Nice Work Debra Linz

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

genlock

Post by genlock »

Speaking of anchors, What happened to that nice Tom McGee fellow?
herdgirl72

Post by herdgirl72 »

He's in friggin LAW school at the 'hole...

There has to be a joke there! I just know it!!!
Bob Campbell

Post by Bob Campbell »

Wow. I agree with Arp twice in one week. For the most part, in all the markets I've worked (and that may be ALL of them, God I'm old), the average level of ability in radio air talent is higher than tv. Most (not you Lord, ya little weasel) on air tv people have such a narrow focus of ability that they can barely function. Though most of the news chicks I've known are way fun to party with.
Did I ever tell you about the time Wendy Griffith (hoooah) wanted to interview me about something with the Governor and I, having lived in West Va. for 90 days, had to explain to her, a native, where Poca was?
TV talent for the most part are prompter readers, slow to react to real time situations. That's why they seem dumb compared to jocks, who have to be much quicker while doing a live show, running the board and trying to get the calls correct ( difficult for some).
But, tv talent do have to look good. They've got us beat at that. Except for Bass, who, while ugly, is the best ad-libber ever in WV Tubedom.
Mark Hallburn

Post by Mark Hallburn »

How's this for picking out the radio guy in a crowd. He's still got the hairstyle that he entered radio, he's wearing a faux satin jacket with call letters emblazend across the back, a concert t-shirt his weasled from a promoter for free mentions on the air, and he just paid for his meal at the local fast food chain with station prize certificates.

His breath smells of coffee, his hair and clothes smell of cigarettes, and his eyes are sunk back in his head with dark bags below after years of sleep depravation from getting to work at 4am and working till 6pm on remotes.

THAT guy--definitely in radio.

Except for the news guys and engineers.... They usually have a whole other look... NERD!!!
News For Putnam County
www.PutnamLIVE.com
drunksailor

Post by drunksailor »

Mr. Smith wrote:The only "anchors" in the local market that I've actually heard that do real work are Tim Irr (from 3) Jessica Ralston (from 3) Bill Murry (3) and Rick Dayton (13). As for those "Rick Lord" and "Sandra Cole\Penny Moss" types, I've only heard about talking heads with nothing to back it up.
What is your basis that the "Sandra Cole\Penny Moss types" are just talking heads? Do you sit in the newsrooms everyday and watch them? Do you go with them on their packages? Do you monitor when they arrive and leave the building? Do you track what they do while they're at work? Please provide me with examples that either of them don't do anything.
joshwv3

Post by joshwv3 »

I've seen Penny Moss do packages for WSAZ. Aren't all the anchors assigned cover stories for the 5:30 Edition? I also hear Penny is very instrumental in writing scripts for the newscasts she anchors.
Ace Purple

Post by Ace Purple »

When I was at WSAZ, Penny did many, many stories from the field. She's a good reporter along with being a good anchor.
On Twitter: @LouPickney
Mark Hallburn

Post by Mark Hallburn »

Most medium-market anchors write stories and do more than just anchor.

The only markets I worked in where anchors didn't do any writing were Los Angeles, D.C., Chicago, and New York. Unfortunately some were too lazy to read their copy before they went on the air-then screwed it up because they'd never seen the story before.
News For Putnam County
www.PutnamLIVE.com
Dr. Whiplash

Post by Dr. Whiplash »

:roll:
Jessica Ralston

Post by Jessica Ralston »

Penny does a story every week and is an outstanding writer. She's also very smart and one of the nicest people I've ever met.
Bob Loblaw
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bob Loblaw »

Mark Hallburn wrote:...markets I worked in...D.C....
Where did you work at in DC, Mayor Hallburn?
Mark Hallburn

Post by Mark Hallburn »

That would be CBS News in D.C., Mr. Moderator.
News For Putnam County
www.PutnamLIVE.com
Bob Loblaw
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bob Loblaw »

Where did you live?

Where was your favorite place to go?

What's the name of the bar ALL the Print and Broadcast reporters hang out at?
Mark Hallburn

Post by Mark Hallburn »

Bob:

See your p.m. box.

Now back to the thread....
News For Putnam County
www.PutnamLIVE.com
fearpeddler

Post by fearpeddler »

I havent experienced "all" of the local anchors personally, but I did watch penny moss throw a fit and stomp out of a store in the mall a couple weeks ago cause they wouldnt open another register just for her....

Rick, its noble and what-not for you to defend your co-anchor like that, but still, for as much money as these people make in this market compared to their co-workers who are actually "making" the product, not just reading a damn prompter, sickens me..
Doesn't MSNBC stand for the Media that Spins the News for Barrack's Cabinet?

Political Correctness is always having to say you're sorry. - Me
SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

Yah, wasn't Tom McGee on something like a quarter of a mil at 13? That was the figure I was quoted...
fearpeddler

Post by fearpeddler »

Tom has quite the pile in the 'ol change purse from what i've heard....
Doesn't MSNBC stand for the Media that Spins the News for Barrack's Cabinet?

Political Correctness is always having to say you're sorry. - Me
genlock

Post by genlock »

The Debra Linz story made the Gazette this sunday.
Look in Phil Kablers column.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

How much of the was because she was Penny Moss and how much of it was just being another pissed off consumer? I had it out and later blasted Verizon on the air a few months ago. That wasn't because I'm the local morning disc jockey who wanted preferred treatment..its because I was a pissed off consumer who didn't have phone service for a week, then they day they said they would come to fix it "sometime between 11am and 6pm, they never showed. I blasted them on the air the next morning and oddly enough my neighbor called and said they were in my driveway within an hour after I got off the air. Bottom line is I would have been just as pissed if worked at Pizza Hut instead of the media. Besides, my wife works hard to pay the phone bill!
Titties and beer...thank God almighty for titties and beer!
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

BTW

Phil Kabler's column in the Gazette this morning talks about the whole Linz/Perdue ordeal.
Titties and beer...thank God almighty for titties and beer!