Clear Channel sells WV stations

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

Cameron wrote:Yeah...get your resumes in quickly, guys. I'm sure that Chillicothe, Parkersburg, and Wheeling will go on a full-time air talent hiring frenzy.
I'm seeing 40-50 full time on air and programming positions becoming available almost immediately so these stations can hyper serve their local listeners.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Bob Campbell wrote: Zak, you don't really want to leave Va Beach do you?
not if i don't have to, but if an outstanding opportunity presents itself i'd be a fool not to look into it.
I'm not an idiot, but I play one on the radio.
Bob Loblaw
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bob Loblaw »

Mr. Jones wrote:
daveinthemorning wrote:Sure he does. There's a whole lot of boobies in this big world of ours.
Just because there are a lot of boobies doesn't mean they're good boobies.

Just saying.
They all feel nice in the dark.
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

Bob Loblaw wrote: They all feel nice in the dark.
ummm, not ALL of them do.

i'll leave it at that.
Bob Campbell

Post by Bob Campbell »

Wrong, very wrong.

Yo Zak, market 40 versus market 156. Think about it. Several good things about Huntington but none of them involve beaches and broads in bikinis.
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

Bob Campbell wrote:Wrong, very wrong.

Yo Zak, market 40 versus market 156. Think about it. Several good things about Huntington but none of them involve beaches and broads in bikinis.
oh come on... i've partied in Huntington. Marshall is putting out some hotties... (sorry for the pun)

they may not be in bikini's but hotties nonetheless
Bob Campbell

Post by Bob Campbell »

Ah, but are the hotties Puttin' OUT?!?!
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

Bob Campbell wrote:Ah, but are the hotties Puttin' OUT?!?!
if so i hope they hit the hole so they can keep their stroke count down...

[/lame golf joke]
OldSkool

Post by OldSkool »

You guys are a bunch of boobs. 8)
"When a dog runs at you, whistle for him." ~Henry David Thoreau
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Come back to Logan, ZaK, where the women now sport the hottest fashion accessory for Summer 2007..the home confinement bracelet, or as we call it, a Southern West Virginia ankle bracelet.
Titties and beer...thank God almighty for titties and beer!
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

lol... that is SO 1998.....
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

daveinthemorning wrote:Come back to Logan, ZaK, where the women now sport the hottest fashion accessory for Summer 2007..the home confinement bracelet, or as we call it, a Southern West Virginia ankle bracelet.
They were having problems with the ladies taking them off until they started telling them the braclet was also birth-control.

...and their TV wouldn't get Dr. Phil.
------------------------
Cameron Smith - CSRE®
Senior Member - SBE 68 Birmingham
Senior Digital Product Manager - Hibbett Sports|City Gear
Adam X

Post by Adam X »

OK I apologise for the bump and the novice approach but the guy who now owns radio in Wheeling posts here?

I have but one request kind sir.

Please make Eagle 107.5 as great as it once was. It's coming back into form after CC defiled it but it needs that final boost.

Also Kiss FM could use some sprucing up too. Not sure you have any power of KKX or Jack FM which makes you even more popular with me.
Coming soon.
Tom Taggart

Post by Tom Taggart »

No, the guy who will own Wheeling radio doesn't post here. and probably regards WV as "flyover" territory--see the Fisch post for who really owns what in this buyout.

Getting back to the topic--look at Cameron's post from the radio business report article.

Notice that the largest market of all the markets to be acquired in this deal is Boise (surprise! Boise is market 105).

Not sure what the "synergies" are in this purchase, with a bunch of small markets scattered from Fairbanks to Bangor. This is sort of on par with Google's wonderful "new" idea of wholesaling off-times to national advertisers by automated computer placement. Don't see any land rush of the agencies to buy into that one. Clear Channel used their small markets as bonus buys for the large markets, national spot wasn't really keeping these smaller markets viable.

Clear Channel is looking for quick cash, so they are selling their least-valued properties. Put another way, if these markets are so valuable why is CC selling?

Small markets require twice as much work for half the dollars compared to the large markets. Radio and Records said it best, this deal consists of a slew of "small markets where radio competes to the last blood cell with local newspapers for the advertising dollar."

BTW, read the purchase agreement. The fun begins in 60 days (actually, from the date of the signing, but I suspect it will be from the date of filing, since that's past any date for challenges to the sale to be filed.)

That's the date when GoodRadio must tell Clear Channel which employees they will retain in "comparable jobs" in each of these markets. (Comparable jobs essentially means same pay, same market).