What about K 107.1?

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Clay JD Walker

Post by Clay JD Walker »

You also forgot how unimportant elements such as splice editing, getting proper levels on everything, punching carts, and reading liner cards verbatum...oh yeah, and power levels on the xmtr really are in the real world.

But, however, working (and really working) college radio stations to your personal goals is really worth it...because really, who would allow a power puker to work in professional radio...
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

...lemme start with that $75K a month figure you pulled outta' yar arse with all that overhead in personnel, loans, and tower rent.

BAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHAaaaaHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

go get er Sparky.

Not that I'm not trying to be supportive...but...

BAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

Give it to Bob Smith and the kids for a tax break.
------------------------
Cameron Smith - CSRE®
Senior Member - SBE 68 Birmingham
Senior Digital Product Manager - Hibbett Sports|City Gear
sportsvoice

Post by sportsvoice »

Jay Nunley wrote:College radio is great for a few things. There are certain things you just can't learn without air time. College radio give people a chance to get air time they would never get elsewhere. If you want to do radio and you are in college, skip all the class shit and get on the iar as much as they will let you. Do news, play by play, different shifts, production, and anything else you can get. Just the basic understanding of how a control board works is one thing, being able to communicate basic thought over the air is the biggest thing.

Do not major in broadcasting! Business and/or marketing is the way to go, just like Arp says. Hell, a degree in biology will do more good for you in radio than a degree in broadcasting will do.

To sum up. Grab every second of air time you can on your college station. Stay as far away from the broadcasting classroom as physically and mentally possible.
Amen to this. Don't major in broadcasting. Get a different degree. Then when you find it's not for you, put that degree to use.

College radio is what you make of it. I learned how to take readings, use a mod monitor, install and tweak processing, fix boards, repair rack gear, fix cart machines, fix CD players, run a board, install and program a (low budget) automation system, wire a studio, and do sports play-by-play.

Then I saw the "real world" radio environment, said "screw this" and put my M.S. degree to use in another field.
Lee

Post by Lee »

Clay JD Walker wrote:...because really, who would allow a power puker to work in professional radio...
You really want this answered?

:D
twitter.com/CrypticBullshit
Clay JD Walker

Post by Clay JD Walker »

Well, you DID have a gig...
kentuckymedia

Post by kentuckymedia »

Dem dere buttuns on dat bored....Me work up in dat holler

I have a masters degree in Communication Management and Development from a university you may all have heard of (UMASS). University of Mass for those who dont know what UMASS means.

Lets see, I worked in Cape Cod for 3 years and was elevated to Program Director. Then moved to Providence where I decided to get into sales. From there worked up the food chain at WPRO to become Director of Sales. Then off to get my masters.

Then after that, I moved into a company called Prism Radio Partners as the new Asst. Market Manager. Oh yeah, we were bought out by SFX and then I transfered to Wichita as Market Manager for a year and half. Offered the opportunity to work for Ackerly in Seattle (KUBE) then moved back to Louisville as Market Manager for 4 months when Saga asked me to work in my current position.

So that little radio college you keep insisting that I graduated from must be coming out of someone horse-hide!

Can WBKS cripple WKEE? If you had the right people in place it could surely do well...not knock it off the perch, but pull them down a peg or two. Lets see does 45 year old listeners to Magic frequent FYE to hear the latest Justin Timberlake? Last time I checked, they didnt!
genlock

Post by genlock »

It's not Harvard.
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

Where were you at with Prism/SFX?
herdgirl72

Post by herdgirl72 »

You worked at PRO? My best friend Rory was news director there before moving to Florida.
You might know him depending on what years you were a sales weasel for them.
"The whole thing was just a nightmare," Rodriguez said.

LOL!!
Jay Nunley
Swearmaster General
Swearmaster General

Post by Jay Nunley »

kentuckymedia wrote: Dem dere buttuns on dat bored....Me work up in dat holler
Yes, yes. All people from Appalachia speak in that fashion. Thank you very much for pointing it out. We love it when yankees and other non-Appalachians remind us of our inferiority. It keeps us in our place. We need that direction and oversight. We appreciate your efforts in this area.
kentuckymedia wrote:
So that little radio college you keep insisting that I graduated from must be coming out of someone horse-hide!
Dude, the words about college radio were not aimed at you. The discussion morphed from your format ideas into a discussion about college radio. Topic morphing inside a single thread happens all the time on this board. You get used to it.

Thanks for the resume anyway. I'm sure everyone is properly impressed.

kentuckymedia wrote: Can WBKS cripple WKEE? If you had the right people in place it could surely do well...not knock it off the perch, but pull them down a peg or two. Lets see does 45 year old listeners to Magic frequent FYE to hear the latest Justin Timberlake? Last time I checked, they didnt!
Great. Back to the original topic. Are signal weakness and the age of the market populace too much to overcome for this? What about the tastes and demands of the market? Where do they come into play? Again, I'm not asking to be a douchebag. I'm asking because I'm not sure I get what you are suggesting.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

With all do respect to a lot of people that TEACH broadcasting, how many of them have actually WORKED in the business? There is a hell of a lot more to this business than what is taught in broadcasting classes. Its hard for some people to have respect for and to take in what the instructors are saying when the majority of them have never worked for minimum wage and have never paid their dues in this business.
Titties and beer...thank God almighty for titties and beer!
Lee

Post by Lee »

Clay JD Walker wrote:Well, you DID have a gig...
...and just how much money do you make dressing up like Superman??
twitter.com/CrypticBullshit
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

Actually, that's better than I thought....for some reason, I thought it was about 10 miles NNW of there.

Doesn't change anything I said, though....I think its current format is a good and logical choice, and, if it's not going to be sold in combo with 'KEE and EMF's not interested, I can't think of anything obvious to do with it.

Maybe "all railroad songs, all the time." :mrgreen:

The only thing I'd be tempted to think is something Nunley had the opportunity to do and didn't, which tells me it shouldn't be done for some reason that I, not completely knowing the market, don't know.

Wait...why is WBKS on the 107.1 and WAMX on the 106.3?

Is that a dumb question? I should probably quit while I'm.....well, right here.

By the way, I did just think of three possible things to do with it. As a matter of fact, they suddenly seem kinda obvious.
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

Arp2 wrote:Wait...why is WBKS on the 107.1 and WAMX on the 106.3? Is that a dumb question?
No. Not at all. I have often wondered the same thing.

You'd think WBKS' format would work better from Milton, and WAMX's active rock would play better in the more, uh, blue collar areas of the Metro.

Same formats. Different sticks.

8)
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

Hoosier Daddy wrote:
Arp2 wrote:Wait...why is WBKS on the 107.1 and WAMX on the 106.3? Is that a dumb question?
No. Not at all. I have often wondered the same thing.

You'd think WBKS' format would work better from Milton, and WAMX's active rock would play better in the more, uh, blue collar areas of the Metro.

Same formats. Different sticks.

8)
Well, good.....watch 'em get flipped before the one goes, then. The now-CCU cluster would retain the control and destiny of the flanker of one of its "big two" and lose the one that may or may not sell well in combo with its others.

Jay Nunley
Swearmaster General
Swearmaster General

Post by Jay Nunley »

I think it is probably an ad revenue thing. If you have the big dog rock station in any market you are pretty much guaranteed a steady stream of beer, bar, car, and electronics/communications money.

It could also be that WAMX has been there for over a decade, has been successful, and there is no percentage in flipping it.

Or maybe no one has thought of doing that flip.

Or maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about. Many people will tell you this is the case most of the time.

Have you listened to WAMX recently? Eric and company obviously are taking great care it making it sound right. I still think John Boy and Billy hurt them more than help, but it is a solid active rocker and it has been amazingly consistent for a long time.
You're forgetting that the entire metro is "blue collar." Also, rock formats stretch across a much wider social strata than most people think.
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

Jay Nunley wrote:I think it is probably an ad revenue thing. If you have the big dog rock station in any market you are pretty much guaranteed a steady stream of beer, bar, car, and electronics/communications money.

It could also be that WAMX has been there for over a decade, has been successful, and there is no percentage in flipping it.
Shhhhh....! Let's see if others spot these potential flaws in thought left in plain sight! :lol: :wink:

Seriously, though.....you either have to let something go or put something at risk....at least, that's how I see it. Which is safer and/or better to do?

Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

Arp2 wrote:Shhhhh....! Let's see if others spot these potential flaws in thought left in plain sight! :lol: :wink:
Well yeah! He forgot to mention strip clubs!
Last edited by Lester on Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

Jay Nunley wrote:I still think John Boy and Billy hurt them more than help, but it is a solid active rocker and it has been amazingly consistent for a long time.
I agree. I have been saying this for years but more because I despise that program than because of any ratings or programming insight. I enjoy the hell out of Bob and Tom and, when I am in the mood for music, I enjoy the hell out of Animal in the AM (Is that the official name of the program? Who came up with that? UGH!).
kentuckymedia

Post by kentuckymedia »

I was first in Louisville at WVEZ and then left for Wichita...what a joy wichita was, lol!