Old Joe Holland Commercial

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

CoolBreeze

Old Joe Holland Commercial

Post by CoolBreeze »

Years ago I approached Joey Holland about continuing a theme for his commercials that featured the "Dancing Outlaw" Jessco White.

Jessco had appeared in a Joe Holland commercial at the "height" of his career. Someone told me that they had filmed the commercial in Fred Haddads (founder of HECKS) Lear Jet. I said "Joey, lets pretend that Jessco jumps from the jet in your next commercial and I'll video real jumpers and we'll edit it all together to make it look real." Well... Joey didn't care for the idea of having to work with Jessco again (or so I heard) but he DID like my idea and asked me to write, direct and video the jumps. I made a banner out of a Hula-Hoop (you see at the end of the commercial) and did all the arial stuff. TV-8 did the ground work after I told them how to set up the shot so that it would look as though we were all landing at the same time.

( I had the salesmen stagger 4 pickup trucks with the tailgates down, then had the salesmen hold on to our parachutes so it would appear as though we had tension on our lines as we landed) Naturally, to a skydiver it looked funny landing that way, but it worked for the commercial. The only problem we ran into was time. The 30 second spot ran way over, so it was speeded up and edited to fit. Again funny. I understand it was the longest running spot Joey did before or since. Take a look:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 0294669653