fire at WANO

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

contracteng

fire at WANO

Post by contracteng »

Does any one have details on transmitter building fire at WANO Pineville?
t
Dr. Whiplash

Post by Dr. Whiplash »

From WATE-TV Knoxville...

Police say arsonists are behind a fire Sunday night that destroyed the transmitter of Pineville's WANO Radio. Damage is estimated at $150,000. Owner Josh Wilkey says the station will probably be off the air for three months. He says kerosene was apparently used to start the fire.

The WANO studios are in Middlesboro, but the transmitter was housed in a large building at Pineville, ten miles north of Middlesboro. There were no injuries to emergency responders who put out the flames.
genlock

Post by genlock »

So this is not anywhere near Buddy's Discount in Pineville and Welch?
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

That is WWYO I think, Gen..and Buddy's hasn't been in business for years.
Titties and beer...thank God almighty for titties and beer!
amayo

Post by amayo »

WANO is an affiliate of ours. We spoke with Josh Wilkey this morning. He says the Tranmitter escaped the initial fire, but the flames rekindeled and destroyed the rest of the building after firefighters left.
He told us someone poured Kerosene around and inside the building. Looks like the latest in a series of fires around that area recently.
Sad part is Josh had no insurance on the building since they had a rash of problems like this with previous owners.
He's looking at being off air for a while, but I know of at least one offer of a free backup transmitter being made already.
If you folks have any equipment to spare, and you're looking to do a good deed, let me know, and I'll pass on the information to Josh.
GlenBrannon1

Post by GlenBrannon1 »

He also said in a post that he did not have insurance, but WILL rebuild.