More Morgantown Country

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Mr. Jones

More Morgantown Country

Post by Mr. Jones »

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/1698 ... organtown/
LHTC Media has launched a third current based Country outlet in Morgantown WV.

1490 WBKE Fairmont launched its 98.3 W252EF translator and flipped from Talk to Country “98.3 Blake-FM“. The 250w/78m signal is operating from the tower of sister “100.9 Jack-FM” WZST Westover/Morgantown.

The station is running jockless and continues to serve as flagship for West Virginia Black Bears minor league baseball. The new format makes for the third Country outlet serving Morgantown alongside West Virginia Radio Company’s market leading 97.9 WKKW and Burbach Broadcasting’s “Froggy” trimulcast 92.7 WGIE Clarksburgh/102.7 WGYE Mannington/103.9 W280FF Morgantown.
JKF18

Re: More Morgantown Country

Post by JKF18 »

Yes! More syndicated programming! ...... At least it's not another religious outlet.
Dave Harman

Post by Dave Harman »

Four signals, actually, including "The River" WFGM.
WFGM_FM_LU.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dave Harman

Post by Dave Harman »

And it appears, from my listening in the South Park, Greenbag Road, and I-68 areas, that there is a new harmonic interfering with 93.1 that I never noticed before Friday. Hmmmm. Coincidence?
engineer

Post by engineer »

Wow, who wudda thought? Both Fairmont AM's have their translators is Morgantown (95.7 and 98.3). Maybe the two Morgantown AM's should move their translators to Fairmont? I'm hearing Morgantown may possibly get another out of town translator (Uniontown?) It's getting crazy out there....
JKF18

Post by JKF18 »

Had the chance to listen to the new "Blake." 1490 WTCS sounds very weak. Are they even broadcasting at total power? Very hard catch outside of Fairmont, let alone Marion County. As for the format - the title/artist backsells are muffled and sound out of place. I heard very little local imaging outside of "Blake 98.3". Musically its the same format you can hear on 20 other stations. I don't see this lasting. Should the FCC deregulation occur in the smaller markets .... I'm sure the WVRC has a check already half written for the LHTC stations.

On another note - has Hot 105.7 cooled? Hearing Spin Doctors and such is not "Today's Best Music." Maybe from 20+ years ago. Shared jocks with Froggy, and a dull presentation - what a disappointment for an alternative to WVAQ. Their signal also seems weak as it used to have a good pull to the west - sounding local almost to Ritchie County. Now, it's a scratchy signal in western Harrison/Doddridge.
Tom Taggart

Post by Tom Taggart »

Should be back to full power shortly. Main transmitter in for repairs under warranty by Nautel.
cgarison

Post by cgarison »

JKF18 wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:50 pm On another note - has Hot 105.7 cooled? Hearing Spin Doctors and such is not "Today's Best Music." Maybe from 20+ years ago.
Hearing music from the late 90s on a contemporary "hits" station is the norm in southeastern PA. I figured it was due to a consultant talking management into this tactic to skew the demographic to get a bigger audience because millennials typically use some sort of a streaming service to get their music.

On a positive note, I am going to need to check out the FM band when I pass through Morgantown in the next few weeks. I guess I had better break out the "big" antenna so I can see how well these signals make it through the hills.
The first step in a successful revolution is to defeat all competing revolutionaries.