Clear Channel/Huntington attacked!

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

genlock

Clear Channel/Huntington attacked!

Post by genlock »

Some idiot managed to turn his car over after he impacted the Clear Channel cluster building in Huntington. About 4pm. 13 news has video. None of the personality computers were injured.
Oldiesdude

Post by Oldiesdude »

None of the personality computers were injured.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Great!
I'm just happy to know the Dougger!
David Paleg

Post by David Paleg »

My operating system crashes when you look at it directly and theirs survives the impact?
"Every day I get up and look through the Forbes list of the richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work."
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

David Paleg wrote:My operating system crashes when you look at it directly and theirs survives the impact?
Prophet - being aptly named - warned them early.

UPDATE- A little recon got me this:

Two teens decided to drag race up 4th avenue...a car pulled out in front of one of them around 2nd street...so he decided to keep racing up the sidewalk. At that point, he hit the side of the CC building (a.k.a. The Cookie Monster), spun into the air past the lobby window, knocked over a tree, and nearly collided with a WAMX salesperson who was getting into her car. No one was hurt.

(Although someone may have seen Elliott "helping" the kid to his feet with the assistance of some rubber-hose).
------------------------
Cameron Smith - CSRE®
Senior Member - SBE 68 Birmingham
Senior Digital Product Manager - Hibbett Sports|City Gear
Twizard

Post by Twizard »

Cameron wrote: (Although someone may have seen Elliott "helping" the kid to his feet with the assistance of some rubber-hose).
or some black electrical tape............
Harry Doyle: One hit. That's all we got, one Goddamn hit?!
Monte: You can't say "Goddamn" on the air.
Harry Doyle: Don't worry. Nobody's listening anyway.
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

Cameron wrote:Although someone may have seen Elliott "helping" the kid to his feet with the assistance of some rubber-hose.
Elliott Rules!

I could tell you some stories ...

:D
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

DITTO!

(To both. :-) )
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

New Thread: Things I heard Elliott say!

1. Well.... what we need is a new switcher. Call Bill Guyer over at Ironton and tell him we need a new switcher.

2. I'll be damned, they raised the price AGAIN! Ya know, it used to cost a quarter for freakin' beverage in this place. Now, they want 35 cents!

Elliott Rules! I'm on board!
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

Elliott with the hose...

"...I see (whack, whack, thump) your problem (whack, thump, thump) you missed (thump, thump, thud) fourth avenue. (thump, thump)"
------------------------
Cameron Smith - CSRE®
Senior Member - SBE 68 Birmingham
Senior Digital Product Manager - Hibbett Sports|City Gear
Waveguide

Post by Waveguide »

OH .... MY .... GOD!!!!!
The world famous Elliot G..., ( or G. Elliot, take your pick )
Still their, ah??

Like "Hoosier Daddy" said:
'The stories that could be told...... '

The world's still small ( enough )

ELLIOT RULES!!!!!
"..... If you are not part of the solution,
then you are part of the problem........
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

When I saw this t-shirt, I immediately thought of Elliott ...

Memories of the winos that slept in the parking garage at the old WGNT (824 5th Avenue) studios ...

:wink:
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

What ever happened to Jr? AKA Greg Evans? Last I heard, he was in Phoenix with Danno & Lisa.
Bar Rat

Post by Bar Rat »

fanofbigmedia wrote:What ever happened to Jr? AKA Greg Evans? Last I heard, he was in Phoenix with Danno & Lisa.
I think he left CC and went to Tucson... I think he's still in AZ
MarkPatrick

Post by MarkPatrick »

G. Elliott as in Gregg Elliot? 4PM - the same time Gary Music Miller's on the air? They work together?

I remember hearing them on WCMI in the mid-70s. Do Charlie Dunlap, John Burnley and Jive Talkin' JJ work there, too?

Nothing ever changes, does it? Is Gregg on the air?
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

MarkPatrick wrote:Do Charlie Dunlap, John Burnley and Jive Talkin' JJ work there, too?
Jive Talkin' JJ (Joel Jackson) used to contribute quite a bit to this board, but I haven't heard from him in a couple of years. The last I knew, JJ was selling insurance in Kenova, West Virginia at The Thompson Agency.

Dunlap used to work for WCMI/WAMX when Dick Martin ran it on Morningside Drive in Ashland. Seems like I remember him at Clear Channel in Huntington a few years later, but I'm not totally sure on that.

Can't help you with the other name ...
Nothing ever changes, does it? Is Gregg on the air?
It's Huntington, dude! No, nothing ever changes. Ever. :wink:

I haven't heard Elliott on the air in probably ten years. I believe he's still one of the Engineering gurus at the aforementioned Clear Channel Huntington (WKEE, WTCR, WVHU, Kiss 107, et. al.) cluster.

8)
GlenBrannon1

Post by GlenBrannon1 »

Hoosier Daddy wrote:
MarkPatrick wrote:Do Charlie Dunlap, John Burnley and Jive Talkin' JJ work there, too?
Charlie is a great air talent. I heard (and watched) him do some airshifts, and the man is GREAT! At one time, he was offered a job at WLW, but stayed in Ashland.

Rock on, Charlie
The Interpreter

Post by The Interpreter »

Indeed, I have fond memories of Charlie and of TRK and of Ellery Queen at WCMI...I also went to school with both John Burnley (which was his REAL name) and his brother Mike. I believe Mike is a social worker with the Commonwealth, but I have no idea where John ended up.
MarkPatrick

Post by MarkPatrick »

I see mentions of WWHY and WCMI, but little mention of Gary. If I'm correct, he worked at both stations in the 70s. I don't know when he started, but I saw a thread about Hustead that didn't mention him, but I'm sure he told me he began there sometime in the early 70s. Wasn't poster on this board Gary Rae on tthat staff and work with Gary Miller? Does anyone else find it amazing that these guys are still around and in radio 35 years or so later?

Things not only don't change in Huntington. I recently heard Dick Biondi and John Landecker on the air at WZZN in Chicago. Those guys are both in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Considering his length of time in the market, I'd think Gary'd be in a local hall of fame somewhere. Has anyone else been on the air in Huntington that long? Steve Hayes? Gary Rae? Just wondering. I think J.B. started a little later; Bob was still on the air when Gary first came on.
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

Steve Hayes still on the air in Portsmouth, Ohio at WNXT.

Bob Miller still on the air in Portland, Oregon, but not at KEX any more.

J.B. Miller started in the mid 70s and is AM Drive/PD at Huntington's new Magic 97.9.

Ernie G. ("Anderson"), longtime host of WGNT's overnight show "Trivia" that aired in the late 70s and early 80s is alive and well at Kindred Communications. You hear him on a lot of Kindred production material, but I don't think he has an air shift.

Jack O' Shea, longtime WKEE mid-day announcer, was also working at Kindred doing production, but I haven't heard his voice in recent months. Not sure if he's still in the biz or not ...

It is amazing that Gary "Music" Miller is still on the air at WKEE. The man has certainly earned hall of fame status. I think he still sounds great.

8)
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

MarkPatrick wrote:I see mentions of WWHY and WCMI, but little mention of Gary. If I'm correct, he worked at both stations in the 70s.
I would guess that Gary is most associated with WKEE, and, to a lesser extent, with WAMX (the real one, at 93.7 in Ashland) back in the day. I believe Gary started at WWHY under Dick Hustead's tutelage and "passed through" WCMI before landing at WAMX. Most people probably don't remember him at WCMI or WWHY.

I remember listening to Gary Music Miller and Bob Lee (Bobby Leach, now at CC Cincinnati) on 94X in junior high school. Both of them worked at night -- 6p to 10p and 10p to 2a, or something like that -- and I alternated between WAMX and WKEE every night until falling asleep. KEE also had some heavy hitters back then, with Steve Hayes, Scott Paulsen ("Clyde"), Paul Michaels (The Z Man), Greg Smith, and a few other names that escape me now. A few years later, WAMX had Mark Damon (Mark Justice, now at WLGC in Greenup), Papa Scott Hamilton, Bobby Rich, and an infamous overnight guy known only as "The Mole".

The only WCMI names I can remember from that time period are Keith Martin (Shemfissel), who went on to become a Youth Minister. I think he's in North Carolina now. Charlie Dunlap was there, along with an overnight guy named Joe Purvis. And, of course, Joel Jackson. I don't remember anyone else. Irene Preston was the PD, but I don't think she was on the air. Irene gave me a job interview when WCMI was at the old Greenup Avenue studios almost under the Ashland-Coal Grove bridge. The station's office and studios were dark and kind of dirty, but in a cool "WKRP in Cincinnati" way. I remember really wanting to work there.

I'm starting to sound like my grandfather talking about The Great Depression.

8)