Hit the road, Jack

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

SPIKE NESMITH! wrote:
Zak Tyler wrote: i see it taking on the creme of the crop from Active rock and Rhythmic CHR, and just the best of the best stuff from Alternative and Mainstream rock, with the male leanings from CHR mainstream maybe even a sprinkle of some house or techno to spike it up every other hour or so. the gold category would be awesome!!! maybe it's still too vague and broad right now. but a quality brainstorming session would produce a workable idea. any thoughts?
A few years ago, a format launched in central Scotland that I never in a million years thought would work - Beat 106; it was a mix of dance music and alternative rock. Sounds ridiculous, but it met it's three-year audience projections in the first six months.
You guys may be on to something here...

I've bounced between alternative, active, CHR, and techno for years. This is one of the top reasons I went to satellite radio when it first came out. They have multiple channels featuring these formats. But even so, neither XM or Sirius have a channel that mixes these formats.

CHR/techno would be easy to mix. Alternative/techno would be a little more challenging, but could be done. Active/techno would be a challenge.

As for the techno genre, the U.S. is about the only country in the world where this music has never caught on outside of a niche following, for whatever reason...

When I listen to my mp3 player, it's usually shuffling music from these different formats.
Tom Taggart

Post by Tom Taggart »

I suspect the interest in techno comes from the folks who like the clubs. The club scene seems to be more popular and bigger in Europe than here.

Probably because there are many more twenty-somethings living in small apartments in the city. Having grown up living in a crowded apartment in the city, rather than in suburbia like here. Hence the weekend means hanging out downtown, rather than a movie at the multiplex and cruising the mall.
304live

Post by 304live »

i think techno never caught on because the "club" music was already being held down by hip hop and RnB.... which it wasnt during the creation and explosion of techno in europe....

i think the station that zack is talking about would be a station that young/college aged guys would love..... i think an easy survey to do .. i know it wouldnt be scientific but.... every guy or girls car you get into that fits the demographics he was talking about... just look through their cd book and see whats in there.... i bet its a nice mix of cd's that contain monster songs plus a few things they "discovered"
fearpeddler

Post by fearpeddler »

304live wrote:
i think the station that zack is talking about would be a station that young/college aged guys would love..... i think an easy survey to do .. i know it wouldnt be scientific but.... every guy or girls car you get into that fits the demographics he was talking about... just look through their cd book and see whats in there.... i bet its a nice mix of cd's that contain monster songs plus a few things they "discovered"
I bet it would be minimum 69% of that emo garbage kids are listening to with a sprinkling of hardcore rap...
Doesn't MSNBC stand for the Media that Spins the News for Barrack's Cabinet?

Political Correctness is always having to say you're sorry. - Me
Ace Purple

Post by Ace Purple »

sportsvoice wrote:
Zak Tyler wrote:l put The Beat in a blender with X and see what comes out???
This sounds like Faction 28 on Sirius.
Agreed. It's also similar to KMBY (X 103.9) in Monterey, CA.
On Twitter: @LouPickney
Schaffer

Post by Schaffer »

My mom just called me from Charleston to ask me about the new WKAZ. Mom is 52 and loves the new format, which is not all that strange. What got me was the fact that my 22 year old sister said the same thing. Mom was a P1 Mix 100.9 listener, but that appears to be changing. I would love to hear some audio from KAZ if anyone could post some.

You may begin sister jokes now.
soccerguy

Post by soccerguy »

You can listen to KAZ at www.1073jackfm.com.
CoolBreeze

Post by CoolBreeze »

I too never understood why techno wasn't popular here. I guess you're right: The club scene seems to be much bigger over there than here. I've been to Estonia for instance 5 times, and techno is THE music of that country, and has been for years. More interesting is that you wont hear any slow, cry in your beer broken heart songs. You will hear broken heart songs , but they'll be fast! Those people want nothing to do with sad songs. They've had a hell of a time of it under communism for 50 years and only want to be upbeat and happy now. There ARE stations that play American rock, but it'a all mostly up tempo also. What I found strange, was that with their interest in mostly techno, they still managed to break all previous audience records for METALLICA's June 13, 2006 concert at Tallinn Song Festival Grounds which was attended by around 78,000 people — (the previous record was set by MICHAEL JACKSON in 1997). I was in town that night. Couldn't get a hotel room for 50 miles in all directions, and wound-up sleeping in an old former communists high rise. ( his ex wife made the arrangements for me as he was gone for the weekend).
Dr Fever

Post by Dr Fever »

Schaffer wrote: You may begin sister jokes now.
Paging Jay Nunley. Jay Nunley please pickup the white courtesy phone.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"Children are like TV sets. When they start acting weird, whack them across the head with a big rubber basketball shoe."
-Hunter S. Thompson