WVBA Award Winners

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

unchoopfan

WVBA Award Winners

Post by unchoopfan »

Anyone have a full list of winners from this weekend's WVBA Awards Dinner? Please share!

WVBA has yet to post anything to its site - no surprise.
Tom Taggart

Re: WVBA Award Winners

Post by Tom Taggart »

You mean the West Virginia Radio Awards banquet?
Greg Goodfellow

Post by Greg Goodfellow »

It would be nice for the awards dinner to be held at other locations, such as Wheeling or Parkersburg. Oglebay and the White Palace in Wheeling are two places that come to mind. Parkersburg has a couple of locations that could accomodate everyone as well, and there are new hotels as well. Heck, the Blennerhassett Hotel might even work. Anyhoo, other areas should be considered to perhaps blunt the effect of certain entities corralling the majority of the awards year after year. Allegedly, broadcasting associations from surrounding states do the judging, yet the same stations seem to get to the brass ring.

Perception is reality.
"Television is a medium because anything well done is rare."
~ Fred Allen ~

“Radio is the theater of the mind; television is the theater of the mindless”-Steve Allen
Dave Harman

Post by Dave Harman »

And this year, that brass ring went to Bluefield. Congratulations to those stations, who once again proved that it's necessary to enter to win. However, entering the contest is not as easy as whining about how you can't win.
unchoopfan

Post by unchoopfan »

WVBA has posted the 2014 Excellence in Broadcasting Awards winners list on its website.
Greg Goodfellow

Post by Greg Goodfellow »

I was afraid that my post would be considered as 'whining,' and I did hesitate to respond. However, I reread the second half, and a reasonable person might come up with that opinion. For that, I heartily apologize, because that takes away from the effort required to earn such honors. It just seemed that the people going to the stage were running out of things to say, since they made quite a few trips. Perhaps reviewing the winners may change that perception.

I will never knowingly denigrate a group that deserves to win and that does win. I was merely suggesting that an alternate location could be considered to begin to erase any negative perceptions. Heck, Seven Ranges won in a category a while back, so 'whining' isn't an element. If each association has set requirements that are similar to each other, then transparency can be better assured. If the criteria is understood by submitting stations and groups, everyone can then be comfortable with the results, forcing everyone to work even harder, with the listener/consumer always the TRUE winner.

Flatwoods is in the geographic center of the state. It has amenities, and could be considered as another site thrown into the mix.
"Television is a medium because anything well done is rare."
~ Fred Allen ~

“Radio is the theater of the mind; television is the theater of the mindless”-Steve Allen
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

I don't know why we even have a broadcasters association. Can anyone honestly say their station has benefited from membership in any way? The only benefit my station received when we were members was the privilege of airing their PSAs. :|
genlock

Post by genlock »

The purpose of the WVBA is to lobby the legislature to prevent passage of
bills like the recent tries to outlaw or restrict "Non-Competes" in contracts.
Ant keep taxes low for owners, of course.
"Everyone Should be aware that you're just a screen grab away from infamy."
genlock

Post by genlock »

How many stations in the state actually use non-competes in their contracts?
I suspect only the TV stations and then only maybe 4 or 5 will do that.
The upside to that is the bill for the lobbying is spread out over a lot of radio
stations that don't use contracts. Maybe the nifty website is what the radio stations use?
"Everyone Should be aware that you're just a screen grab away from infamy."