NAB Crystal Award Finalists

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

Dave Harman wrote:Dude - I still love ya like a brother, and don't regret going to the mat for you a couple of times, but accept reality finally. A memo was in everyone's box, and posted, saying that anyone who wanted to attend the awards banquet was invited to do so, and that Mr Miller was footing the bill. I had to accept your award for you, because you chose not to come. That's the simple facts.
Thanks, Dave. I miss you and don't think for a moment that I don't appreciate what you did or the incredibly kind words that Dale had to say about all of us after it had all blown up. Hell, you and Dale were the only people in the entire company that congratulated us on the win or even acknowledged it.

But please... don't ever call me a liar.

Fact: There was no memo in my box. If there had been, someone removed it. More than likely, there was never one in there. Bear in mind that Paul Wheeler didn't get a memo either and if need be I'll drag him on here to attest to that. I only found out about the awards thing when Sarah Shaver told me it was happening on the Friday before and even she seemed quite surprised that I didn't know. All I knew about them was that I was instructed to construct several of the entries, including one for our own show. It wasn't a choice.

Now, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Maybe there was a memo. If there was a memo, if I had been invited, I probably would not have not gone. Local awards with hardly any competition don't really interest me, and the only reason I still bleat about it is because my non-invite is such a great cap to all the other 'quality treatment' that Wheeler and I got in the last days. And you know perhaps more than anyone else what was going on locally because you had the misfortune to be dragged into it. I've felt bad for you getting pulled down with us since that infamous meeting in the conference room.

You were there, you know how much I was disliked there and how hard a certain someone (who is not there anymore) fought to have me as "just a button-pusher" (his words) and off the air completely. You know, I'm sure, that a certain other someone bragged about how he was going to have us fired and how he was instructed to "make their lives miserable" (his words) so we'd quit (a lie, I've been reliably informed). The worst part about that particular incident was finding that out from someone who worked for the competition and emailed me, unsolicited, to ask what we had done to offend the loose-tongued party in question.

I got an apology (of sorts) about the way we were treated (but not for the awards snub), and the only bad feelings I have are for the people involved, not for the company. I wish the cluster all the luck in the world.

Other than the last year, I thoroughly enjoyed my time there and have all the respect in the world for you and Dale. I've also heard awesome things about Mike Buxser, too. But let's not call a spade a kangaroo: Paul and I were not liked, our show was not liked and the sooner we were out of the picture the better as far as certain parties were concerned.
So sayeth His Royal Highness King Spike; greatest broadcasting talent of his generation.
Chris Lawrence

Post by Chris Lawrence »

Uh, Spike...why don't you just come clean. full disclosure please. HA!!!!!!
"If you're too busy to go fishing....you're too busy, rightO..." Lew Childre
SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

:lol: You know that's not even the half of it...! I'm glad that the most of the troublemakers have moved on from that place, it seems like it's working a lot better for it.

We'll need to reorganise our pilgramage to a place with clean carpets soon. Dave, you in?
So sayeth His Royal Highness King Spike; greatest broadcasting talent of his generation.
Dave Harman

Post by Dave Harman »

[quote="SPIKE NESMITH!"]
But please... don't ever call me a liar.
quote]

The feeling is mutual, and I stand by what I said.

I know it was publicly posted, and it went to everyone else's mailbox. If it wasn't given to you, it was an accident, and I don't think you should carry a grudge over an accident. If someone did do you wrong, forgive them. It frees up alot of room in your life for forward progress.

Getting together in a place with clean carpets? That does mean we can't drink beer there, does it???
soccerguy

Post by soccerguy »

C'mon guys! You're making me tear up.

Ahhhh....the good old disfunctional days of WVRC. Have to admit that I miss the drama.....a little. But then, I get my fill with the "Halburn vs EVERYONE" on this board. :)

Spike.....I miss the vending machine documentary. You should post it on YouTube.
SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

Dave Harman wrote: If it wasn't given to you, it was an accident, and I don't think you should carry a grudge over an accident. If someone did do you wrong, forgive them. It frees up alot of room in your life for forward progress.
My wife says the same thing about me, but some things are far too insulting to forgive. There are some people who have crossed me so badly that, were their face ablaze, I wouldn't spray them with diarrhea to put the fire out. I'm glad to see that others can move on though. Paul is the same, he says rarely gives the place a second thought, unless it makes an appearance in one of his infamous nightmares! But the fact that he didn't get the memo either seems evidence enough, to me at least, that the snub was entirely intentional. Plus, our names aren't on it, just the show name which was retained when the "good lookin' boys" took over, thus creating the impression that we never existed. I should be more grateful about the incident, though. It's a great little detail of the grand story when I talk about the old days, and never fails to get a 8O type reaction.
Dave Harman wrote:Getting together in a place with clean carpets? That does mean we can't drink beer there, does it???
Actually - I think we can. Ask Chris about the clean carpets and all will become clear - but set aside a good hour to hear the story. Half for the details, and half to stop laughing. I'll let you know when the next outing is.
SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

webdesignguy wrote:Spike.....I miss the vending machine documentary. You should post it on YouTube.
OK, you corn-fused me with that one.... I need more details. If it's the PSA about not mistreating the pop machine elves, that wasn't at CHS. =)
soccerguy

Post by soccerguy »

It was the movie you, Paul and Johnny did about the vending machine near engineering.

I thought you guys all worked on it.
John Lee Pettimore

Post by John Lee Pettimore »

dont sweat it spike. this is the same guy that swore up and down that there was a WFBI located in clarksburg
SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

Oh YES! now I remember! No, that was just Paul and Johnny. It was far too good for me to be involved! :lol:
Jay Nunley
Swearmaster General
Swearmaster General

Post by Jay Nunley »

Are you guys still arguing about stuff? I dropped out again and need another recap.
Big Dawg

Post by Big Dawg »

John Lee Pettimore wrote:dont sweat it spike. this is the same guy that swore up and down that there was a WFBI located in clarksburg
Oh Great! You're back!?? If I recall, this WFBI thing is what you posted about 3 or 4 years ago. IS THAT ALL YOU GOT?? I slammed you back to oblivion the last time you were here writing stupid shit. "Is Wayne Brady gonna have to smack a bitch?" Let's fire up this thread again!
"Shut your festering gob"-J. Stallings
John Lee Pettimore

Post by John Lee Pettimore »

just pointing out that daves memory isnt as good as he thinks it is

if your idea of slamming me back down is having your own boss post here telling you wfbi never existed in clarksburg then you got me or your memory isnt doing so hot either
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

It's Saturday Night, so I'll act like I'm Live and say, "Ok, folks...simma down, now...simma down, now....simma down, now."

Keep it at least somewhat cordial, ya know....
Jay Nunley
Swearmaster General
Swearmaster General

Post by Jay Nunley »

Big Dawg wrote: Let's fire up this thread again!
Not until you bitches gimme a recap. I ain't wading thorugh all those posts trying to figure out what is going on.

What bitch is about to be choked?

What movie about a vending machine?

Dammit. This is worse than trying to follow Babylon 5 or Twin Peaks.
soccerguy

Post by soccerguy »

The vending machine video was an incredible piece of work by Paul Wheeler and John DeVincent.

In a nutshell, it was a 5-6 minute video about a guy (John) and his walk to the station vending machine to get a snack. It was shot by Paul and edited by Paul and John. There were a ton on camera angles (including an awesome security camera shot). I think they shot 4 hours of video for 5-6 minutes.

I'm going to have to get a copy and put it up on YouTube.
Dave Harman

Post by Dave Harman »

John Lee Pettimore wrote:dont sweat it spike. this is the same guy that swore up and down that there was a WFBI located in clarksburg
Wow, I was wrong once! It happens, you admit it, and go on. I'm glad I could give you a shallow victory to keep you going.
Last edited by Dave Harman on Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

Jay Nunley wrote: I ain't wading thorugh all those posts trying to figure out what is going on.

Dammit. This is worse than trying to follow Babylon 5 or Twin Peaks.
OK - here's what's been going on:
Dave Harman wrote:invited
daveinthemorning wrote:Erin
spike nesmith! wrote:feelings
Chris Lawrence wrote:HA!!!!!!
spike nesmith! wrote:carpets
Dave Harman wrote:forward
webdesignguy wrote:drama
spike nesmith wrote:outing
webdesignguy wrote:engineering
Jay Nunley wrote:recap
All clear now, right?
Jay Nunley
Swearmaster General
Swearmaster General

Post by Jay Nunley »

Crystal.
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

SPIKE NESMITH! wrote:You were there, you know how much I was disliked there and how hard a certain someone (who is not there anymore) fought to have me as "just a button-pusher" (his words) and off the air completely. You know, I'm sure, that a certain other someone bragged about how he was going to have us fired and how he was instructed to "make their lives miserable" (his words) so we'd quit (a lie, I've been reliably informed).
Possible one of these certain someones removed said memo? I can testify first hand that if either of these someones had contacts "on high" no one would correct the error.