WOWK moves up in the world

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

news89

WOWK moves up in the world

Post by news89 »

Finally after almost 15 years the WV Media set is history. Nexstar Media pumped some money into the station. Complete with new set, graphics and music. Aerial is out and Extreme is in for the music.

https://youtu.be/wWZH4Eiwejc
genlock

Re: WOWK moves up in the world

Post by genlock »

It is about time.
I have complained to them for years about the seams on the set (directly between the anchors),
When they were mis-aligned. Honestly all it would have taken was some due-diligence from the Director and crew to fix this problem. At least their spelling is better than WSAZ. Best of luck to WOWK and Nexstar with their new beginning.
"Everyone Should be aware that you're just a screen grab away from infamy."
news89

Post by news89 »

I thought I wasn't the only that noticed that with that set. I also gave them idea to have those remote cameras across the area.

Also Jack Kane had hip replacement surgery.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 27962721
JKF18

Post by JKF18 »

Who is the voiceover guy?
Mr. Jones

Post by Mr. Jones »

JKF18 wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:58 pm Who is the voiceover guy?
Paul Turner.
news89

Post by news89 »

That is Paul Turner the voice of WOWK since 1997 with Image News era. Now if Nexstar would allow them to stream again.

The memories of the Tom McGee era. If someone has old WOWK video of when Tom did the liveshot from the roof of the old Charleston office that would be great to see again.
https://youtu.be/XD9SFIGAgo4

Set time lapse.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story ... 741899363
JKF18

Post by JKF18 »

Thanks for the reply. I'd rank him up there with the likes of Mitch Craig and Ernie Anderson. Something about Mitch Craig's voiceovers from the 80s and 90s still give me chills as a former broadcaster.
JKF18

Post by JKF18 »

.... I believe that is Mitch Craig still doing the voiceovers on WAVY-TV in Hampton Roads.
news89

Post by news89 »

Mitch Craig did voice-over work for WCHS during early to late 90s. Also with WVVA.

Charlie Van Dyke was the voice of WAVY till earlier this year. Now its Erik Thompson.

Market TV Voice-over
WSAZ VO- Al Vanik
WCHS VO-Richard Malmos
WOWK VO-Paul Turner

WQBE and other Bristol rabbit stations used to use
John Pleisse as VO up until a few years ago.
darkpower

Post by darkpower »

Paul Turner was also the voiceover guy for WJW Fox 8 in Cleveland for a while in 1997.

I love the set they have and the on-air look. It looks more colorful, a lot brighter of a set, and seems like they invested a lot of money into it.

This might mean all of the WVMH stations will eventually get this makeover, and I can see the next big anchor station that WVMH had getting the makeover next: WTRF (WBOY might not be as strong of a station as WTRF was to WVMH).

WTRF is in dire need of a makeover, and for the first time they have a big company backing them up in Nexstar. But this would be the PERFECT time to make a move since the issue with Sinclair's mandated thing and WTOV being caught up in all of that. I have been thinking that this would be a great opportunity for WTRF to finally attack WTOV in ads like the latter has done to the former for YEARS about their weather and coverage. WTRF could be running ads that could promote them being "honest and fair" and "not leaning towards a political bias" (whether or not people would believe that has yet to be seen, though). And a fresh look for a station that's NEVER had big money thrown into their production before (because no prior owner HAD that big money) would really make people pay attention.

Not sure how I feel about their Skycams being the backdrop on their video wall in the background, though. At least it's an actual video wall now instead of just a television screen that they just propped there.
JKF18

Post by JKF18 »

The WBOY presentation, music/graphics, etc. are long overdue for a revamp. That background music is annoying as all get out.
Greg Goodfellow

Post by Greg Goodfellow »

Any investment WTRF would make would be welcome, as it was the station I grew up with.
"Television is a medium because anything well done is rare."
~ Fred Allen ~

“Radio is the theater of the mind; television is the theater of the mindless”-Steve Allen