Hit the road, Jack

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

sportsvoice

Post by sportsvoice »

Zak Tyler wrote:l put The Beat in a blender with X and see what comes out???
This sounds like Faction 28 on Sirius.
Jay Nunley
Swearmaster General
Swearmaster General

Post by Jay Nunley »

Hoosier Daddy wrote:
Oldies and Top 40 radio ARE about nostalgia -- and so is Adult Standards and Classic Country.
Yes, but after that nostalgia wears thin you have to present it in a contemporary way for the sole purpose of maintaining the nostalgia. Think of that pop up video show on VH1 That was about nostalgia too, but with a contemporary presentation.
Hoosier Daddy wrote: but a powerful, carefully scripted behind the scenes and certainly not dull presentation.
That is the exact purpose of the contemporary presentation. The creatinly not dull part being the first part and powerful part a very close second.
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

Jay Nunley wrote:
Hoosier Daddy wrote: but a powerful, carefully scripted behind the scenes and certainly not dull presentation.
That is the exact purpose of the contemporary presentation. The creatinly not dull part being the first part and powerful part a very close second.
But I don't see it being done right, at least not locally. It seems to be 'Erase the current hard drive, then throw in all the Oldies tunes, load up a few jingles and have our Hot AC imaging guy cut some liners, and let 'er rip.'

Plug and play. Set it and forget it.

I don't see ANY creativity -- retro or contemporary -- in local Oldies/Top 40 radio.

Just my $0.02.

8)
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

Hoosier Daddy wrote:But I don't see it being done right, at least not locally....I don't see ANY creativity -- retro or contemporary -- in local Oldies/Top 40 radio.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the station's only two weeks old!
  • "Yeah, my wife popped out a puppy back at the beginning of March, and I'll be darned if that thing ain't still layin' around in its crib all day!

Dang it, if that kid ain't up and walking and feeding himself in another couple o' weeks, I'm gonna disown the little bastard! Baby...bathwater...'F' it all and all y'all!"
:lol: :P :lol:
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

I'm not just talking about WKAZ, Arp (who, by the way, IS doing a lot of things right ...)

Why are you so over the edge about this?

8)
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

Hoosier Daddy wrote:I'm not just talking about WKAZ, Arp (who, by the way, IS doing a lot of things right ...)
Yyyyes....yes, he is! 8)

By the way, the words "just" and "only" need to go right next to the things that are "just " or "only." As written, you're "just talking," when, in reality, you're typing, thinking, breathing, digesting, growing nose hair...you need to put "just" in front of "about" or "WKAZ" for it to really work. 8) :P

(And, of course, the parenthetical material next to "WKAZ"...and "which" in place of "who"....) 8) :lol:
Why are you so over the edge about this?
What if I were to say that it's my "baby??"

It's not....just thought it would be funny to make some people somewhere have a spasm in a sphincter....

I'm not "over the edge"....I just keep having to point out you're making this about what you want to hear and attaching "radio should" to it. If/when you can start a sentence with "the target audience has said..." rather than an implied "I think" or "I want," then there'll be more to talk about.
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

Arp2 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the station's only two weeks old!
  • "Yeah, my wife popped out a puppy back at the beginning of March, and I'll be darned if that thing ain't still layin' around in its crib all day!

Dang it, if that kid ain't up and walking and feeding himself in another couple o' weeks, I'm gonna disown the little bastard! Baby...bathwater...'F' it all and all y'all!"
:lol: :P :lol:
That's funny rite thare. This yarn keeps getting better and better...
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

Arp2 wrote:I'm not "over the edge"....I just keep having to point out you're making this about what you want to hear and attaching "radio should" to it.
No, not at all. I'm just passionate about the format, and I won't accept your sloppy, half-assed attempts to deliver it.
If/when you can start a sentence with "the target audience has said..." rather than an implied "I think" or "I want," then there'll be more to talk about.
I AM THE TARGET AUDIENCE, FOR CHRIST'S SAKE!

Quit dismissing everything I say because it doesn't fit in your preconceived format template. All I see is radio listeners offering suggestions and constructive criticism (on this message board and others, and by other venues), incumbant radio folks poo-pooing and publicly taunting any listener who dares to mention that The Emperor has no clothes, and total time spent listening to radio continues to go right down the toilet.

Now I await your long-winded circular reasoning about how one issue really has nothing to do with the other, and how one person, or a dozen, or a hundred, or a few thousand, or a quarter of a million people don't really know what they're talking about ...

:roll: :wink: :lol:

You're part of the problem, Arp. A proud purveyor of McRadio.

8)
SHADOW

Post by SHADOW »

AMEN!
Bob Campbell

Post by Bob Campbell »

Now kids, don't make me pull this board over and spank everybody. Both of you guys make good points. But, hey, they are only 2 weeks old, and they're format exclusive. So they have a little time to hone down the rough edges.
When we flipped to Oldies here in G'boro, we had to do it very quickly to beat anybody else to it. We went on withouth jingles, jockless, bare bones imaging. 48 hours after we hit, we had totally re-imaged the station with awesome material from my production guy, who is major market quality. It took us 4 more weeks to get our jingle package done right. Since then we've continued tweaking the music and imaging(which is a never ending job anyway).
We've got tv running and billboards about to hit. Listener response has been astounding.
We have a tendency to want everything perfect from the first minute. We should. We're anal retentive geeks.Listeners have much more patience and are much smarter than we are.
Now, if you start up again, nobody gets ice cream.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Uh, Bob, can we get back to the spanking part again?
Titties and beer...thank God almighty for titties and beer!
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

daveinthemorning wrote:Uh, Bob, can we get back to the spanking part again?
Yes, and can Erin be involved?

:)
bkradio

Post by bkradio »

Now, let me get this straight. This format is a new baby and nobody knows who the daddy is! I guess this makes KAZ a real Son Of A Bitch. Could be those bastards at West Virginia Radio are onto something.
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

Arp2 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the station's only two weeks old!
You never get a second chance to make a first impression. Plus they're burning up valuable "curiosity bubble" time.

I haven't been the slightest bit impressed with what I've heard so far. The occasional good song, trainwrecked into another. It appears that "Jack" is still handling the music scheduling, just with a little more "scope" on music choice.

If this was to block Bristol or LM from doing their own oldies format, I don't think this is going to do it.. (If either group even had that intention.)
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

Jay Nunley wrote:
Zak Tyler wrote: put The Beat in a blender with X and see what comes out???
Isn't that CHR? I keep hearing six month old Rock recurrents as currents on CHR, but it's always crossover shit from Nickelback or Hinder. Is this idea a male oriented CHR like Alternative originally was with rhythmic added? Can it work? Would you present it in a gay CHR way trying to grab some females too or would you present it with a boobs, beer, farts, football, Active Rock way?
the first thing "one" would need to do to to successfully pull off this format. you'd need to "invade" the local powersports scene... and i'm not talking about the local racetrack. i'm talkin, on the streets. from cars to bikes to trucks. get in with the "tuners"... those little rice burnin glow in the dark bitches. definitely get in with the new sport bike explosion. and the ever popular "that's a big f*@kin' truck" crowd. the only bitches allowed on this station should be able to stand a wheelie for at least a quarter mile, or get outta the soup when she up to her door handles, or drift circles around your ass.... without breakin' a sweat :)

the presentation would be somewhat "futuristic" but with a definite uptown/downtown feel. not urban, but more like "city". haven't really thought about it much past that point. i'm sure if i put more time and thought into it, or got into a brainstorming situation with a few people, something could come out of it that could sell some time.

UPDATE: musically, masculine. there is definitely a solid musical crossroads if you take the social scenes i mentioned above. and also it would definitely be regionally influenced and tweaked. in Charleston for instance it would probably lean differently than it would here in Virginia Beach or even San Francisco... similar to the way rock and rhythmic stations do in different areas.
I'm not an idiot, but I play one on the radio.
Jay Nunley
Swearmaster General
Swearmaster General

Post by Jay Nunley »

Zak Tyler wrote: the first thing "one" would need to do to to successfully pull off this format. you'd need to "invade" the local powersports scene... and i'm not talking about the local racetrack. i'm talkin, on the streets. from cars to bikes to trucks. get in with the "tuners"... those little rice burnin glow in the dark bitches. definitely get in with the new sport bike explosion. and the ever popular "that's a big f*@kin' truck" crowd. the only bitches allowed on this station should be able to stand a wheelie for at least a quarter mile, or get outta the soup when she up to her door handles, or drift circles around your ass.... without breakin' a sweat :)
Are there enough of these people to aim a format at them or are they where music trends for the target audience are generated?
the presentation would be somewhat "futuristic" but with a definite uptown/downtown feel. not urban, but more like "city".
I'm too old and lame to "hear" it in my head. Can you describe it or gimme an example?
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

Jay Nunley wrote: Are there enough of these people to aim a format at them or are they where music trends for the target audience are generated?
this, imho, is the early stages of another ripple in the music pond. we're coming to a point where a generation was heavily exposed to, and thus embraced multiple formats that were never all categorized together (alternative, mainstream and active rock. along with both chr's, hip-hop, urban, and dance). ad agencies are starting to realize just how much money flows from the pockets of the 18-28 (we'll call it 18-34 for the blessed arbitron slaves) year old male. 65% college educated/or currently enrolled

the presentation would be somewhat "futuristic" but with a definite uptown/downtown feel. not urban, but more like "city".
I'm too old and lame to "hear" it in my head. Can you describe it or gimme an example?[/quote]as far as voice, talent and imaging/attitude, it's where Spike TV (i'm getting hooked on "Bullrun" ) meets MTV and the speed channel. (using the movie reference where "F n' F: Tokyo Drift, meets Biker Boys, meets the first XXX movie) musically, that would have to be ultimately decided by a music test and a few good sessions with a couple different focus groups (lots of money i know, i'm just sayin') but i see it taking on the creme of the crop from Active rock and Rhythmic CHR, and just the best of the best stuff from Alternative and Mainstream rock, with the male leanings from CHR mainstream maybe even a sprinkle of some house or techno to spike it up every other hour or so. the gold category would be awesome!!! maybe it's still too vague and broad right now. but a quality brainstorming session would produce a workable idea. any thoughts?
I'm not an idiot, but I play one on the radio.
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

Hoosier Daddy wrote:No, not at all. I'm just passionate about the format, and I won't accept your sloppy, half-assed attempts to deliver it.
Oh, you will accept it, and you'll like it! You'll lllllllove it! And you'll thank and praise me for it!

I don't even know what we're talking about. Well, mainly what you're talking about. What are we talking about?
If/when you can start a sentence with "the target audience has said..." rather than an implied "I think" or "I want," then there'll be more to talk about.
I AM THE TARGET AUDIENCE, FOR CHRIST'S SAKE!
You have the characteristics of a member of the target audience, but you're not the target audience. You, alone, are not particularly relevant. Plus, you're not "normal" -- you're a former radio person and an uber-aficionado of radio. (Heh...mixing foreign words and parts...) Being so out of the norm actually makes us less interested in you rather than more.
Quit dismissing everything I say because it doesn't fit in your preconceived format template.

Remember the Arp's Laws that distilled the truths that people of your worldview always project and always reveal what they really think and do by accusing others of what never even occurs to them? Because of your paradigm, you're doing that again. Once again, you're "projecting" "top-down" control and management of the masses, and nothing could be further from the truth.

I have no preconceived format template, at all. For me and others like me, these things are always "bottom-up." First, we must find an audience of sufficient size and availability to do something with. Then, we find out what those folks want in general and how they want it to be provided to them. Then, we ask them what the more specific pieces of this thing should be. Then, we provide it for them as best we can until we have some "scores" (Arbitron books, probably) to use to see how we're doing. Once we have Arbs and can see how we're actually being used, then we fine-tune the clocks and "templates," if you will, to better match that. Most of that sequence happens over and over and over, all of it coming "bottom-up" right from the audience.

By the way, if you were closer to being "normal," I'd "listen" to you more. 8)
All I see is radio listeners offering suggestions and constructive criticism (on this message board and others, and by other venues),...
Message board people are really abnormal. What...are you one of those Radio-Info freaks, too? That place is a complete waste....50% outcast kids that need to be slapped or spanked or told to "get off that dang computer," 40% adult wannabes and whiners, and 10% actual radio folks who are wondering why they're squandering their time.

When real (normal) radio listeners offer suggestions, I thank them profusely, listen very carefully, probe for even more, ask for clarifications, and really think about what has been said. When I read Radio-Info-like stuff on the internet, my gaze goes to the ceiling and then drifts out the window, causing me to wonder if it's good bicycling weather outside.
Now I await...how one person, or a dozen, or a hundred, or a few thousand, or a quarter of a million people don't really know what they're talking about ...
It depends. A hundred, a few thousand, and so on....I care immensely what they think -- as long as they're normal people who live normal lives.
You're part of the problem, Arp. A proud purveyor of McRadio.

8)
Nah....my goal in radio is always to create stations that make David Hasselhoff cry.... 8)

(Gonna miss ya, Chris.... :cry: )
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

Arp2 wrote:uber-aficionado
Good name for a rock band. :lol:
SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

Zak Tyler wrote: i see it taking on the creme of the crop from Active rock and Rhythmic CHR, and just the best of the best stuff from Alternative and Mainstream rock, with the male leanings from CHR mainstream maybe even a sprinkle of some house or techno to spike it up every other hour or so. the gold category would be awesome!!! maybe it's still too vague and broad right now. but a quality brainstorming session would produce a workable idea. any thoughts?
A few years ago, a format launched in central Scotland that I never in a million years thought would work - Beat 106; it was a mix of dance music and alternative rock. Sounds ridiculous, but it met it's three-year audience projections in the first six months.
So sayeth His Royal Highness King Spike; greatest broadcasting talent of his generation.