchors" in the local market that I've actually heard that do real work are Tim Irr (from 3) Jessica Ralston (from 3) Bill Murry (3) and Rick Dayton (13). As for those "Rick Lord" and "Sandra Cole\Penny Moss" types, I've only heard about talking heads with nothing to back it up.
Chris Lawrence

Post by Chris Lawrence »

How's this for picking out the radio guy in a crowd. He's still got the hairstyle that he entered radio, he's wearing a faux satin jacket with call letters emblazend across the back, a concert t-shirt his weasled from a promoter for free mentions on the air, and he just paid for his meal at the local fast food chain with station prize certificates.

His breath smells of coffee, his hair and clothes smell of cigarettes, and his eyes are sunk back in his head with dark bags below after years of sleep depravation from getting to work at 4am and working till 6pm on remotes.

THAT guy--definitely in radio.
"If you're too busy to go fishing....you're too busy, rightO..." Lew Childre
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Chris, you just described Dave in the Morning with a few modifications.

1. Hairstyle not the same as when I was in high school. I proudly sported the coolest mullet you've ever seen then.

2. No cigarette odor with me. Only the odor of hookers and cheap beer.
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

daveinthemorning wrote: 2. No cigarette odor with me. Only the odor of hookers and cheap beer.
and those logan county hookers stink REAL pretty...

not that i... ummm.... have any *cough* experience.... ummmm in that area of expertise.....
I'm not an idiot, but I play one on the radio.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

That's my momma you're talking about!
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

ok.... and?

so, you're saying that you smell like cheap beer and your hooker mom???? i was reading Freud today as a matter of fact :)
I'm not an idiot, but I play one on the radio.
omgyoukilledkenny

Post by omgyoukilledkenny »

"At all levels but the highest, in virtually any market of same or similar size, the level of talent in radio is much higher than that in tv."

Upon what do you base that 'fact'?
Life is like a simile.
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

omgyoukilledkenny wrote:
At all levels but the highest, in virtually any market of same or similar size, the level of talent in radio is much higher than that in tv.
Upon what do you base that 'fact'?
Eyes and ears. Go ahead and try it.

I mean, we could get into things like the expansion of cable outlets and fourth and fifth local channels doing news pulling talent upwards and physical appearance eliminating many otherwise strong talents from TV right off the bat, but eyes and ears are really all you need.

A note: Compare locally only when the radio and TV markets are roughly the same size; in WV, that would rule out Huntington, Charleston, Morgantown, and probably Wheeling.
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"
omgyoukilledkenny

Post by omgyoukilledkenny »

"Eyes and ears. Go ahead and try it. "

Ah, just as I suspected...conjecture. :wink:

Talent is an abstract and, therefore, cannot be measured. Eyes and ears can add to one's opinion and make certain educated guesses, but to accurately judge the 'level' of something that has no physical substance is simply not possible.

Sorry to play the logic card gang, please resume the booger flicking.
Life is like a simile.
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

Nevertheless, it's true.

8) :P 8)
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

omgyoukilledkenny wrote:Sorry to play the logic card gang, please resume the booger flicking.
:lol:
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
Rick Lord

Post by Rick Lord »

Mr. Smith wrote: The only "anchors" in the local market that I've actually heard that do real work are Tim Irr (from 3) Jessica Ralston (from 3) Bill Murry (3) and Rick Dayton (13). As for those "Rick Lord" and "Sandra Cole\Penny Moss" types, I've only heard about talking heads with nothing to back it up.
Well, you obviously don't work with me, or you would know better than to write this nonsense. If you do work with me, you obviously don't pay attention. I beg Matt Snyder daily to let me field report on stories; I love live work in the field. But, I can only do what he allows me to. I help write, produce, and edit shows every night. Since I've been anchor, I've even shot stories. By the way, I too have heard wonderful things about the anchors you mention, and a few others you didn't. First you attack my morality, and now my work ethic? What gives, Mr. Smith?
SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

I think he likes you. Expect a "check yes or no" fax in the next few days or so.

:lol: