Clear Channel cleans out again at WWVA

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

contracteng

Post by contracteng »

FM was just coming into its own at the time. The big problem was the fight over which system until it was to late and with the fight over which system, receivers were not being built.
I think HD will suffer the same fate with all the competing things out there with Sat., internet, ipods, etc. Smaller stations in smaller markets can't afford the investment. If it makes it will only be because of the clear channels driving the market but I wouldn't hold my breath.
t
new guy

Post by new guy »

hey Crusader 1980...That would be cool to have bloomie everywhere....BUT...that includes "The Broadcast" and "TOD"....have georgie back would be great......sometimes....I wonder if FOX sports would fill the line-up in midday as they do now......very interesting....thanks for the update...you rock
sayid

Post by sayid »

anyone heard what happened to another Clear Channel blowout, Tammie Beagle? She was fired from WWVA a few years back -- went to WEIR -- and is now fired from there? :?:
MusicAD182

Post by MusicAD182 »

takemetoemstar wrote:you ppl are just stupid-asses..... do some homework here. the chix was fired for shotty work and running things at the wrong times - not b/c they are making personnel moves.

also, ccc intends to sell units off as states and full pacakges. not parcell things off by station - maybe by city not by station.
I would love to know where you are getting all this information sir, as from an insiders stand point, it is ALL WRONG. The girl's dismissal was certainly not because of performance, it was part of clear channel cleaning house. Not only was she let go, others were as well. All of these people were informed of their termination at the end of their shift, with no warning and no opportunity to file for unemployment. Clear Channel contests that. This was not a performance issue, and certainly not one on the part of the news girl. She frequently worked twelve and thirteen hour days to provide local news when they wanted to do national at the top and bottom of the hour.

As for the way the stations will be sold, they're not part of a package deal. Bob Fitzsimmons is in negotitations to buy some of the stations, but John Raese is the favorite with the Clear Channel suits, and it is by station.
Last edited by MusicAD182 on Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sayid

Post by sayid »

No offense -- but if Angela Pryce's dismissal was part of another Clear Channel cutback, why has she been replaced by someone else? Wouldn't they have just eliminated the position? And I do believe unemployment benefits come through the state of West Virginia -- so she could certainly apply for them. Clear Channel cannot stop that. As for Fitzsimmons buying another Wheeling station, wouldn't it be a good idea for him to get the one he has up to a more professional speed? I would hate to have to listen to another Wheeling station airing outdated spots in almost every break, etc. etc. etc.
Dr. Whiplash

Post by Dr. Whiplash »

Is there an echo in here?
MusicAD182

Post by MusicAD182 »

If you work for Clear Channel and are dismissed, you can APPLY for unemployment, but the company contests it, and it does NOT get paid. Also, Price was replaced by someone who is getting paid significantly less and does not get benefits, from what I have been told. She was put in there with little training and had to update carts on five stations continuosly. I know her and I know how hard her job truly was and what they expected from her. I also know that because of I T problems the news room had, she frequently had no AP Wire service and no way to play soundbytes in the news casts. She also tried to make each newscast different for each station, so the same thing would not be running all day.
I'm not saying there weren't mistakes made, because there were; and believe me, SHE would be the first one to admit that. But she was doing everything on her own, the stories, the production, EVERYTHING, and most of the time, it was without the use of necessary resources, which were not available. That girl gave one thousand percent everyday in an attempt to increase the coverage area for the station, and frequently because of that she got behind and she knew that. But she was an entry level person forced to do professional level work on five different stations, and believe me, in the days where she could be focused on just WWVA, she was GOOD.
Last edited by MusicAD182 on Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
genlock

Post by genlock »

Unemployment compensation was established to help people who are out of work through no fault of their own. Therefore, if you are unemployed for a reason other than lack of work, the reason you lost your job will have a bearing on whether you are entitled to benefits.

Each time you become unemployed and apply for benefits, we ask you to furnish your reason for being unemployed. We send a copy of your claim application to your last employer (and sometimes to a previous employer). The employer is asked to verify the information you furnished.

If there is a question as to whether you qualify, we will gather the needed facts. Then we will issue a DEPUTY’S DECISION to you and to your affected employer. The decision will tell you whether you are DISQUALIFIED (denied benefits). See Deputy's Decisions for more information about Deputy’s Decisions.

You will be disqualified if the deputy finds that you:

Quit your most recent work voluntarily (even if it is only a part time or odd job that you have been working while seeking full-time employment) without good cause involving fault on the part of the employer; OR,
Were discharged (fired) from your last job (or sometimes a previous job), for work-related misconduct.
The Deputy’s Decision will list the facts of the case and will explain why you are (or are not) being denied benefits. If you are disqualified, the decision will tell you when the benefit denial period begins and ends. If you disagree with the Deputy’s Decision, you may appeal it. The affected employer also has appeal rights. Please refer to Appeal rights for an explanation of your appeal rights.
Paradigm

Post by Paradigm »

I was glad when I turned on my radio to not hear her in the morning. She is by far the worst new personality I have ever heard not only was her voice not made for radio, she also has no ability to make a news cast flow it seemed choopy and many times she would just stop mid-cast and start over with the story. The two guys doing the news now are 100 times better than she was.
MusicAD182

Post by MusicAD182 »

==========
Last edited by MusicAD182 on Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

Uh oh... I'll bet it gets real quiet in here in a hurry.

Seriously, I hate to hear of anyone loosing their job. It could be me. Tomorrow. Who knows?

Point is: Don't burn bridges. Get an air check together, print off a couple of resumes, and leave it behind you.

Nothing wrong with defending yourself but please realize, 99% of us on this board have never heard you on the air. 90% of us have never heard WKKX or whatever.

In fact, until these Wheeling nut jobs started these threads, I was completely unaware that CC even owned a station in Wheeling.

<edit> Hey... this is post 888 for me. :D
Oldiesdude

Post by Oldiesdude »

Anglea, from your post, you seem like a bright, and interested person in broadcasting. Not working for the borg, I can not say how things are run, but from your comments, I can see your prob. better off not working for CC. I wish you luck if you get on somewhere else. Maybe they will be able to groom you. You might, also get past the need for some to try to tarnish the less polished, in order for them to shine.

Some day, I will think of a clever signature!
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

I'm sorry I missed your last post before it was edited. Although I have never heard you on the air I sense a young person with a passion for this business. That is a commodity that cannot be fabricated. There is much truth in what Oldiesdude says. As one who has been in your position on a few occassions (fortunately only a few) I can assure you that you will survive. Your talents will help you to improve and your career will progress. I have had to part company with a few employees over the years by dismissal (again fortunately only a few). In my mind the failure is often on the part of both the employee as well as the employer. I have always wondered what I might have been able to do to help the individual succeed. As a businessperson I am aware that my future relies, in large part, on the success of those with whom I work. I never win when such a person does not succeed. But as you are the employee in this case, please take away the knowledge that you may need to improve through education, continued hard work and experience. But know, too, that you...the person...did not lose value. Regardless of where you work in the future or for whom you work, your experiences in this last position are just that...experience. Use it wisely!
You gotta be willing to do the time.
weaver

Post by weaver »

Nothing wrong with defending yourself but please realize, 99% of us on this board have never heard you on the air. 90% of us have never heard WKKX or whatever.

In fact, until these Wheeling nut jobs started these threads, I was completely unaware that CC even owned a station in Wheeling.
I agree that posts about Wheeling radio do seem to come down to nutty "Bob Fitzsimmons is saving the world through WKKX" or "Clear Channel is the devil incarnate" comments but this is a site about West Virginia radio, after all, and, irrespective of its relatively remote location in the Northern Panhandle, Wheeling still is part of the state.
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

weaver wrote:...but this is a site about West Virginia radio, after all, and, irrespective of its relatively remote location in the Northern Panhandle, Wheeling still is part of the state.
You are correct about the geography... but it is the behavior of the members from the Wheeling community that are making Wheeling look bad... not the rest of the message board.

All the need to do is participate in a manner other than "LOOKY! LOOKY! LOOKY!" to be part of the solution rather than the problem.
weaver

Post by weaver »

No argument from me, Lester!
Paradigm

Post by Paradigm »

Lester wrote:
weaver wrote:...but this is a site about West Virginia radio, after all, and, irrespective of its relatively remote location in the Northern Panhandle, Wheeling still is part of the state.
You are correct about the geography... but it is the behavior of the members from the Wheeling community that are making Wheeling look bad... not the rest of the message board.

All the need to do is participate in a manner other than "LOOKY! LOOKY! LOOKY!" to be part of the solution rather than the problem.
I think alot of the problem you see with Wheeling users on this board is KKX... And trust me I've listened to them as I said I use to advertise on their station. Ever single talent on the station has a chip on their shoulder against either Clear Channel, WTOV9, WTRF7, or Ogden Newspapers. This comes across very clear in their broadcast they have US vs Them mentality and it rubs off on their listeners.
genlock

Post by genlock »

From Wiki (wkkx):

Frequent caller "Dave from Stubenville" on occasion makes reference to an internet message forum WVRadio.net (now WVBroadcasting.net), which has been highly critical of WKKX on a number of issues, including the ratings that WKKX receives. The forum's administrators have been known to carry a very sharp right-wing point of view on a number of issues, which contrasts WKKX's usual stance on issues, in which most opinions are more skewed towards the left, Democratic viewpoints. Tod Jeffers is the most responsive to these and other criticisms concerning the station.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Right wing? Speaking as a pro choice, Bush-hating liberal I resent that.

Sorry, I know that was political...edit if you must but I needed to get that off my chest.

Now, getting back to more about beer and titties..
Titties and beer...thank God almighty for titties and beer!
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's too good, Genlock. Nice find.