It's officially news: XM/SSR to merge.

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

The Big Ear wrote:Is there a study anywhere of how many channels of SAT radio a user typically listens to? Or any actual ratings for SAT channels? That would be VERY interesting to read.
Good question... I thought that Arbritron was going to start rating the individual channels for both XM and Sirius.

My guess is that the hit-based channels will always have more listeners than the niche and obscure channels.

On Sirius, the Howard channels probably has the most listenership overall. Hits 1, Big 80's, and The Pulse also has high listenership.
The reason I haven't bought it (other than I'm cheap) is because I know I'd listen to about 3-5 stations with regularity and the other 100 stations would just sit, unused. That's a waste of cash so I don't need it.
I'm the same way, although I'm probably more adventerous than average in checking out various channels, depending on my mood.

Satellite's biggest advantage, though, is for people in rural areas and small markets who like music/talk programming that is simply not offered locally. Where are you going to find Alternative, Hip-Hop, or Smooth Jazz in WV, for example?

As much time as I spend in the car, it's well worth the subscription price to me... When wireless internet becomes prominent, that may change.
I think the market it going to win out here and you'll see a smaller offering in the end from the combined company. They just can't sustain so many kinds of niche channels that nobody is listening to. Just like cable TV. We reached a peak at about 75 channels on the main tier before you pay even more... and most of us watch maybe 6 to 8 with any regularity.
I think the merge will eventually happen, as satellite radio's situation is much different than Dish/Direct TV's a few years ago. It will form a much more formidible company as they will now be able to combine resources in technology and programming.

Not much will change for a few years, except maybe programming being offered on both services (Stern on XM, MLB on Sirius, etc). Eventually though, many redundant channels will be eliminated.

The upside to this is that the freed up bandwidth can be used for more video offerings, such as Disney, Cartoon Network, and FOX News becoming mobile.
SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

This is exactly why I think satellite and local can co-exist quite happily. I listen to the dance and jazz channels on and off when the mood strikes me, but there's no way those formats would survive here in ILR.

Local radio can effectively fight satellite by being a lot more local, a lot more interactive and voicetracking less.
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

SPIKE NESMITH! wrote:Local radio can effectively fight satellite by being a lot more local, a lot more interactive and voicetracking less.
The ongoing refrain on every radio message board I've ever visited ...

8)
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

I know, I know... but it's true!

But to counter my predictability, I'll give you a sentence that I guarantee you've never seen on an internet radio messageboard:

Hold the newsagent's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will counterbalance my trousers.

Good enough? :wink:
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

May I mambo dogface to the banana patch?

Today's Starbucks memo leak.
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

ok, i'm gonna sick dept. of homeland security on ya'll's asses. (hey look i fit 2 apostrophes into 1 word, lay off arp (: )

quti it wiht thees codde terrorits messagse.
I'm not an idiot, but I play one on the radio.
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

Zak Tyler wrote:ok, i'm gonna sick dept. of homeland security on ya'll's asses. (hey look i fit 2 apostrophes into 1 word, lay off arp (: )
Well, yeah, but the first one's in the wrong place!

And I think it should be "sic." :oops:
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"