Network morning shows

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Hoss

Network morning shows

Post by Hoss »

Having retired my mornings sometimes include watching news. What I have discovered is the local shows pretty much deliver but the network morning shows are a bunch of self promotion (for their network or corporate owners interests) as well as the anchors own personal glorification. These goals seem to have encompassed much of the time, in other words the actual news and news enhancing reports are pretty slim. These shows have so much air time you think they could use a little time to find and air stories to advance the viewers understanding of current events. If they're entertainment programs then label them as that and provide some entertainment. I find them very uninteresting overall and many times the segments are confusing being rushed for time. Also too many people speaking and laughing with the noise of the toys, appliances and other featured items interfering with the audio stream. I will say NBC certainly has a lot of popular current music groups featured. Probably affiliated with the Universal Studios or other NBC owned properties. Yes the locals recycle the news from yesterday but do a pretty good job of updating with the anchors on the desk. What's a mother to do? I'm done and I guess you could say I should've done more and you would be correct.
I hold that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing. Thomas Jefferson, January 30, 1787.
Tom Taggart

Re: Network morning shows

Post by Tom Taggart »

Why do think they are called the "lame stream" media? Their aim is to indoctrinate, not to inform. Also, you need to consider the demographics of their audience.
cgarison

Post by cgarison »

Hoss wrote:I will say NBC certainly has a lot of popular current music groups featured. Probably affiliated with the Universal Studios or other NBC owned properties.

And ABC News is just as bad for promoting the interest of their parent company, Walt Disney.
The first step in a successful revolution is to defeat all competing revolutionaries.
Greg Goodfellow

Post by Greg Goodfellow »

Over the Christmas break, we watched "Today" for a very few segments, then quickly flipped to 'The CBS Morning News'-For me, "Today" has gotten so bad that you could envision losing IQ points each time you viewed it.
"Television is a medium because anything well done is rare."
~ Fred Allen ~

“Radio is the theater of the mind; television is the theater of the mindless”-Steve Allen
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

Yes NBC Today would be a quick click to somewhere else for me also, but you know how it goes the wife has watched that channel (3) all her life and does not watch any news but WSAZ, even though Today is far from news. Retired I'm just an interloper during the daytime. Not sure she now likes sharing her what used to be her exclusive domain. I have not gone so far as to watch the SOAPS!
I hold that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing. Thomas Jefferson, January 30, 1787.
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

Hoss wrote:These shows have so much air time you think they could use a little time to find and air stories to advance the viewers understanding of current events. If they're entertainment programs then label them as that....
They're entertainment programs.

All successful "news" programs are.

If you want "news" programs in the US that aren't, technically, entertainment, then you have to go where "news" programs are completely UNsuccessful and have virtually no viewers -- PBS. But those are mediocre, lacking resources, and biased to the point of being unreality.

If you simply must watch news-appearing US TV in the morning, CNBC and Bloomberg are about all I'd even somewhat recommend. Otherwise, I'd peruse the English-language outlets in Singapore, Hong Kong (assuming story not about China), Australia, and New Zealand and assemble my own video playlist of news.
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"
cgarison

Post by cgarison »

Arp2 wrote:If you simply must watch news-appearing US TV in the morning, CNBC and Bloomberg are about all I'd even somewhat recommend.
CNBC is off my list until they replace Kernan. That arse is so dumb that he did not know the currency of Ireland is the Euro. And the rest of the broadcast is nothing more than some blather about corporate press releases and supposition about market effects, but in reality, the tickers they display do not show more than 50% of the action with market traded instruments of finance. Damn Michael Lewis spoiled another aspect of the dreamy world of finance with his Flash Boys book last summer. Bloomberg has better news, but again, their tickers do not come close to reporting the actual volume of market churn.
The first step in a successful revolution is to defeat all competing revolutionaries.
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

cgarison wrote:
Arp2 wrote:If you simply must watch news-appearing US TV in the morning, CNBC and Bloomberg are about all I'd even somewhat recommend.
CNBC is off my list until they replace Kernan.
Huh...Kernen's the main reason I watch. (And the fact that he used a social media item I sent him earlier this week is immaterial..... 8) )

Becky....seems like a victim of Stockholm Syndrome.

Andrew....man, one should have to have lived in the real world before working for a media outlet that broadcasts (cablecasts) to it. Even more horrifying is that the idea of a real, functioning reality outside of Manhattan, southern Connecticut, the Ivy League, the capitols of Europe, and exotic vacation spots in the Far East is nothing more than an intellectual hypothesis to him that, perhaps, he might some day consider but not actually explore. I mean, I seem to remember him once questioning why someone might want a yard when a government park was no more than two miles away!
And the rest of the broadcast is nothing more than some blather about corporate press releases....
You know, I sometimes wish that were true because, contrary to common belief, CNBC is almost entirely market news and talk, not business news and talk!

There have been many times that I've spent many hours with CNBC but then stumbled across a major business-related story that apparently didn't merit a single mention on CNBC. That seems unwise to me, but I know filling hours with market talk rather than business news is the far easier and cheaper thing to do...you know, like how filling local newscasts with news from the central city / downtown is the easiest thing to do regardless of how few people live there or care about it....real newsgathering is difficult and expensive.
Bloomberg has better news....
Maybe, but I can easily ignore Bloomberg's US feed and not feel like I'm missing anything. HOWEVER, if Bloomberg would give us its Australasia product every evening like it does on Sundays rather than the Charlie Rose and "mainstream" political crap they attempt to program, I'd probably be spending ~15 hours (or more) a week with them.....

But, anyway, yeah, I'll stick with saying CNBC is pretty much the only TV morning show I'd recommend....

...AND I'll note that some radio shows are now making themselves into TV shows....or video streams that look kinda like a TV show......that's a way to go!
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

Arp2 wrote: They're entertainment programs.
Bingo. Enough said. It's an entertainment program with a sprinkle of news. Sadly, The news is often entertainment in and of itself.