The suspense was killing me about WSAZ Jr.

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

genlock

The suspense was killing me about WSAZ Jr.

Post by genlock »

Another last minute settlement.

The customers of Time Warner cable will not be facing an interruption of service from WTAP-TV after all.

Representatives of the cable company and the TV station reached an agreement late this afternoon, to allow the cable company to continue providing WTAP’s NBC signal to its customers.

“We are happy that the people who depend on us for news, weather and sports, will not be without us,â€
Dr. Whiplash

Post by Dr. Whiplash »

Geographical clarification: The affected Time-Warner systems cover rural Washington County and parts of Noble, Morgan, Athens and Meigs counties. Former Adelphia systems within 35 miles of PKB.

Just an observation. Here in the Parkersburg-Marietta area nobody outside broadcast circles has any idea that WTAP and WSAZ are co-owned, even though both are on most cable systems. So far, the only sharing I'm aware of (and I'm not a TV person) is some news video from in-between: Ravenswood, Pomeroy, Point Pleasant.

I understand from TV folks on the board that various economies of scale are being or will be introduced. But be aware that WTAP is a very lucrative operation - they own this small but economically stable market - and I don't think the owners are going to strip it down into a WSAZ Jr, at least not in visible ways.

Having said that, Gray should either upgrade WTAP's weather capability or pipe it in from H-C. WTAP only has one meteorologist, who's stuck with badly outdated tools such as hour-ago radar. It can be painful to watch.