West Virginia station changes primary anchor

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

genlock

West Virginia station changes primary anchor

Post by genlock »

April Kaull, a veteran anchor of nearly 15 years at West Virginia Media's WOWK-13-CBS in Charleston, WV (Market #66), is leaving the TV business to teach journalism at her alma mater, West Virginia University.

She'll be replaced in January by Tammi Arender , who has been anchoring the "Rural Evening News" on cable's RFD TV.

Arender anchored previously in Nashville, Baton Rouge, Little Rock, and Monroe. She also did entertainment reporting for "Entertainment Tonight," "Access Hollywood," and The Nashville Network. And she hosted on the Nashville-based Shop At Home Network.

WOWK is still without a news director. Ellen Miller abruptly resigned in November, after just nine months on the job. Ken White, the former ND at Bahakel's WCCB-18-CW in Charlotte (Market #24), has been sitting in as interim news director but reportedly has zero interest in taking the job full time. Mike Sechrist has been general manager at WOWK since July.

http://www.rfdtv.com/story/23073773/tammi-arender
"Everyone Should be aware that you're just a screen grab away from infamy."
genlock

Re: West Virginia station changes primary anchor

Post by genlock »

I can't believe that nobody on here has expressed an interest in the WOWK news directors job.
I know we have the trained and talented people on here to do that job.
A lot of you are out of work anyway so what the hell? Go for it.
You will have those TV people goosestepping up and down the halls of the
Bray Cary Palace of Broadcasting in no time.
Albert

Post by Albert »

genlock wrote:I can't believe that nobody on here has expressed an interest in the WOWK news directors job.
I know we have the trained and talented people on here to do that job.
A lot of you are out of work anyway so what the hell? Go for it.
You will have those TV people goosestepping up and down the halls of the
Bray Cary Palace of Broadcasting in no time.
Maybe they finally have run out of news director candidates willing to buy into the WVMH business model. This is a small industry and word does get around.
genlock

Post by genlock »

This is a place for the random asshole who wants to boss people around.
If bray can find one of those who can stand his abuse, It is a fit.
Hold your nose for a year and then move on to a real job.
You can learn first hand how not to do it.
Greg Goodfellow

Post by Greg Goodfellow »

I may have said this before, but someone employed in that company said that one could make more money flipping burgers.
"Television is a medium because anything well done is rare."
~ Fred Allen ~

“Radio is the theater of the mind; television is the theater of the mindless”-Steve Allen
JKF18

Post by JKF18 »

I have often wondered about the salaries at WBOY and WDTV. I remember years ago most of the on-air staff had second jobs, some in retail. One of the weatherman worked at Meadowbrook Mall. But some of the staff that has been on the air at either station for quite awhile, like Albert Zipp and Jason Parrish were at WBOY, or even the current weatherman at WDTV Ken Mehan - wonder if they are paid more for staying longer?

Also am wondering if WBOY's ratings will fall with the loss of Jason Parrish. Not as if WDTV gives most people a reason to switch over. A lot of my family who has lived in the area for a long time stay on WBOY all day long and never change the channel.

Does anyone watch the FOX 10 at 10 on WVFX? I remember when it started originally piped in from the INN network. Then, of course WDTV took over the production with Sunshine Wiles, who I have heard recently on radio with Metro News. Now, it seems mostly rehashed stories from the earlier WDTV broadcasts. Also, the current anchorwoman seems to have a speech impediment or a possible medical condition. I'm certainly not making fun of her, if she does have one or the other more power to her for achieving a position in broadcasting.

One thing that has never made sense - why does the WBOY ABC service not simulcast the weekend newscasts?
cgarison

Post by cgarison »

genlock wrote:This is a place for the random asshole who wants to boss people around.
If bray can find one of those who can stand his abuse, It is a fit.
Hold your nose for a year and then move on to a real job.
You can learn first hand how not to do it.
Yep. I did something similar in Charleston for 9 months before I got a real job. If you can call working for the Evil Empire a real job.

Been there, done that and literally have the t-shirts to prove it.
The first step in a successful revolution is to defeat all competing revolutionaries.