Fisch Radio....

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

herdgirl72 wrote:How about....

"its a great philosophy to have."

Does that work?
Well, I was kinda half-joking around, but, yes, that works better!

And it saves words..... :wink:
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"
SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

wlpatrick wrote:Always happy to answer questions or explain things from the ownership and management perspective. Do not believe that everyone will share my thoughts and opinions but understanding how business decisions are made and why things are done a certain way in today's broadcasting industry may defuse some of the apparent concerns that often are expressed.
I don't know who you are or what you've done, but I always appreciate your knowledge and input on here.

wlpatrick wrote: as a former college professor who corrected a lot of bad English, I appreciate the threads that seem to hammer home basic grammar to the point when some are ready to scream.
As someone who grew up as the blacksheep in a household of literal genius academics and, perhaps even worse, lived with two parents who were teachers and not averse to correcting the king's english as if a misplaced comma or apostrophe were personal insults, it drives me insane when pedantic, unnecessary corrections do nothing other than deflect away from what's being said in an attempt to play a 'smartier than thou' card. Particularly since this is the internet and not the exam for an English degree from Oxford. (nothing personal aimed at Arp... almost every board or email list has one)

That said, eight out of ten times, as an admitted dumbass, I rather grudgingly appreciate the lessons learned.
So sayeth His Royal Highness King Spike; greatest broadcasting talent of his generation.
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

SPIKE NESMITH! wrote:As someone who grew up as the blacksheep in a household

It's always back to the sheep with you - huh Spike?
------------------------
Cameron Smith - CSRE®
Senior Member - SBE 68 Birmingham
Senior Digital Product Manager - Hibbett Sports|City Gear
wlpatrick

Post by wlpatrick »

In terms of who I am and what I have done, although many could care less, I have owned 28 medium and small market radio stations (operate 13 currently as Legend Communications in Wyoming and Missouri) and am now a minority owner in the new GoodRadio.TV. I am currently Chairman of the Board and Lead Independent Director of ION Media Networks (formerly Paxson). I previously was Senior Vice President of the NAB and later COO of Gilmore Broadcasting (3 TV's, four radios and 18 cable systems). I focus most of my time as President of Patrick Communications, a leading media brokerage and investment banking firm. We sell a lot of radio and TV stations across the country and help finance a number of others. Did own The River in the Huntington market along with an AM/FM in Gallipolis. All of these were sold in 2006.

I hold a Ph.D. in communciations from Ohio University, just up the road, along with a B.A. from the University of Kentucky, a M.S. from the University of Tennessee and a law degree from Georgetown University. Taught at the University of Tulsa as well as the University of Maryland for many years. Currently am an adjunct professor (part-time) at Georgetown University Law Center as well as Central Michigan University. More details, along with some articles on how to value stations and other interesting topics on www.patcomm.com. Am also a Trustee of NABPAC, the political action committee arm of the NAB. My wife, Susan, is co-owner of the companies and also a NAB Radio Board member.

Thanks.

Larry Patrick
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

wlpatrick wrote:In terms of who I am and what I have done, although many could care less, I have owned 28 medium and small market radio stations (operate 13 currently as Legend Communications in Wyoming and Missouri) and am now a minority owner in the new GoodRadio.TV. I am currently Chairman of the Board and Lead Independent Director of ION Media Networks (formerly Paxson). I previously was Senior Vice President of the NAB and later COO of Gilmore Broadcasting (3 TV's, four radios and 18 cable systems). I focus most of my time as President of Patrick Communications, a leading media brokerage and investment banking firm. We sell a lot of radio and TV stations across the country and help finance a number of others. Did own The River in the Huntington market along with an AM/FM in Gallipolis. All of these were sold in 2006.

I hold a Ph.D. in communciations from Ohio University, just up the road, along with a B.A. from the University of Kentucky, a M.S. from the University of Tennessee and a law degree from Georgetown University. Taught at the University of Tulsa as well as the University of Maryland for many years. Currently am an adjunct professor (part-time) at Georgetown University Law Center as well as Central Michigan University. More details, along with some articles on how to value stations and other interesting topics on www.patcomm.com. Am also a Trustee of NABPAC, the political action committee arm of the NAB. My wife, Susan, is co-owner of the companies and also a NAB Radio Board member.

Thanks.

Larry Patrick
EXCELLENT!!!! Glad to have you here. I'm looking forward to future discussions. I've always got my eyes and ears open to learn anything new about this industry. oh ya, and other things too... not neccessarily both from the same source though.
I'm not an idiot, but I play one on the radio.
SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

So in short what you're saying here is that you're flush. Grand!

...can I have $50,000? Please?
So sayeth His Royal Highness King Spike; greatest broadcasting talent of his generation.
wlpatrick

Post by wlpatrick »

Unfortunately, the Patrick ATM has reached its daily limit due to excessive withdrawals by two of the graduating Patrick children who have learned the magic of begging from this outlet. Please try your request again later.

Of course, there is always working for the money rather than begging. That's another road filled with rewards, hard work and an occasional disappointment from tyrantical bosses and great corporate programmers from afar. Best wishes.
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

wlpatrick wrote:Unfortunately, the Patrick ATM has reached its daily limit due to excessive withdrawals by two of the graduating Patrick children who have learned the magic of begging from this outlet. Please try your request again later.

Of course, there is always working for the money rather than begging. That's another road filled with rewards, hard work and an occasional disappointment from tyrantical bosses and great corporate programmers from afar. Best wishes.
THAT is probably the classiest comeback I've ever seen posted here.

A tip of the hat, Mr. Patrick!

:lol:
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

wlpatrick wrote:Of course, there is always working for the money rather than begging.
Money? In radio?

Are you kidding?