WSAZ NewsChannel 3 First Look at Four

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Mr. Jones

WSAZ NewsChannel 3 First Look at Four

Post by Mr. Jones »

Starts next Monday.

Because that's what we need: more cheaply produced repeating news content.

Yep, that'll do it.
genlock

Re: WSAZ NewsChannel 3 First Look at Four

Post by genlock »

No syndication to buy and more spot avails.
easy to re-rack prompter.
Lights cost less to run now.
talent cheaper.
"Everyone Should be aware that you're just a screen grab away from infamy."
cgarison

Post by cgarison »

Hmmm.... let's look at the typical news model:

10 minutes of commercials (propaganda)
7 minutes of news with network produced national news (propaganda and fear mongering) clips
4 minutes of weather (with weather related fear mongering and climate change propaganda)
4 minutes of sports (to distract us from the fear mongering and promote NBCSN)
5 minutes human interest and other pre-produced (propaganda and fear mongering) crap from network.
Rinse and repeat for 4 more, 30 minute cycles with an anchor change at the top of the hour with the big name highly compensated "A-Team" taking the desk at 6:00pm.

Yea, this is going to be simply AWESOME! (not).

I wonder if this is a truly local decision or a mandate from the new "Comcastic" management in Philly to make all affiliates more like the corporate owned stations.
The first step in a successful revolution is to defeat all competing revolutionaries.
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

genlock wrote:No syndication to buy and more spot avails.
easy to re-rack prompter.
Lights cost less to run now.
talent cheaper.
Computer-driven video and audio switching, robotic cameras (small crew)
NEVER hurts for a TV station to own the "local news" and "breaking news" images (though, of course, we here know both can be total BS)
All the local news content will drive website use and advertising
Predictability and protection of revenue streams greatly raised
Effectiveness of strong-arm tactics and "we'll drop you" threats from networks/syndicators greatly diminished

Assuming the audience doesn't get tired of the stupid news formatics, writing style, and bumper music, such things are win-win-win-win-win-win-win-win.
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"
cgarison

Post by cgarison »

Plus for the mothership network, this also pushes the affiliates to work more to gather stories and feed them into the pipeline which helps them reduce overhead at other divisions like MSNBC. This gives corporate more bang for the buck.

But I agree with being careful with bumper music. Or even worse, this new trend of music beds while the talking heads are reading news stories. I understand they want to make sure that if someone clips the show and posts it to YouTube that the "branding" is intact, but it is really annoying for the viewer (or half assed viewer and mostly listener like me) to try to pick up on the headlines while reading the web for more interesting news items. It is only a matter of time that this hits local news because I have seen it on a few networks already.
The first step in a successful revolution is to defeat all competing revolutionaries.
lastone

Post by lastone »

Only a true moron would want to program three hours of local news! Including advertiser interviews in the noon news sucks. Why not just make em' a 12 minute infomercial? LOL
http://www.thenewoldiesshow.com
WRSG Knights 91.5 Middlebourne-Sistersville, WV 5 PM Eastern Wednesdays (Repeats 7 AM Thursdays).
106.3 The Double Q, Farmington, Iowa, 10-11 AM Central time, Wednesdays.
Buckeye Broadcasting, Cambridge, Ohio, 10 AM Eastern time Friday and other days on Live 365.com
WBPS 101.9, Cambridge, Ohio
KZBZ 92.1, Williams, Arizona,
Sundays.
genlock

Post by genlock »

One place WSAZ needs a newscast is Sunday mornings.
They had one years ago, with Brunner.

Already the newscasts are running commercials of longer length.
WSAZ and WOWK both are running a terrible home security spot
for many days now. Maybe this is what to expect on the 4 pm
news along with the hottest you-tube videos and Kardashians.
"Everyone Should be aware that you're just a screen grab away from infamy."
cgarison

Post by cgarison »

lastone wrote:Including advertiser interviews in the noon news sucks. Why not just make em' a 12 minute infomercial? LOL
At least they are up front about this practice by blatantly calling it an "advertiser interview" unlike the network newscasts and big city local newscasts where corporate promotion is thinly veiled in the guise of news. If any report in the news incudes a proverbial "call to action" then it is an advertisement regardless of where it lands in the broadcast.
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

genlock wrote:Maybe this is what to expect on the 4 pm
news along with the hottest you-tube videos and Kardashians.
Sadly, that sounds much more entertaining than the local news. Perhaps Ryan Seacrest can host.
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

cgarison wrote:But I agree with being careful with bumper music. Or even worse, this new trend of music beds while the talking heads are reading news stories. I understand they want to make sure that if someone clips the show and posts it to YouTube that the "branding" is intact, but it is really annoying for the viewer (or half assed viewer and mostly listener like me) to try to pick up on the headlines while reading the web for more interesting news items. It is only a matter of time that this hits local news because I have seen it on a few networks already.
I was just thinking about how burnt it can get....after the ten-thousandth time (not even a year's worth), one starts to realize how bad it is or how mediocre the production was.
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"