Feds sue Gazette over DM deal; antitrust violation

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

unchoopfan

Feds sue Gazette over DM deal; antitrust violation

Post by unchoopfan »

Justice Department Accuses Gazette, MediaNews of Antitrust Violations
Posted Tuesday, May 22, 2007 ; 07:17 PM
Updated Tuesday, May 22, 2007 ; 10:09 PM

Complaint filed on Tuesday.
Story by Beth Gorczyca Ryan Email | Bio

CHARLESTON -- Three years after the parent company of The Charleston Gazette purchased its capital city rival, the Charleston Daily Mail, the U.S. Department of Justice has stepped in, declaring the sale as illegal.

The Justice Department filed a lawsuit May 22 in U.S. District Court in Charleston alleging the sale violates antitrust laws. It seeks an order requiring the Daily Gazette Co., which owns the Gazette, and Denver-based MediaNews Group Inc., which owned The Daily Mail, to undo the $55 million deal. As part of that, the DOJ is asking for an order restoring the Daily Mail to its previous competitiveness.

The 19-page complaint alleges the Daily Gazette Co. bought the Daily Mail with the purpose and intent to shut it down. It alleges the Gazette’s parent company then began using its new control over the smaller afternoon-delivered Daily Mail to initiate the termination of the second paper.

The Justice Department said the Daily Gazette Co. suspended those actions in December 2004 when the Department learned of the maneuvers and launched an investigation.

“When the Daily Gazette Co. acquired the Daily Mail with the aim of shutting it down, readers in the Charleston area and the advertisers who valued access to them, were denied the benefits of competition,â€
lastone

Post by lastone »

There are many of these kinds of "deals" that have gone unchallenged. This investigation most likely went forward because the SEC wasn't involved. Corporate America is simply corrupt and no one wants to change it.

Glad I held on to my two wheeler...I'll need it to get to work next week.
http://www.thenewoldiesshow.com
WRSG Knights 91.5 Middlebourne-Sistersville, WV 5 PM Eastern Wednesdays (Repeats 7 AM Thursdays).
106.3 The Double Q, Farmington, Iowa, 10-11 AM Central time, Wednesdays.
Buckeye Broadcasting, Cambridge, Ohio, 10 AM Eastern time Friday and other days on Live 365.com
WBPS 101.9, Cambridge, Ohio
KZBZ 92.1, Williams, Arizona,
Sundays.
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

WTF?!?!?

i don't see how this fits into our society at all.... that's kinda like a hospital coming in and taking your baby at 3 years old saying they gave you the wrong baby... (ok, well, not really. but you get my point.... could think of a REALLY good analogy)
I'm not an idiot, but I play one on the radio.
Norm

Re: Feds sue Gazette over DM deal; antitrust violation

Post by Norm »

unchoopfan wrote:[Copyright 2007 West Virginia Media. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Speaking of copyright laws........................................ :roll:
Dr. Whiplash

Post by Dr. Whiplash »

I'm puzzled. It's good news (pun intended) to keep Charleston with two newspapers but what about the dozens of cities, some much larger, where similar and in some cases much more aggressive methods were used to achieve monopolies? Why the Gazette/Daily Mail, and why now?
fearpeddler

Post by fearpeddler »

I'd say the gazette people are an easy target now, relatively small compared to other papers that have done similar things lately makes for a small court battle when it comes to lawyers getting hired, easy win for the feds...personallly those gazette people need to issue some refunds for the crap they stuff in that paper and call news...
Doesn't MSNBC stand for the Media that Spins the News for Barrack's Cabinet?

Political Correctness is always having to say you're sorry. - Me
bob haldeman

Post by bob haldeman »

As I recall, JOA used to be Portugese for "we're closing the afternoon paper." That said, please scrap the ones in Parkersburg, Wheeling and Clarksburg first before trying that in Charleston.
fearpeddler

Post by fearpeddler »

love the avatar, its the "I protect kids" guy blankenship backed who had never done a case involving children in his life.... whats that d-bags name?

AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

FearPeddler wrote:love the avatar, its the "I protect kids" guy blankenship backed who had never done a case involving children in his life.... whats that d-bags name?
Brent Benjamin.

He was the one who unseated Warren McGraw, and promised a friendlier business climate in WV if he was elected.
fearpeddler

Post by fearpeddler »

he made promises? I've never heard him speak in my life.... just the "he cares for kids" spots....

The People's DJ
Pimp Hand
Pimp Hand

Post by The People's DJ »

K-Rock wrote: He was the one who unseated Warren McGraw,
Yup. He was looking for UGLY and UGLYNESS.
fearpeddler

Post by fearpeddler »

Guess nobody told him in some circles obesity is just as bad as ugly if not worse. :lol: :twisted:

Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

FearPeddler wrote:...in some circles obesity is just as bad as ugly if not worse. :lol: :twisted:

oh i get it... LMAO!!!!!
I'm not an idiot, but I play one on the radio.