92.1 FM frequency

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Ace Purple

92.1 FM frequency

Post by Ace Purple »

Something I've noticed during my travels is how there are very few high powered signals on the 92.1 FM frequency. Does anyone know why this is the case?

A search of 100000watts.com reveals that there are *very* few stations beyond Class A or C3 strength in the continental United States. There are a few C1s out west, and WMYB/Myrtle Beach is a C1 on 92.1, but for some reason that signal location seems to be land of short sticks.

Is there any reason for this, or is it just one of those broadcasting anomalies that just worked out that way by chance?
On Twitter: @LouPickney
Tom Taggart

Post by Tom Taggart »

The reason is undoubtedly 91.9.
As well as 91.7 and sometimes 91.5.

Educationals don't use distance and allocated channels as is used in the commercial band. Instead, it is all be contours, just like AM. Since 92.1 was originally reserved for Class A stations, in many areas there are non-commercial stations that have squeezed in close to get on the air or to increase power.

Example: 6,000 watt equivalent 91.9 Belpre, which is close to 92.1 Middleport, Ohio, and uses a directional antenna. this was originally a low-power station on 91.7.
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

Tom Taggart wrote:92.1 Middleport
W-M-P-O ... There, Buddy!!!

Sorry. :oops: It slipped out.

8)
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
Ace Purple

Post by Ace Purple »

Tom Taggart wrote:Since 92.1 was originally reserved for Class A stations
I figured it had to be something like that; why was 92.1 reserved for Class A?
On Twitter: @LouPickney
Uncle Shishkabob

Post by Uncle Shishkabob »

Hoosier;

It's allowed to slip out, heck I was one of the visionaries involved in this production ,low those many years ago.

:D "I love listening to WMPO while sloppin the hogs...there beddy!" :roll:
...and in Washington 2 peopls and in Newark a windmill and an armadillo!
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

I wonder if it has anything to do with 97.9....as you work back the .8's, you wind up at 92.3.

I'm not sure why I'm asking that, but something in my brain is telling me to.....

If I was to climb Pikes Peak and reach it's summit in the middle of the night and call Coast To Coast AM should my cell phone dial the "east of the rockies" or "west of the rockies" number?
Your cell tower and system would surely be Colorado-Springs-based, of you'd like to factor that into the question.... :)
Tom Taggart

Post by Tom Taggart »

There are 100 FM channels, 20 reserved for non-commercial.
Originally, the remaining 80 were divided into 20 Class A channels, and 60 Class B (or C, depending on where you were) channels.

Also, the FCC originally created smaller markets that only had Class A channels. This changed in the '70's when 95.1 was assigned to Parkersburg as a Class B channel, and another C was assigned to Hattiesburg, Mississippi.

The 80-90 proceeding broke down the Class B/C channels allowing Class A stations on those channels, as well as creating the intermediate B-1, and C-1,C-2, and C-3 channels. This change also permitted Class A stations to increase power by changing to a higher class if spacings allowed.
Dave Loudin

Post by Dave Loudin »

Hoosier Daddy wrote:
Tom Taggart wrote:92.1 Middleport
W-M-P-O ... There, Buddy!!!

Sorry. :oops: It slipped out.

8)
WMPO 1390 just filed a coordinates-correction change application with the FCC. I guess they had to say the tower was over, um, ...
Aircheck? You'd make a great board op.