A Few Reminders From Big Poppa Jay

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Jay Nunley
Swearmaster General
Swearmaster General

A Few Reminders From Big Poppa Jay

Post by Jay Nunley »

This is to school all the newbies on the board and to serve as a reminder for everyone else.

1. Jessica Ralston LOVES me. Big time. It borders on obsession.

2. If the format ain't Rock, Classic Country, or Talk the format is gay.

3. AC/DC rules.

4. Ohio State lost. Twice.
genlock

Post by genlock »

Jessica was sending those secret messages on the air to me.
Secret body language.
Bob Campbell

Post by Bob Campbell »

So you're saying Rush Limbaugh is NOT gay? Sure...
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Dammit, Jay, I want rules, too. I'm fairly new to the board, but I have survived 19 years of SMALL town radio, so...

1. Beer controls every aspect of my being.

2. Boobs get whatever is left from that.

3. Modern country sucks, unless it comes from Texas

4. Ohio State may have lost twice, but my Cowboys are capable of losing more than that in one night. Dammit, though, they're my team and I love 'em, for some reason.

5. The majority of people under 30 who walk this Earth are fucking morons.

6. I still hate old people and kids.

7. Did I mention I like beer?
Titties and beer...thank God almighty for titties and beer!
Schaffer

Post by Schaffer »

Well done, sir!
Jay Nunley
Swearmaster General
Swearmaster General

Post by Jay Nunley »

Bob Campbell wrote:So you're saying Rush Limbaugh is NOT gay? Sure...
I didn't say Limbaugh isn't gay. I said his format is not gay.
Jay Nunley
Swearmaster General
Swearmaster General

Post by Jay Nunley »

daveinthemorning wrote:
5. The majority of people under 30 who walk this Earth are fucking morons.
Take out the "under 30" and I'm with you on this.
Lee

Post by Lee »

I've been with this board a long time, so I gots some rules too!

1. Nunley is a bitch.

2. Even though Ohio State lost, we are still better than Marshall would ever think about being in this or any other lifetime.

3. Baseball is boring

4. NASCAR isn't a sport.

5. Mark Hallburn is an underrated journalist.
twitter.com/CrypticBullshit
Dr Fever

Post by Dr Fever »

Your idea intrique me, Mr Nunley. I would be interested in subscribing to your newsletter....
"Children are like TV sets. When they start acting weird, whack them across the head with a big rubber basketball shoe."
-Hunter S. Thompson
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

daveinthemorning wrote: my Cowboys ... they're my team and I love 'em, for some reason.
i'll try not to hold that against you. :)
I'm not an idiot, but I play one on the radio.
Jay Nunley
Swearmaster General
Swearmaster General

Post by Jay Nunley »

Lee wrote: 1. Nunley is a bitch.
I don't get it. I have a number of character flaws (a few of which run quite deep). Why would you choose an insult that is not accurate in any way? Only the truth is funny. It would have been better had you opined that I was an asshole or a half-smart fuckknob. Those barbs have truth in them, therefore they are much more funny and entertaining.

Hey Arp! Where does the comma go when using the word "therefore."
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

Jay Nunley wrote:Those barbs have truth in them, therefore they are much more funny and entertaining.

Hey Arp! Where does the comma go when using the word "therefore."
It depends what it's there for....!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ok, ok.....

(That's like a grammar cop's all-time best straight line, ya know!)

Actually, it doesn't really matter why "therefore" is there.....what matters is how and where.

I'm sure there's some case I'm not thinking of, but I feel safe in saying that there should always be a comma after "therefore." When it's inserted in the middle of a clause or sentence, however, it should be completely set off by commas....like I just did with "however."

"Therefore, they are more entertaining."

...or....

"They are, therefore, more entertaining."

Your sentence, though, is lacking a conjunction ("therefore" is an adverb), so it needs a conjunction to properly connect its two clauses or a semicolon to keep them separate. I would have written it...

"Those barbs have truth in them; therefore, they are much more funny and entertaining."

...or....

"Those barbs have truth in them; they are, therefore, much more funny and entertaining."

There are a couple of other options....

(A compound predicate) "Those barbs have truth in them and, therefore, are much more funny and entertaining."

(A compound sentence - two variations) "Those barbs have truth in them, and, therefore, they are much more funny and entertaining." ""Those barbs have truth in them, and they are, therefore, much more funny and entertaining."

That about covers it......
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"
Lee

Post by Lee »

Jay Nunley wrote:
Lee wrote: 1. Nunley is a bitch.
I don't get it. I have a number of character flaws (a few of which run quite deep). Why would you choose an insult that is not accurate in any way? Only the truth is funny. It would have been better had you opined that I was an asshole or a half-smart fuckknob. Those barbs have truth in them, therefore they are much more funny and entertaining.
You're right Jay, I do apologize for that un-funny remark.

Sometimes you smell like baby powder and that disturbs me. I do not want to know WHERE or WHY you put the baby powder, I just know that you smell like baby powder.

Your hair is also kinda greasy. You kind of look like a fat Squiggy off of "Laverne and Shirley."

And man, you gotta do something about that wet spot on the back of your shirt. Is that sweat from driving in a hot car all day or did you have some sort of accident?

:D
Bob Campbell

Post by Bob Campbell »

Jay, while the rules are pretty much right on, I think you're being too hard on Ohio State. I mean come on, they could finish 4th or 5th in one of the divisions of the SEC in a really good year.

And while CHR is today a fairly gay format, I think I had a few good non-gay moments in it.
Jay Nunley
Swearmaster General
Swearmaster General

Post by Jay Nunley »

Douchebag wrote:Your hair is also kinda greasy.

Again, look for accuracy to be funny. Fat squiggy would be funny if my hair were actually greasy. An good example would be to call me an even fatter John Goodman or possibly a really fat Bob Seger.
Bob Campbell wrote:Jay, while the rules are pretty much right on, I think you're being too hard on Ohio State. I mean come on, they could finish 4th or 5th in one of the divisions of the SEC in a really good year.

And while CHR is today a fairly gay format, I think I had a few good non-gay moments in it.
We are in agreement.
Lee

Post by Lee »

Jay Nunley wrote:
Douchebag wrote:Your hair is also kinda greasy.

Again, look for accuracy to be funny. Fat squiggy would be funny if my hair were actually greasy. An good example would be to call me an even fatter John Goodman or possibly a really fat Bob Seger.
Bob Campbell wrote:Jay, while the rules are pretty much right on, I think you're being too hard on Ohio State. I mean come on, they could finish 4th or 5th in one of the divisions of the SEC in a really good year.

We are in agreement.
Again, you wanted truth, so I gave it to you...as how I see it!

:D