The RIAA pwns internet broadcasters. Surprised?

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

SPIKE NESMITH!

The RIAA pwns internet broadcasters. Surprised?

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

http://www.kurthanson.com/archive/news/ ... ndex.shtml
The Copyright Royalty Board (CRB) has announced its decision on Internet radio royalty rates, rejecting all of the arguments made by Webcasters and instead adopting the "per play" rate proposal put forth by SoundExchange (a digital music fee collection body created by the RIAA).

A "performance" is defined as the streaming of one song to one listener; thus a station that has an average audience of 500 listeners racks up 500 "performances" for each song it plays.

The minimum fee is $500 per channel per year. There is no clear definition of what a 'channel' is for services that make up individualized playlists for listeners.
For noncommercial webcasters, the fee will be $500 per channel, for up to 159,140 ATH (aggregate tuning hours) per month. They would pay the commercial rate for all transmissions above that number.

According to the comScore Arbitron ratings report for November 2006, the AOL Radio Network had a average audience ("AQH") between 6AM and Midnight of 210,694 listeners. Multiplied by about 16 songs per hour, 18 hours per day, and 31 days per month, plus adding an additional 10% to account for overnight (Mid-6AM) listening, suggests that AOL played about 2.1 billion songs that month. At the CRB's royalty rate ($0.0008 per play), I'm guessing that would create a royalty obligation to SoundExchange for the month of November of about $1.65 million. Annualized, that's about $20 million for 2006.
So sayeth His Royal Highness King Spike; greatest broadcasting talent of his generation.
djMatty

Post by djMatty »

Hopefully there can be a solution to this or there will be 'nothing' to listen to online except stuff provided by the 'big 4'

Us Internet broadcasters do not mind paying royalties we just want a fair rate that will allow us internet broadcasters who do not make profit off this to be able to broadcast without having to have won the mega millions.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out as this affects non commercial, commercial, which means from the likes of Clear Channel to NPR to the religious casters, to the indie broadcaster, we are all affected.
Matt
Program Director/Music Director/Owner
X music Online "The X"
Positive Rock Radio
http://www.xmusiconline.com/
fearpeddler

Post by fearpeddler »

there arent enough swear words in existence for me to get a comment in on this that i'd be satisfied with.....
Doesn't MSNBC stand for the Media that Spins the News for Barrack's Cabinet?

Political Correctness is always having to say you're sorry. - Me
Brad Allen

Post by Brad Allen »

Well, what's the worst that could happen?
People would have to go back to listening to music on the...

RADIO?!??!? 8O

Nah.....
In His service,
Brad Allen
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

What happens when all digital forms of delivery (IE: HD radio and Satellite) start getting classified as "streams".

I wonder if that's the end game to all this.
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

Lester wrote:What happens when all digital forms of delivery (IE: HD radio and Satellite) start getting classified as "streams".
That's ... frightening.

:|
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

Holy cow, dude. Dude... I would suggest deleting that post before you give those ding-bats an idea.
fmksey

Post by fmksey »

Let's unload! I have a small FM in Texas and we play lots of western swing - new western swing artist - and local texas artist. All good - but nothing Clear Channel would play --and you wouldn't play either, because it's a regional thing. Just like we don't play bluegrass. But we have a great internet audience because they can't find the music in their market -- and in Europe, where W/S in really hot. Some artist/labels have told me they have sold CDs in Demark, Denver, LA. Stockhohm --and on-and-on because of our stream. And I don't make a cent from the stream -- it's an ego thing, I quess. I've had bad artists offer to buy chunks of time to play their music. From this to ASCAP/BMI/SEASAC - it really pissses me off.
When I was a kid buying Motown and the Stones, I would have never known about them unless radio stations were play it. An old fart band director named Paul Whitman started all this pay-for-what-you-play shit in the 30s. Lets find out where he's buried and all go piss on his grave.
fearpeddler

Post by fearpeddler »

I havent desecrated anything in a while..... time, place and address man, I'll join ya.

Big Media

Post by Big Media »

From Radio Ink

[quote]Windy City’s 9-FM: “We’re Banning CD Giveaways On Our Airâ€
Dave Loudin

Post by Dave Loudin »

I'm glad to see the tag line at the end explaining what "9-FM" meant. Without the Chicago references, I would have NIIIIIINE! bouncing around in my head.
Aircheck? You'd make a great board op.
fearpeddler

Post by fearpeddler »

thats sooooooo metal!!!!! wonder if this trend will start anywhere else....

AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

If every music station in the country joined them, maybe the RIAA would back off a little...

This is a great idea.

It's time to rewrite the DMCA before we will have to pay every single time we hear a copyrighted song.
The People's DJ
Pimp Hand
Pimp Hand

Post by The People's DJ »

New shirt. Got it last night. It says it all.

And with it I order this:

All at this link.