What will be the biggest winner in the book?

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Talk stations (WCHS, WVHU/WIRO, WAJR, WHIS), etc
11%
Top 40 stations (WKEE, WVSR, WRVZ, WVAQ, etc)
32%
AC stations (WVAF, WRVC, WHAJ, WSSN, etc)
5%
Rock stations (WAMX, WKLC, WCLG, WFBY, etc)
16%
Oldies stations (WBVB, WKAZ, WZJO, etc)
No votes
Country stations (WTCR, WQBE, WDGG, etc)
32%
Religious stations (WEMM, WJYP, WTCR/WZZW)
5%

Total votes: 19

Mike

Post by Mike »

What of these choices will be the biggest winner in the book?

Biggest losers poll coming next.

I have given you a topic, discuss ;)
"Show me just what Muhammad brought that was new and there you will find things only evil and inhuman, such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached"
-Manuel II Palaiologos
Byzantine Emperor (1391-1425)
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

Since there is absolutely nothing else new that is worth reading.... I, hereby, put the last thread first again.
Mark Hallburn

Post by Mark Hallburn »

You left Magic 97.9 out of the poll... I see it doing well....
News For Putnam County
www.PutnamLIVE.com
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

:roll:

Check the date........
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"
Dr. Whiplash

Post by Dr. Whiplash »

What about that new Smooth Jazz station in Arnoldsburg? I can see it doing well. 8)
CH107WITO

Play a song of Christmas, over and over and over

Post by CH107WITO »

I completely agree, Mark. Magic 97.9 should do VERY well; see attached article. Magic already cracked the top three in the Tri-State in its first book (spring). If the stats below hold true, Magic could be number one or two this book (fall). That would really shake things up in Tri-State radio! It should be an interesting winter, radio-wise!

PORTLAND, Maine (AP) -- The holiday classics haven't changed that much -- radio stations still turn to Bing Crosby, Nat King Cole and Burl Ives to spread yuletide cheer. But your chances of hearing them on the radio are growing fast.

As of Monday, 399 stations from Maine to Hawaii were playing Christmas tunes around the clock to bring in listeners and advertising dollars. Portland has two stations competing over holiday listeners, and some cities have as many as five or six.

Most of the programming kicked off after Thanksgiving; the earliest station made the switch in October before trick or treaters made the rounds.

"It's gotten to the point of ridiculousness," said Tim Moore, operations manager at Portland's WHOM-FM, which began broadcasting its holiday programming on the day after Thanksgiving.

Ridiculous or not, Americans can't get enough of it, said Tom Taylor, editor of Inside Radio, a trade publication owned by Clear Channel.

The number of stations playing those timeless holiday songs already outnumbers the previous record of 386 in 2003, the first year Inside Radio began tracking the numbers, Taylor said from his office in Trenton, New Jersey.

"Christmas music, for most people, puts a smile on your face. Even if you resist it for a while, you can't hold out forever," he said.

The deluge of Christmas airplay may yield a few humbugs, but it succeeds nearly universally in boosting ratings, industry officials say.

For listeners, the nostalgic music creates a soundtrack as they shop, wrap presents, decorate trees, bake cookies and go to parties.

"It's like a counterpoint to all of the misery in the world. That's the only thing I can figure out," said Phil Crosland, executive vice president of the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers in New York.

Behind the holiday cheer and goodwill are strong ratings: Portland's WHOM sees a 38 percent bump in the number of listeners after it switches its format from adult contemporary to 24-7 holiday music.

In New York City, WLTW-FM sees a 25 percent increase in listeners even in one of the most nation's diverse markets, said Jim Ryan, programming director.

In Milwaukee, WMYX-FM saw a jump of nearly 50 percent last year despite holiday competition from three other radio stations, said Brian Kelly, operations manager. The year before that, the station's listenership grew nearly 100 percent in December.

"People from the outside may ask why we do this," Kelly said. "The answer is because it works, and that's what our listeners want."

The vast holiday treasure chest includes offerings from artists as varied as Jessica Simpson, B.B. King, Barenaked Ladies, Regis Philbin, Bruce Springsteen and Twisted Sister.

At WHOM, it's Moore's responsibility to review the countless new holiday offerings each season. Most of them end up in the trash bin because they can't compete with "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer," "Frosty the Snowman," "Let It Snow" and other classics.

Occasionally, newer artists manage to break into the rotation. A couple of recent examples are Josh Groban's "Believe" from the movie "The Polar Express" and Faith Hill's "Where are you Christmas?" from "How the Grinch Stole Christmas," he said.

But listeners seem to prefer the old songs like Crosby's "White Christmas," Cole's "The Christmas Song," Ives' "A Holly Jolly Christmas," Bobby Helms' "Jingle Bell Rock" and Brenda Lee's "Rockin' Round the Christmas Tree."

"It's a sad fact and a sad reality that there are 30 to 50 Christmas songs that research really well. We already know them," said Moore. "They don't want Clay Aiken's version of 'White Christmas.' They want Bing Crosby, for the most part."

'It kills me every year'
For some, it's just too much.

"It's terrible. It kills me every year. It's the same songs over and over," said Jake Millett, 21, of Portland, who's subjected to it every Christmas Eve at his grandmother's house. He rolled his eyes when a co-worker talked about "the holiday spirit."

At the other extreme is Stacey Milliken, who can't get enough. She likes the fact that oldies station WYNZ is giving WHOM some competition this year, and she flicks back and forth between the two stations while driving in her car.

"I think it's a great idea. It gets everybody in the spirit, but I can completely understand how some people would get sick of it," said Milliken, 30, of Portland.

It's hard to say exactly when the trend began, but one consultant traces it to the 1980s when he began recommending that radio stations play holiday music on the day after Thanksgiving, a time when Americans flock to malls to begin their Christmas shopping.

Eventually it got to the point that many adult contemporary stations extended the holiday music from Thanksgiving to Christmas, said Dan Vallie, president, chairman and CEO of Vallie Richards Donovan Consulting, who's a pioneer in recommending the format.

"I think it's one of the most significant and successful programming strategies in the past couple of decades," Vallie said.

The holiday change can make sense for a radio station trying to stand out in a time of change: radio advertising has been flat and radio executives worry about listeners migrating to podcasts, MP3 players and satellite radio.

"A 30-day music format change is evidence of the need by radio stations to chase dollars in a shrinking ad environment," said Laura A. Martin, senior media analyst at Soleil Securities in Pasadena, California.

Though it's an inexact science, a bump in ratings typically means a bump in advertising rates.

And advertisers likely see a correlation in either goodwill or sales by getting involved in the holiday format, said Matt Feinberg, senior vice president and director of radio for Zenith Media in New York.

"It's a tradition," Feinberg said. "From an advertiser point of view, it's an evergreen special they can buy into."

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2001 2:12 pm Post subject: What will be the biggest winner in the book?
fanofbigmedia wrote:Since there is absolutely nothing else new that is worth reading.... I, hereby, put the last thread first again.
genlock

Post by genlock »

I proudly voted.
cgarison

Post by cgarison »

(sigh)

I voted...

5 years ago.
The first step in a successful revolution is to defeat all competing revolutionaries.
MarkPatrick

Post by MarkPatrick »

I think Magic's first book was a fluke. People checked it out, and it got some good first book numbers. It's become the same, tired, boring, repetitive format that most other stations are, and the novelty's worn off. I don't see them having another up book, much less #1 or #2. I think the Christmas music will just help them dig their grave.

The country stations will continue to do well. They always do.

I see KEE having a good rating book with the younger demos this time. It may not last (for the reasons I mentioned in the first paragraph..the novelty may wear off).
Dr. Whiplash

Post by Dr. Whiplash »

:idea: :?:
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

For the love of God! What is wrong with you people.

The distinction between those who get it and those that need to get it is clear.

:!: :!: :!: :!:

:x
The People's DJ
Pimp Hand
Pimp Hand

Post by The People's DJ »

fanofbigmedia wrote:For the love of God! What is wrong with you people.

The distinction between those who get it and those that need to get it is clear.

:!: :!: :!: :!:

:x
Well....maybe Mark had to much smoke in his eyes so he couldn't read the date.
8) :lol:
MarkPatrick

Post by MarkPatrick »

THIS Mark was just commenting on the first Mark and CH107's posts. It's been brough back to the top, so I thought I'd throw in my three cents worth.

Magic is A/C, and whether it's been Sunny, Kee or whomever, the format hasn't done well in Huntington. This time around may be different, but the end result will be the same.

1&2 - WTCR and WKEE, with KEE possible being spiked due to the Hot (repetitive) CHR format being done for the first time in years.

3,4&5 - DGG, Magic and B97...with the rest of them behind.
CH107WITO

AC performance

Post by CH107WITO »

MarkPatrick wrote:THIS Mark was just commenting on the first Mark and CH107's posts. It's been brough back to the top, so I thought I'd throw in my three cents worth.

Magic is A/C, and whether it's been Sunny, Kee or whomever, the format hasn't done well in Huntington. This time around may be different, but the end result will be the same.

1&2 - WTCR and WKEE, with KEE possible being spiked due to the Hot (repetitive) CHR format being done for the first time in years.

3,4&5 - DGG, Magic and B97...with the rest of them behind.
Not true at all. I recall, in the late 1980s, when "Lite Rock and the Classics, 93.7 WRVC" was pulling 18 and 19 shares. In fact, I always said if Tom Wolfe had left that signal alone for an extended period of time it might eventually do something more than its perennial third place performance. There were too many format changes for a format to "take." He's finally, via Kirtner, left it alone long enough to see the Dawg attain higher ratings performance, surpassing the third place "curse" for 93.7.
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

Christ

I give up.