WVPBS & WVKM

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

lastone

WVPBS & WVKM

Post by lastone »

It's been two months since Three States Broadcasting filed for change of ownership.
FCC still says "Accepted for filing",
There has not been a consummation filed.
Is the deal off?
Any insight to what WVPBS is doing?
http://www.thenewoldiesshow.com
WRSG Knights 91.5 Middlebourne-Sistersville, WV 5 PM Eastern Wednesdays (Repeats 7 AM Thursdays).
106.3 The Double Q, Farmington, Iowa, 10-11 AM Central time, Wednesdays.
Buckeye Broadcasting, Cambridge, Ohio, 10 AM Eastern time Friday and other days on Live 365.com
WBPS 101.9, Cambridge, Ohio
KZBZ 92.1, Williams, Arizona,
Sundays.
Tom Taggart

Re: WVPBS & WVKM

Post by Tom Taggart »

45 days is normal for a transfer.
lastone

Post by lastone »

As of June 30, the sale has been OK'd by the FCC. The stipulation to be back on the air by August still stands.
Consummation is expected within 30 days.
What will WVPBS do with it?
WRSG Knights 91.5 Middlebourne-Sistersville, WV 5 PM Eastern Wednesdays (Repeats 7 AM Thursdays).
Buckeye Broadcasting, Cambridge, Ohio, 10 AM Eastern time Friday and other days on Live 365.com
Sundays.
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

Same as they do for the 14 other stations, pass through of the Charleston signal. You expect something new and creative from a dying media?
I hold that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing. Thomas Jefferson, January 30, 1787.
lastone

Post by lastone »

I'm just curious about if they will keep the proposed xmtr location (10 miles out in KY) or move it back to WV and drop the ERP to 6KW.
My original location (just across the river in KY) put more coverage into WV. The proposed location makes it more a KY station.
Sundays.
genlock

Post by genlock »

My guess is that they will put the xmtr in WV someplace.
It is a state agency, so out-of-state is not a go.
Don't know where.
"Everyone Should be aware that you're just a screen grab away from infamy."
lastone

Post by lastone »

As of July 17th, WVEBA is the proud owner of....something.
Last rumor was that there wasn't any equipment at WVKM. it had been sold to satisfy a lawsuit. Again it's an old rumor.
Now WVEBA, you've bought the poke....let's see what is in it! :)
Sundays.
cgarison

Post by cgarison »

I doubt if there is much in the poke except for the useless construction permit for the tower on the hill above Blackberry Fork smack in the middle of Pike County, KY. I would say WEVBA is looking for a transmitter site to put a repeater on the other side of the Tug Fork.
The first step in a successful revolution is to defeat all competing revolutionaries.
unchoopfan

Post by unchoopfan »

WV Public Broadcasting buys WVKM
NPR programming approved for Mingo-Logan and surrounding areas

http://loganbanner.com/news/1455/wv-pub ... -buys-wvkm
August 5th, 2015

By Courtney Pigman
cpigman@civitasmedia.com

WILLIAMSON – Recent approval from the Federal Communications Commission allows West Virginia Public Broadcasting (WVPB) to begin broadcasting WVPB programming in Mingo, Logan and surrounding areas.

In October 2014, the West Virginia Educational Broadcasting Authority approved the purchase of former WVKM 106.7 FM radio station located at Matewan-Buskirk for $280,000. WVKM, an FM station, was owned by longtime local radio personality, George Warren.

Scott Finn, executive director and CEO of West Virginia Public Broadcasting, discusses the struggle of finding a location that would best serve the listening area. “The Logan- Mingo area is hard to serve because of the geography of the area. We are in the process of finding the best location to serve the area,” Finn said.

To reach all listeners, Finn explained the best location for the Mingo- Logan listening area would be a mountain top. “If you have listened to the radio, you know that sometimes you lose signal when you travel in a valley. If we broadcast from the top of the mountain, we would have a stronger signal,” Finn said.

Finn described the effort as a, “work in progress,” but it may be possible for listeners in some areas to tune in to WVPB programming within a month. “We are working on getting a better tower to serve the most people we can. We will be in our final location by January. We will operate at a weaker signal until then,” Finn explained.

WVPB plans on hosting a community event when the station is ready to broadcast full time. Fin said, “When we turn on the station, we plan to do an event.”

WVKM had also operated WHJC 1360 AM for many years, but it has been off the air for several years. WVKM has been off the airwaves for several months.

“Telling West Virginia’s story,” is the motto of WVPB. Finn plans to incorporate this motto by partnering with the local community to better tell the stories of the Mingo-Logan area to the rest of the state, “There are a lot of good things in this area that people need to know. We don’t have enough stories from Mingo and Logan to share with the rest of the state,” Finn said.

To help facilitate communication with the local community, Finn encourages listeners to contact him. “I would like people in the area to send comments, suggestions and ideas to me at scfinn@wvpublic.org,” Finn said.

A radio programming schedule is available. To view a complete program list visit http://wvpublic.org/schedule.
lastone

Post by lastone »

I guess that means they are back on at the Buffalo Mtn. site (Cinderella) with 1 Kw.
Remember, to keep the 25 Kw they have to transmit from Kentucky.
Otherwise they drop back to 6 Kw.
Sundays.
genlock

Post by genlock »

So whose tower was wvkm located on Buffalo Mountain?
Did they ever actually transmit from there?
cgarison

Post by cgarison »

The State of WV owns a microwave tower on Buffalo Mountain. So is the Four Winds Television transmitter for WHJC-LP on that tower as well?

And, FWIW, It looks like Four Winds is a shell company for Tom Syner. :roll:
The first step in a successful revolution is to defeat all competing revolutionaries.
lastone

Post by lastone »

There is one large tower and two or three short towers at that location. This is the WHJC-LPTV site as well. At 3 meters above ground, they wouldn't need much.
The whole thing makes much more sense if the tower is owned by the state (was the location of the Buffalo Fire tower in the 70s) for they (Three States) would already have been leasing from the state for both the temp. FM and the TV. It is a very good location for an FM. It was the original location for WXCC, but it was argued "no line of site to Williamson" and the location was moved to the hill above downtown. For 50 KW coverage it would have taken only 14 KW at that site. However, they would have to drop back to 6 KW if located within WV. They may want to go to Horsepin to get both Logan and Matewan but I'm not sure if the 'city grade' would make to Matewan from there at 6 KW.
Sundays.
genlock

Post by genlock »

I looked at the rec-radio records on whcp-lp and I don't think they have ever been on the air.
Not too surprising considering it's parentage. Several years of stay silent applications with
the same reasons stated for wvkm. All of it adds up to no money.
genlock

Post by genlock »

I do see from Google earth a satellite dish near a large guyed tower (two levels of tourque arms)
That must be the LP station setup. Radio Reference Notes a state of WV microwave license there,
but that might have been moved with the SIRN site to near the Williamson Airport. Don't know who
else has microwave in state govt. LLoyd Hoff has a tower there. A Cell tower is also visible. There
are a number of FCC licenses for that site (2-way) that may have a small tower or be a tenant.
American Electric Power has a license there. I don't think they like to be a tenant.
A better site for the station would be at Mingo Central High School. A tower would be needed, but
a 6 kw erp would still be do-able for a B1 with a 150 ft tower. The High School is actually higher than
Buffalo Mountain peak and is Located on US 52. Never seen it, But it must be a very nice place for a school.
620m gl= 200m haat at the school.
cgarison

Post by cgarison »

genlock wrote:I looked at the rec-radio records on whcp-lp and I don't think they have ever been on the air.
Not too surprising considering it's parentage. Several years of stay silent applications with
the same reasons stated for wvkm. All of it adds up to no money.
There is a connection on one of the records in the FCC database that shows the WHCP-LP license was processed along with an associated Trinity Broadcast Network station in California. Plus we have Four Winds Tabernacle in Gilbert as well, so Chrisitian broadcasting might have been the plan,but unless you have a large group of wealthy parishioners, it is hard to pay the electric bill for this kind of operation.

Now if the new WVKM runs at 6K, do they have to put in the null blocking the KY border like WHCP has on their transmitter? I thought it was funny that the signal for that LPTV station to reach just shy of Wayne, WV but cannot make it to top of Coburn Mtn. in Pike County, KY which I would think would be a part of their target market area.

AFAIK, (and unless its changed in the last 15 years) AEP would have their own equipment on their own stick. I know that up through the late 90's, it was a "no-no" to have to have the gas control microwave communications equipment on towers that did not belong to the gas company. I doubt if that has changed, but then again, utilities are run by (stupid and greedy) Wall Street investors so all of that is off the table.
lastone

Post by lastone »

Four Winds Television is Evelyn and George Warren. WHJC-AM, WVKM-FM and WHJC-LPTV.
Three States Broadcasting, Hatfield McCoy Broadcasting, Four Winds Television are the companies associated with each other.
The story of WHJC-TV, as told to me by someone who should know, goes like this:
A national religious chain was convinced to put a repeater on air in Williamson. Local spots would be sold by the members of Three States.
Remember, a LPTV is not required to be carried by cable. At 6kw, it barely covered anything.
Sales flopped.
The local bunch took it over and signed with 'old movies and TV series provider(s)' the sales still flopped.
They then applied for 11KW (lot of good that would do) and got a CP, but ran out of money (allegedly).
It remains off the air and like WHJC-AM, is subject to loose it's license.

If not on the air by 12:01 Aug 12....WHJC-AM goes away for good.

allegedly ! :)
Sundays.
cgarison

Post by cgarison »

Thanks for that info.

If WVPBS goes for the tower on Buffalo Mtn at 6kw, they will have enough signal to reach Williamson to the southwest and cover the area that the little 10 watt repeater in Logan covers. If they get to lose the null to the southwest that is currently on the LPTV antenna, then they might be able to drop the 10 watt Matewan repeater as well. Plus this site would give WVPBS good coverage in southern Wayne and northern Mingo counties which has very little coverage now.
genlock

Post by genlock »

Public broadcasting should apply for the tv license on the 13th.
Why? I don't know. Just because.
Surely wvptv has a spare digital transmitter laying around somewhere.
Maybe re-locate the tv to horsepen to gain coverage.
Bring culture to the hills.
lastone

Post by lastone »

WVEBA has applied to move WVKM to a location Near Delbarton on a 150 ft tower at 770 watts. Thus bringing it back to a class A from a C3.
60 dbu is roughly a 17 mile circle.
Logan-Mingo loves NPR! LOL
Sundays.