WLW's Burbank To Retire

If it's happening around us, post it here. All topics regarding our border states go here.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Mr. Jones

WLW's Burbank To Retire

Post by Mr. Jones »

AllAccess:
Report: WLW's Burbank To Retire

The CINCINNATI ENQUIRER's JOHN KIESEWETTER is reporting that CLEAR CHANNEL Talk WLW-A/CINCINNATI mainstay GARY BURBANK will retire when his contract expires on DECEMBER 31. BURBANK told KIESEWETTER, "I plan on retiring this year, for sure."

BURBANK, the creator of the popular "EARL PITTS, UHMERIKUN" character, joined WLW in 1981 for mornings and moved to his present afternoon slot a few years later. He turns 66 in JULY.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Wonder if this will affect Earl Pitts, the most popular feature of Dave in the Morning (Lord knows it ain't the host)?
Titties and beer...thank God almighty for titties and beer!
Dr. Whiplash

Post by Dr. Whiplash »

I'm sorry to hear he's leaving but "Garish" deserves his retirement after cranking out so many bits for so many years. I'd run out of stuff in about three hours. Been listening to him since the early 80s. Personal favorite character - Gilbert Gnarley. But yeah, Dave, let's hope Earl doesn't retire with Gary.

Years ago a fishing buddy was truly shocked to learn that (1) Earl Pitts did not work at WNUS and (2) it was satire. I actually felt badly after telling him. Theater of the mind, indeed. :wink:
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

We have actually had people mail and/or call here asking for Earl. I, of course, tell them that I am his personal assistant, and for a mere $50 I will make sure he gets this message. The first time I heard the character was when 105 ran him around '88 or so when he "ran" for President. We picked him up around '95 or so I guess and the response has always been great. We have two sponsors that rotate every other day and a list of people who want on in case the other two ever drop, which is doubtful.
Titties and beer...thank God almighty for titties and beer!
lastone

Post by lastone »

In Logan/Mingo counties satire is often seen as truth. For the reality is worse than the satire. Some mistake this as the residents being "stupid".
http://www.thenewoldiesshow.com
WRSG Knights 91.5 Middlebourne-Sistersville, WV 5 PM Eastern Wednesdays (Repeats 7 AM Thursdays).
106.3 The Double Q, Farmington, Iowa, 10-11 AM Central time, Wednesdays.
Buckeye Broadcasting, Cambridge, Ohio, 10 AM Eastern time Friday and other days on Live 365.com
WBPS 101.9, Cambridge, Ohio
KZBZ 92.1, Williams, Arizona,
Sundays.
Dr. Whiplash

EARL PITTS NOT RETIRING!

Post by Dr. Whiplash »

BY JOHN KIESEWETTER, Cincinnati Enquirer

What happens to WLW afternoons when Gary Burbank joins Gilbert Gnarley at the St. Pia Zadora Golden Buckeye Retirement Community? The plan is to keep afternoons entertaining, rather than expand sports or news talk, says Darryl Parks, WLW operations director. "We're definitely looking at entertainment. WLW is much more based in entertainment than political ideology," he says.

Burbank says he plans to keep alive Earl Pitts, the nation's longest-running syndicated comedy bit heard on 160 stations, and write music. Before coming to WLW in 1980, he did the "Who Shot J.R.?" novelty record about the "Dallas" TV character.

We're witnessing a Clear Channel makeover with the departures of Burbank, Jerry Thomas, Andy Furman, Craig Kopp and General Manager Karrie Sudbrack. Sometime this week, WLW should announce hiring Enquirer sports columnist Paul Daugherty to host "SportsTalk." The Enquirer will remain his primary employer. Tom Gamble turned down the job for family reasons.

PITTS OFF :D