New Year... New Formats

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

DirkDiggler

Post by DirkDiggler »

wife thinks variations of format have tendency to sound *effeminate and confused. her words, not mine. (that wvu psych major talking) id just say its gay.

if programmed correctly, sounds great. how to program correctly? hire a consultant. just kidding!!

(* not a technical format name)
Ham & Cheese on a roll...little bit of Mayo, lettuce & tomato..right on.
Ace Purple

Post by Ace Purple »

I actually gave this some thought over the weekend... Before I "got into" radio, I still was able to diffentiate between genres, even when I didn't know what they were called. Hell, how many CHR listeners have ever heard the phrase "Contemporary Hit Radio" and/or know what it means? Country and Rock stations usually embrace the format name somewhere within either their name (i.e. "Young Country" in Louisville) or in their positioning statement ("Today's Best Country").

For WVJW, instead of saying "We're AAA, and here's what that means", maybe finding a positioning statement that fits would be better. I don't know if something like "Listener-Supported WVJW, Today's True Music Variety" would work or not. But I think it would connect better with your target audience than "AAA".
On Twitter: @LouPickney
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

Since there is nothing new, let's rekindle something old.