Political Correctness Claims Another

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Arp2

Political Correctness Claims Another

Post by Arp2 »

• Asian Slurs End Shock Jocks' Show on CBS

May 12, 3:39 PM (ET)

By LARRY McSHANE

NEW YORK (AP) - One month after CBS Radio fired radio host Don Imus, it has permanently pulled the plug on a pair of suspended New York shock jocks for a prank phone call rife with offensive Asian stereotypes.

"The Dog House with JV and Elvis," hosted by Jeff Vandergrift and Dan Lay, "will no longer be broadcast," CBS Radio spokeswoman Karen Mateo said Saturday.

The cancellation of the show on WFNY-FM, nearly three weeks after the hosts were suspended, was another indication of the increased scrutiny on radio hosts and the heightened management sensitivity to complaints in the wake of the Imus firing.

CBS Radio dismissed Imus in April for his racist and sexist remarks about the Rutgers women's basketball team.

Vandergrift and Lay broadcast a call to a Chinese restaurant in which the caller, in an exaggerated accent, placed an order for "shrimp flied lice," claimed he was a student of kung fu, and compared menu items to employees' body parts.

The initial airing of the call went unnoticed, but a rebroadcast after Imus's firing prompted an outcry from Asian-American groups. Vandergrift and Lay were initially suspended without pay, but Asian-Americans quickly demanded the same penalty applied to the much higher-profile Imus.

"This is a victory not only for the Asian-American community, but for all communities who find themselves constant targets of racist and sexist programming," said Jeanette Wang, an executive with the Organization of Chinese Americans.

Mateo would not comment on the status of the DJs' contracts or whether they were still on the CBS payroll.
One note I must make...it's become a pet peeve.

Note that Imus' remark was, once again, labelled "racist and sexist" despite the fact that what he said could apply to persons of any race and of either sex. And, of course, there's the press' obsession with the word "alleged," which is somehow left out of the Imus story every time.
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"
The People's DJ
Pimp Hand
Pimp Hand

Re: Political Correctness Claims Another

Post by The People's DJ »

Arp2 wrote:And, of course, there's the press' obsession with the word "alleged," which is somehow left out of the Imus story every time.
There was nothing "alleged" with the Imus case. He said it. He didn't allegedly say "nappy headed hos". He said it.
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

But simply saying "nappy-haired hos" is not inherently racist or sexist because it can refer to people of any race and either sex. Therefore, to remain "objective" and/or "unbiased," a "reporter" should write "what some say is..." or "considered by some to be...."

But, of course, "allegedly" isn't even really a word, so.....

Cosmo087

Double Standard....

Post by Cosmo087 »

And yet Rosie O-D is given a free pass with her "ching ching chong chong" asian speak a few months ago on the View. If it's good for one it's good for all.

Imus would have never been fired if the Sharpton/Jackson "rent-a-riot" hadn't become involved. CBS was scared to death of Sharpton/Jackson and had to dump Imus. I won't defend what Imus said but I will defend his right to say it. It's no more offensive than what Rosie O-D said on the View and yet one's fired and the other is choosing which offer to take next. It's a joke.
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

JV & Elvis were among the best Free-FM type shows they had.

While the Free FM concept was good, I don't see it lasting beyond summer... All of talk radio is under fire now, and the "blue" shows are the easiest targets.

I think that part of it is the moralists and idiots who hate Stern cannot stand the fact that he is still on the air--anywhere, even though the show is opt-in, and to date there are no legal ways to remove him from Sirius.

O & A came under fire for subject matter that was exclusive to the XM audience. Bubba's show also came under fire for a similar skit, even though it was purely satire.

They may have been trial balloons to see how people react to these satellite shows being censored. It's only a matter of time before Stern is once again targeted "for the sake of decency".

/conspiracy

I'm afraid we're heading towards a time when all entertainment, on air or not, will be arbitrarily filtered through some self-appointed moralist committee who will decide "what is fit for the public".

Never have I thought that the First Amendment would be attacked like it is now this soon... It's barely been three years since Boobgate.
mediaeye

Post by mediaeye »

"Nappy head hoes."

To me, that would be a slur meant exclusively for black women. Maybe I'm missing something.
fearpeddler

Post by fearpeddler »

mediaeye wrote:Maybe I'm missing something.
obviously you've missed the last decade...... ho's and every version created withc adjectives were made uniratial over the last ten years or so with the 'gangsta-fying' of the english language...... imus didnt get fired for saying ho.... it was him sayin "jiggaboos" a few lines later that got him fired.....
Doesn't MSNBC stand for the Media that Spins the News for Barrack's Cabinet?

Political Correctness is always having to say you're sorry. - Me
Bob Loblaw
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bob Loblaw »

Bob Campbell

Post by Bob Campbell »

Sweet...though the fact that you even know about a website like that is very disturbing.
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

just a few random things....

from article wrote:The cancellation of the show on WFNY-FM, nearly three weeks after the hosts were suspended, was another indication of the increased scrutiny on radio hosts and the heightened management sensitivity to complaints in the wake of the Imus firing.
I want to throw out my hypothesis... this isn't about who's getting offended, or even what the public will tolerate from the "shock jocks". it's about the all-mighty $$$. if someone would do a timeline of the Imus incedent. he was suspended, but not fired til the advertisers started pulling out. Now, radio companies have "seen the light". radio is losing MILLIONS because of the decline in ad spending from the American auto industry, the "fat" has to be trimmed somewhere. these talents are easy targets because of their controversial content.

Where is the line drawn between "art" and "offense"? Will comedians now stop doing any jokes that have any ethnic vibe?

"This is a victory not only for the Asian-American community, but for all communities who find themselves constant targets of racist and sexist programming," said Jeanette Wang, an executive with the Organization of Chinese Americans.
THAT MADE ME LAUGH TIL I CRIED!!!
I'm not an idiot, but I play one on the radio.
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

A frustrating thing is probably about to happen....

If or when the format fails, the "press" will "report" it was due to the "noble" efforts of the "now-victorious" minority groups over "mean white men." :roll:

Dr. Whiplash

Post by Dr. Whiplash »

- You likee food you come back. We open seven day week, OK?
- The food was great, thanks, we'll be back.

So what was the problem again? :roll: Ah yes, professional Whatever-American whiners. You no like here you go back, get reflesher course.
Last edited by Dr. Whiplash on Mon May 14, 2007 12:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

Dr. Whiplash wrote:- You likee food you come back. We open seven day week, OK?
- The food was great, thanks, we'll be back.

So what was the problem again? :roll: Ah yes, professional Whatever-American whiners.

You no like here you go back, get reflesher course.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

can i be fired and replaced by cheaper imported labor by laughing at that???
I'm not an idiot, but I play one on the radio.
Dr. Whiplash

Post by Dr. Whiplash »

Zak Tyler wrote:can i be fired and replaced by cheaper imported labor by laughing at that???
We pray Vahlginna Beach best lock, OK?
lastone

Post by lastone »

Seems I remember a Supreme Court decision some time ago in which they said jokes about people of Polish desent were Ok. Did that get reversed? Or are there two (or more) standards in play here? :?:
http://www.thenewoldiesshow.com
WRSG Knights 91.5 Middlebourne-Sistersville, WV 5 PM Eastern Wednesdays (Repeats 7 AM Thursdays).
106.3 The Double Q, Farmington, Iowa, 10-11 AM Central time, Wednesdays.
Buckeye Broadcasting, Cambridge, Ohio, 10 AM Eastern time Friday and other days on Live 365.com
WBPS 101.9, Cambridge, Ohio
KZBZ 92.1, Williams, Arizona,
Sundays.
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

Zak Tyler wrote:I want to throw out my hypothesis... this isn't about who's getting offended, or even what the public will tolerate from the "shock jocks". it's about the all-mighty $$$. if someone would do a timeline of the Imus incedent. he was suspended, but not fired til the advertisers started pulling out. Now, radio companies have "seen the light". radio is losing MILLIONS because of the decline in ad spending from the American auto industry, the "fat" has to be trimmed somewhere. these talents are easy targets because of their controversial content.
This is true...

If a broadcast company has their own standards, and an air talent violates them and gets canned, that's one thing. But where are these complaints coming from? Who is making them? And why the steady wave of complaints all at once? Coincidence?

Add to this the renewed interest in reviving the Fairness Doctrine--which will single-handedly kill talk radio as we know it...

It's all tied together. There are people in high places who find the free expression and exchange of thoughts and ideas in the "public square" an intolerable thing, despite that pesky First Amendment.

And if the industry is now "targeting" air talent to "trim the fat", that is just stupid... You mean they're getting rid of the very people they need to retain audience? I don't see how staying the automated jukebox course will make things better in an iPod world.

Never mind the message they're sending to tomorrow's potential talent: you have no artistic freedom, and if you mess up even once you will be thrown to the wolves.

Arp2 wrote:A frustrating thing is probably about to happen....

If or when the format fails, the "press" will "report" it was due to the "noble" efforts of the "now-victorious" minority groups over "mean white men."
Yep.

And that will only encourage these groups to continue these protests to the point that everyone will be afraid to say anything, unless it's been pre-screened on a cue card.