Cancel XM

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

OH LOOK....

[quote="Kevin Carter-Street Talk Daily Editor"]
Pulling Out: Not Just For Birth Control
Pro-Opie & Anthony support is coming from a very unusual place: their advertisers. Under what passes for normal circumstances, you’d see a sponsor pull out of a show to distance themselves from something negative the hosts said or did. In this case, it’s the opposite: One client is actually dropping its advertising because XM suspended O&A. In a letter posted on his company’s website, Nashville Coffee GM Lou Galli went off on XM: “It is apparent that XM Radio is beholden to crybaby special interest groups who cannot separate humor from reality,â€
I'm not an idiot, but I play one on the radio.
SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

the XM press release wrote:Comments made by Opie and Anthony on yesterday's broadcast put into question whether they appreciate the seriousness of the matter. The management of XM Radio decided to suspend Opie and Anthony to make clear that our on-air talent must take seriously the responsibility that creative freedom requires of them.
http://xmradio.mediaroom.com/index.php? ... &item=1452

That release is dated Tuesday May 15th, one day after they mocked Friday's apology. It seems a whole lot more like punishing them for an indiscretion within company policy rather than over the Rice comments. If it was over the content of the bit, why wasn't the suspension sooner?
So sayeth His Royal Highness King Spike; greatest broadcasting talent of his generation.
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

[quote="Zak Tyler"]OH LOOK....

[quote="Kevin Carter-Street Talk Daily Editor"]
Pulling Out: Not Just For Birth Control
Pro-Opie & Anthony support is coming from a very unusual place: their advertisers. Under what passes for normal circumstances, you’d see a sponsor pull out of a show to distance themselves from something negative the hosts said or did. In this case, it’s the opposite: One client is actually dropping its advertising because XM suspended O&A. In a letter posted on his company’s website, Nashville Coffee GM Lou Galli went off on XM: “It is apparent that XM Radio is beholden to crybaby special interest groups who cannot separate humor from reality,â€
The Snake

Post by The Snake »

As far as I'm concerned, their only offenses were being unfunny and outright stupid in this instance.

:lol: They just aren't funny, to me anyway, I gave them a listen to and just didn't get it.

My feeling is that XM had to save face. They are trying to merge with Sirius (and that isn't looking to good) and if it doesn't go through, then they will have to stand alone and try to survive.

So they punished the bay boys in an attempt to help the merge.

Q&A have the leverage that FM is so disperate for on air talent that they can leave XM and do terestrial for years.

As long as they don't get 0.0 ratings........... :wink: