Why Let Godolators Have All The Fun?

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Cameron

Why Let Godolators Have All The Fun?

Post by Cameron »

FCC Rescinds main studio rule:

Via Broadcasting & Cable http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/w ... ule/169598

Free-for-all broadcasting bubble 2.0
------------------------
Cameron Smith - CSRE®
Senior Member - SBE 68 Birmingham
Senior Digital Product Manager - Hibbett Sports|City Gear
Rock

Re: Why Let Godolators Have All The Fun?

Post by Rock »

''He also said maintaining a physical address is an expense better put to other uses, like adding more local programming. Broadcasters have said that expense can range from $20,000 a year to several hundred thousand dollars.''

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
America is at that awkward stage.
It is too late to work within the system,
but too early to shoot the bastards.
- Claire Wolfe
cgarison

Re: Why Let Godolators Have All The Fun?

Post by cgarison »

I would love to say this move kicked the can of issues related to broadcaster insolvency down the road, but this was a miss with the can moving about an inch. I think the intention of the rule is a last attempt to save broadcasters like Clear Channel/iHeartRadio who over purchased and are laden with excess debt. The money recovered from dropped leases of local studio assets (like those in Philly) will pay the power bill for about a month. Yep, that is going to help. But the bankruptcy of many of these broadcast conglomerates is still imminent.

In the end, this makes no change for Gen-X and Millennial listeners. I am still listening to Google Music/Apple Music/Amazon Prime Music/Pandora instead of my local radio stations regardless of what happens. No need to hunt along the dial looking for music while I am on the road because I have my stations everywhere (SoCal, Ohio Valley, Delaware Valley, North Jersey/NY Metro, DC Metro, etc.) It is way too easy to stream and the net effect of audio bandwidth on large mobile data plans is nil.

This is a sad day because in all honesty, except for "hyper local" radio broadcasts, radio as we knew it in the last half of the 20th century is dead. This act from the FCC of removing a half dozen nails from the coffin is not going to bring it back to life.
The first step in a successful revolution is to defeat all competing revolutionaries.