Radio personality, Mark Justice, fondly remembered

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

cgarison

Post by cgarison »

http://www.dailyindependent.com/news/ra ... f8d35.html

ASHLAND Morning radio personality Mark Justice was remembered for his infectious humor after his passing early Wednesday morning.

Justice, 56, died from a massive heart attack, according to WLGC General Manager Jim Forrest.

The station went silent from 5 a.m. to 10 a.m. in memory and to honor Justice, who has been on the morning show at the station since 1982.

“Since we changed to the Kool Hits 105.7 two years ago he said was the best time he had (in radio),” Forrest said. “It started out with three (announcers) and ended up with five.”

Tim Carper was one of the “Breakfast Club” newcomers, having joined the station nine months ago. Forrest, MJ McKay, and Justin Credible were the others.

“My first day, I’ll never forget, he said ‘If you have something you want to say and think it’s funny, say it.’ The show was perfectly set up,” Carper said. “Mark was a genius. He was also very generous. He put a lot of time (in preparation) but he’d change it if the show was going better in another direction.”

Justice’s day started at 2 in the morning, Forrest said, with preparation for the morning show including a cast of character voices he did himself.

The show was on from 5 a.m. to 10 a.m.

“His life was different,” Forrest said. “He’d be in bed by 8 o’clock most nights because he was in here so early. But he loved it.”

The news of his death spread quickly on Wednesday morning. WLGC had a prayer for him at 8:30 for employees and friends.

Forrest was with Norma, Mark’s wife, at King’s Daughters Medical Center not long after his passing at 3 a.m.

Forrest was on his way to fill in for Justice on the morning show when he received a phone call from the hospital.

“I got a call from the hospital chaplain at 10 (minutes) to 4 (a.m.),” he said. “He said ‘Mark is in ICU and you need to be here for Norma.’ He didn’t tell me what had happened, probably because I was driving, but told me when I got to the hospital. I about went to my knees because I wasn’t expecting it.”

The station played “Seasons of Love,” a song from the musical “Rent,” which his wife said was his favorite, at the top of each hour and informed the audience of Justice’s death.

The song talked about living life to its fullest, Forrest said.

“It was very fitting and almost chilling.”

Carper said he had to pull off the side of the road after hearing the news from Forrest.

“Walking in that door this morning was tough,” he said. “We will make it work.”

Forrest said he would step into Justice’s seat in the interim until the station decides the next step.

“He’s not replaceable but we’ve got to move on,” he said. “We may have to revamp a lot of things.”

MJ McKay, an engineer who is part of the “Breakfast Club” team, said Justice helped get him into the radio business.

“Jim called and told me and I couldn’t even find the words,” he said. “Mark was a friend to me and a lot of people.”

Hundreds were commenting on Facebook posts about Justice, who wrote some horror books and also had a regular entry in the weekly Ashland Beacon.

He was a multiple winner as “Best Radio Morning Show Personality” in The Daily Independent’s annual voting competition.
The first step in a successful revolution is to defeat all competing revolutionaries.