94.5 Charleston

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Mr. Jones

94.5 Charleston

Post by Mr. Jones »

WVTS-FM is now WYNL.

Does this mean a format change is on the Bristol horizon?
Shanen Wright

Re: 94.5 Charleston

Post by Shanen Wright »

Interesting. Bristol flipped 99.3 Z-Rock from Active Rock to Alternative last month along with changing calls from WTZR to WEXX: http://radioinsight.com/blog/headlines/ ... ternative/

But WYNL doesn't fit with an X clone coming to the market. Seems like they would have gone with WVXX or something like that if they were going in that direction.

The letters initially made me think "Your News Leader." Or better yet some sort of oldies or classic rock as Vinyl 94.5.

But who knows what (if anything) the letter change means. From radio-locator it does look like 1240 is still WVTS, which would lead me to believe that the current syndicated talk lineup may end up only on AM.

If they went back to music, I would see Soft AC or some variation of Rock as the only things that wouldn't cannibalize QBE or Electric...
news89

Post by news89 »

I been listening to 94.5 around 5am and 6am the past few mornings for changes. As of today they are still Newstalk and in mono. Also all the legal ID's and liners still say WVTS AM/FM Dunbar/ Charleston.
Shanen Wright

Post by Shanen Wright »

Noticed this afternoon that they're in stereo now. Seemed to be testing in drive time with several country songs, but went back to talk...
Shanen Wright

Post by Shanen Wright »

Mystery solved: http://newlife945.com/

I think its a smart move for Bristol. Contemporary Christian is really hot in Charleston and only served by non-comms K-Love and Air1. Lots of potential advertisers (Joey Holland is already on there) and local tie-in potentials with congregations and concerts. Winter Jam regularly kicks off here at the Civic Center and you're seeing more Christian acts selling well at the Clay Center...

It's not a format I'll personally listen to, but it will definitely sell better than WVTS on FM. The old talk format had more PSAs than a non-comm. I think local personalities would be a real plus on New Life but they may want to take a wait and see approach (no personalities listed on the web). Also interesting to launch on Easter...