WV Radio Corp Pulls Offensive Music

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Bob Loblaw
Administrator
Administrator

WV Radio Corp Pulls Offensive Music

Post by Bob Loblaw »

All Access wrote:THE CHARLESTON DAILY MAILreports a review of the content of all 24 of WEST VIRGINIA RADIO CORP.'s radio stations has resulted in 5 or 6% of the music being pulled from play lists because of inappropriate content, President DALE MILLER said. A review of the stations' content was ordered by MILLER last month in the wake of national outrage over DON IMUS' racist and sexist comment about the RUTGERS UNIVERSITY women's basketball team.

WV RADIO announced only that it was reviewing the content of its hip-hop station, WRVZ (98.7 THE BEAT)/CHARLESTON, but MILLER said the content of all of the company's radio stations was reviewed.

"Every title we play on each one of our radio stations got looked at," he said. "We asked, 'Is this piece of music something we want to broadcast on our radio stations?' The vast majority of stuff we felt was OK. For a long time we had thought that music has reached a pretty unsustainable period of time in the way lyrics were going -- not just vulgarity and violence but disrespect for women, even if beeped or redacted or whatever. I wouldn't say there was one genre of music" that was most problematic. Let's face it, indecency fines have increased tenfold. What used to be a $27,000 window of exposure is $270,000. If that doesn't get your attention I don't know what will."
A quote from the DM story:
"Look at Avril Lavigne," Miller noted, referring to the pop singer. "In the middle of that song ("Girlfriend"), she has a burst of profanity that's been blanked out. But it's obvious what was said."

Miller said the corporation has taken some songs off the air, but he would not provide a list.
Discuss.

[/sidebar: It make$ me $eriou$ly wonder if the $uit$ at 1111 took a look at $ome of tho$e $ong$ that were $pinning in overnight$ while they were $canning the Beat'$ playli$t...Ju$t $ayin']
fearpeddler

Post by fearpeddler »

what does this mean for the beat? that must knock their song library down to what... 4 songs???
Doesn't MSNBC stand for the Media that Spins the News for Barrack's Cabinet?

Political Correctness is always having to say you're sorry. - Me
SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

Are V100 still playing Benny Mardones' "Into the Night"; a song about banging a 16 year old girl...?
So sayeth His Royal Highness King Spike; greatest broadcasting talent of his generation.
AARON SCOTT

Post by AARON SCOTT »

Rap without profanity??? Thats like church without an offering
kriss kross will make ya jump, jump
Greg Goodfellow

WV Radio pulls offensive music

Post by Greg Goodfellow »

Tom's gonna read this, but...

On my Saturday show on 93R I did play "Into The Night." I also played "You're Beautiful," which caused one person to quickly phone me and inform me about offensive language. Trusting his judgment, I potted it down, fumbled out an excuse, then went to the remote that our OM was doing. He just laughed. BTW, if James Blunt does let something fly in that song, please let me know...I've been too busy to check! :oops:
"Television is a medium because anything well done is rare."
~ Fred Allen ~

“Radio is the theater of the mind; television is the theater of the mindless”-Steve Allen
Clay JD Walker

Post by Clay JD Walker »

I'm thinking The Beat is going to be like this
soccerguy

Post by soccerguy »

Something in that article got me thinking.....

"Miller was asked if it is true that West Virginia Radio Corp.'s on-air personalities were asked several months ago to sign a document that says they are personally liable for anything that is broadcast while they are on the air.

"There's obviously a number of different documents between West Virginia Radio Corp. employees and the company," Miller said. "We understand it is our responsibility as the licensee to be responsible for the content of our programs. We won't shirk from that. We accept that responsibility."

Do you think jocks had to sign some sort of agreement making them personally liable. Is this common nowadays for jocks?
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

AARON SCOTT wrote:Rap without profanity??? Thats like church without an offering
There are many, many, many churches that don't do offerings.

So, sure...rap without profanity is absolutely possible.

It used to be that way, you know.....
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

and then there were the beautiful harmonies of "F**K the Police" that's on my mp3 player i use when i work out.... :)
I'm not an idiot, but I play one on the radio.
Lee

Post by Lee »

I really don't see the point in censoring songs on the radio anyway. Of course, Martha Soccermom and Joe Lunchbox might get offended..but it seems someone gets a hair up their ass about something they see or hear anyway. I could raise a stink at Stewarts and say that their hot dogs look too much like penises, and that offends me because I don't want to be eating something that looks like a penis. I demand square hot dogs...not something that looks like something my wife would insert into herself in a Biblical way.

Any kid can go to a record store and buy the CD that has a song with a "dirty" word(s) in it, so why bother?

One hilarious example of censoring is in the Kid Rock song, "Cowboy" where the lyric goes something like:

"I'm gonna paint the town red
and paint his wife white..."

The word "white" gets censored.

:lol:
twitter.com/CrypticBullshit
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

Lee wrote: "I'm gonna paint the town red
and paint his wife white..."

The word "white" gets censored.

:lol:
i've always thought that was ridiculous!
I'm not an idiot, but I play one on the radio.
lastone

Post by lastone »

Any kid can go to a record store and buy the CD that has a song with a "dirty" word(s) in it, so why bother
Thus the state of our nation. Filth abounds, not just in private but on the public airwaves too. The problem isn't that the kid CAN go buy such junk, the problem is the kid WANTS to buy such junk and the parents (if any) don't care!

A nations shame.
http://www.thenewoldiesshow.com
WRSG Knights 91.5 Middlebourne-Sistersville, WV 5 PM Eastern Wednesdays (Repeats 7 AM Thursdays).
106.3 The Double Q, Farmington, Iowa, 10-11 AM Central time, Wednesdays.
Buckeye Broadcasting, Cambridge, Ohio, 10 AM Eastern time Friday and other days on Live 365.com
WBPS 101.9, Cambridge, Ohio
KZBZ 92.1, Williams, Arizona,
Sundays.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Times change though, Last One. Not to sound 87 yeard old but these kids today use a completely different language than what you did and what I did in the 70's and 80's. A person I work with has twin nieces, 17 years old. Since they were kids they have routinely referred to each other lovingly as "bitches" and hos". Its just the way people talk today and its going to reflect in the music.
Titties and beer...thank God almighty for titties and beer!
Lee

Post by Lee »

Well put Dave.

I lovingly refer to my wife as "bitch" and she lovingly refers to me as "asshole" or "prick."

Of course, the Cleavers did not use such words, and neither did the Brady's.

Times change indeed.

Now, I gotta get that bitch to fix me a sammich!
herdgirl72

Post by herdgirl72 »

I remember being in high school when George Michael's "I want your sex" song was out and KEE would play the censored version that was "I want your love" at least I think it was love...or you...or something....it used to piss us off so much!!
That and they would never play the "Nasty Girl" song...I don't remember who sang it but it was sooo taboo!(I have it on a mix tape somewhere at the 'rents house) But it was a great song!
Lee

Post by Lee »

I remember that!

And that song was actually about masturbating safely while practicing safe sex in a public men's restroom with a safety hat on!

THOSE WERE THE DAYS!!

Offensive music to me is like...anything by Hanson.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Is it just me or is that creepy as naked guy getting bigger?
Titties and beer...thank God almighty for titties and beer!
Lee

Post by Lee »

Oh, he's wanting his back pussy fondled.

He told me has it bad for Herdgirl72....
herdgirl72

Post by herdgirl72 »

Yeah, seriously, he's creepin' me out....
blech...
lastone

Post by lastone »

Times change though, Last One. Not to sound 87 yeard old but these kids today use a completely different language than what you did and what I did in the 70's and 80's. A person I work with has twin nieces, 17 years old. Since they were kids they have routinely referred to each other lovingly as "bitches" and hos". Its just the way people talk today and its going to reflect in the music
It's not so much the words Dave, it's the complete disrespect for anything and anyone by youth today that is disturbing. Even "Thomas the Tank Engine"........ is a useful engine. What happens when he's not usefull? Is "Logan's Run" our real future? When the youth care nothing about themselves or eachother, how can there be a future?

I'm only 57 and may not make it to 87. The way things are going in this country, I'm more likely to be euthanatized by some law than drop dead on my own. I see the future more "Soylent Green" than "1984".

Or may be I'm just horney. :wink:
http://www.thenewoldiesshow.com
WRSG Knights 91.5 Middlebourne-Sistersville, WV 5 PM Eastern Wednesdays (Repeats 7 AM Thursdays).
106.3 The Double Q, Farmington, Iowa, 10-11 AM Central time, Wednesdays.
Buckeye Broadcasting, Cambridge, Ohio, 10 AM Eastern time Friday and other days on Live 365.com
WBPS 101.9, Cambridge, Ohio
KZBZ 92.1, Williams, Arizona,
Sundays.