New Year... New Formats

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Mr. Jones

New Year... New Formats

Post by Mr. Jones »

Seems like the markets around here aren't as likely to change formats as in other markets. Not even a tweak here and there.

However, there was one noticable swap, at least here in H-C. I don't know when it occured, but WZAQ 92.3 Louisa flipped from classic country to (Hot) AC as a simulcast(?) of WSNA. They're calling themselves Sunny 92.3 and 94.9.

Also noticed that the 92.3 signal is blasting into Huntington... don't recall that happening, at least recently.

Haven't noticed anything else... yet. Am I missing anything?
bryan27

Post by bryan27 »

We flipped to Triple A right on time at 12 noon today after a night of soft piano music 8)

Four hours into it and we have already received 3 calls and 1 e-mail. All with positive comments.
WVJW Your Station For More News More Often
Jet Black

Post by Jet Black »

Relatives don't count.
Tom Taggart

Post by Tom Taggart »

Relatives only give you positive comments when they are looking for something in return :lol:

:? I am slightly confused. Remembering an early thread, wasn't WSNA lma'd to Larry Patrick? I see it's owned by an outfit called IM corp.

Louisa is owned by a Harold Britton. Is there some kind of sale/consolidation in the works here?
bryan27

Post by bryan27 »

Jet Black wrote:Relatives don't count.
:lol: Except for my parents no other relatives can receive the station. My sister can get it at work, not exactly a loyal listener since she always asks what the frequency is 8O
sportsvoice

Post by sportsvoice »

I am slightly confused. Remembering an early thread, wasn't WSNA lma'd to Larry Patrick? I see it's owned by an outfit called IM corp.

Louisa is owned by a Harold Britton. Is there some kind of sale/consolidation in the works here?
Must be something up. WSNA is under some sort of LMA to Patrick's outfit with possible purchase (probably contingent on whether the license gets renewed or not -- the license renewal has not yet been granted and is still listed as "accepted for filing").

I'm not sure what's going on with the Louisa station, if it's a 100% simulcast or just co-branding and using the same ABC format feed. WSNA was being piped in out of what is probably some closet with a computer in Gallipolis. (Not sure what the "main studio" location is since their old building was sold off at auction--maybe for a little fun I should ask where the public file is :wink: )
Jet Black

Post by Jet Black »

Pardon my threadjack, but this seemed like a good spot to make my periodic mention of how much I love Tom's WXCR. Yeah, I know it's just bird-fed radio, but I really like it. Barring the ugly NASCAR broadcasts, it's all good music all the time. Good stuff with a mix of more obscure stuff, it's good for the occasional "oh, wow!" I sounds good all the time with rarely an automated screw-up. Lord knows what good it does TT to operate a station broadcasting to an economic wasteland, but more power to you. Eagle 107 is banashed from my radio forever. XCR useually holds on when I head north until I can hand off to WDVE or The River.
contracteng

Post by contracteng »

It is my understanding that Patrick is LMA the Louisa station while they are in the process of buying it just like they are doing with WSNA.
t
bryan27

Post by bryan27 »

Jet Black wrote:Eagle 107 is banashed from my radio forever. XCR useually holds on when I head north until I can hand off to WDVE or The River.
Eagle who? Yep, for a little Class-A it kicks ass. When I get sick of WVJW I tune to WXCR or WRSG. It's pretty sad when the good stations are in BFE :(

Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

I LOVE the Jive Kitty logo.

One suggestion: Try something different than Comic Sans font for your lettering ...

:wink:
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
bryan27

Post by bryan27 »

Any suggestion? Comic Sans is kind of the best I have for something legible and cool. Librarian and Times Roman are too traditional, Ariel is borring, and I have really terrible ones like Edwardian Script. I have the fonts Pacifica uses, but they use the ones the phone book uses (IE: Bell Name, Bell Bold, etc...)

My old computer had some really cool ones like Yearbook, Military, and Old West. Guess I need to search for some new fonts.

BTW we got our Kitty at the LPFM Exchange. I produced some voice overs for a station in exchange for a mascot. I'm thinking of having my sister make a costume of it for fairs and parades.
Arp

Post by Arp »

Well, as long as you're redesigning, "Triple A" has no meaning to 99+% of the people...
"Hey, Jack...it's Mary from Bawston. Why you never play the songs I like to heah?"

"Heh...simple:
You're from Boston."
bryan27

Post by bryan27 »

Arp wrote:Well, as long as you're redesigning, "Triple A" has no meaning to 99+% of the people...
Which is why I have others that say "Adult Album Alternative" and ones with both "Triple A" and "Adult Album Alternative". Both are also used on the air. Eventually "Adult Album Alternative" will be phased out.
Jet Black

Post by Jet Black »

I've got several free fonts from this place: http://www.acidfonts.com/
Fat Guy One

Post by Fat Guy One »

bryan27 wrote:
Arp wrote:Well, as long as you're redesigning, "Triple A" has no meaning to 99+% of the people...
Which is why I have others that say "Adult Album Alternative" and ones with both "Triple A" and "Adult Album Alternative". Both are also used on the air. Eventually "Adult Album Alternative" will be phased out.

They won't know what "Adult Album Alternative" means either. Define what you are and reinforce it, you have that down. Just don't use industry language as your definition.
Arp

Post by Arp »

Yeah...there are ways to describe it, none of which involve the actual terms, however.

Bryan's use of completely unsigned/unknown artists precludes most of the good ones, though. It would have to be something along the lines of "roots" or "pioneers" or "back to the future" or "unique" or "truly new" or "doing it for the love (or 'sake')of the music" or "discoveries"....
"Hey, Jack...it's Mary from Bawston. Why you never play the songs I like to heah?"

"Heh...simple:
You're from Boston."
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

Bryan,

Here's something I played around with ...

It uses your existing mascot, establishes dial position and gives a catch phrase that is open ended enough to apply to any AAA song you'll ever play, since beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I'd be happy to re-work anything you don't like.

8)
Last edited by Hoosier Daddy on Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
Jet Black

Post by Jet Black »

Since you've got the Cat graphic, how about, "Not The Same Old Crap!"
Arp

Post by Arp »

"Not The Same Old Crap!"...... :? :|

That's not bad..... :)

"Heh...simple:
You're from Boston."
Dave Loudin

Post by Dave Loudin »

RE: "the best songs on the radio",

Just don't let sonic death monkey hear that - cruel and unusual punishment :lol: (poke a WINC-FM jock and that phrase will be the first thing out of his mouth)
Aircheck? You'd make a great board op.