I hurt media

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

genlock

I hurt media

Post by genlock »

On Tuesday, Clear Channel — by far the largest operator of radio stations in the United States — renamed itself iHeartMedia, in recognition of what Robert W. Pittman, the company’s chief executive, says is how thoroughly the iHeartRadio franchise has become incorporated into virtually everything Clear Channel does.

For Clear Channel, the rebranding is also an effort to reshape perceptions of the company for the digital age, when radio’s dominance is being challenged by digital newcomers like Pandora and Spotify. The company began in the 1970s and was taken over as part of a $17.9 billion private equity deal that was completed at the peak of the market in 2008 — and which saddled the company with a mountain of debt.
"Everyone Should be aware that you're just a screen grab away from infamy."
cgarison

Re: I hurt media

Post by cgarison »

How long before there is a fire sale on various and sundry "sticks" around the country?

As an aside, I pay attention to the things that happen in tech, whether it takes place in the Silicon Valley, Silicon Alley, or the Silicon Prairie, (shame we don't have a cute name for the tech area that is around Austin or that hellhole of Cambridge, MA) but I have never heard that Apple, Google, Pandora, Spotify, or Rdio are threatend by the integration of digital streaming into the realm of broadcast radio. In fact, if this was such a marvelous concept, Apple (with their piles of cash from iDevice sales) would have acquired Clear Channel earlier this year instead of purchasing Beats for their streaming audio deals with the major labels to improve iTunes Radio. There is no way the future of radio is streaming audio. In fact, streaming audio might as well be hogtied because most mobile carriers and a handful of landbase ISPs have stringent datacaps which hurt the consumer and prevent unlimited use of the internet. Granted, cable providers are protecting their pay on demand business from Netflix, Amazon and Hulu, but it still is an artificial limit that current medium of broadcast media does not have to contend with. In short, this has to be the biggest bonehead move of desperation since the creation of (AOL)TimeWarner over a decade ago. /rant
The first step in a successful revolution is to defeat all competing revolutionaries.
muthaluvfan

Post by muthaluvfan »

Great decision Clear channel/ I heart corp. In wheeling they had a great morning show 97.3 Jim Conner an Adult contemporary station and they put him in the afternoon for some stupid morning show out of New Orleans. What a terrible situation absolutely terrible. So many people woke up to Jim for years and now they get cheesy talk from the South.
cgarison

Post by cgarison »

I am not sure if it is still on the air, but in the Tri State, (Mostly Ironton, Ashland and West Huntington) 107.1 FM was rebroadcasting Elvis Duran and the Z Morning Zoo from NYC. I have a hard time listening to the Z Morning Zoo when I was in New York (of and on) for the last 5 years, and I certainly do not listen to any of the voiced tracked garbage on Q102 here in Philly (which includes the Z Morning Zoo as well.) But in Ashland, this show just does not fit the style of life. In short ClearChannel has lost the war in the battle for the radio waves.

Quite honestly, when I am home, my radio is locked to WNKU's repeater on 104.1 and I rarely move off of that. Crap. I'm now an old fart.

IHeartMedia or as the thread is named "IHurtMedia" has ruined radio and hopefully they will have no influence on streaming media. If they had a chance to impact the industry, I truly believe they would have been acquired by a SillyConValley company in the last two years. So now they can wither until they fade from existence.
The first step in a successful revolution is to defeat all competing revolutionaries.