King of All Athens Media expanding further

If it's happening around us, post it here. All topics regarding our border states go here.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Dr. Whiplash

King of All Athens Media expanding further

Post by Dr. Whiplash »

From the Athens News...
After a four-month layoff due to winter weather, Athens' favorite TV personality will be back in action on the Ohio University College Green today. Yes, we're talking about "Big Jim" Balcom, star of Public Access Television and now a hit on local radio as well. The 51-year-old Glouster man, whose show on Channel 23, "Community Corner with Big Jim," has become a cult favorite with OU students, reported Monday that he has more big plans in the works.

First off, as mentioned, is the triumphal return of "Green Smarts," the outdoor man-with-a-microphone feature that first made Balcom a local star. The premise is simple: Balcom wanders around College Green with a mic and a cameraman, waylaying students and challenging them to answer trivia questions. Those who answer correctly (and even some who don't) get keen prizes.

Due to cold and snow, Balcom hasn't been seen on the green since about November, but at noon today (Thursday), he'll be back out there pestering people like he never went away. With one change, however. Camera chores will no longer be handled by "Little Jim," Balcom's 20-year-old son, who has opted to get a job and move back to New England, whence Balcom first came to Athens County.

"My son Little Jim was always out there with me, and it's just not the same without Little Jim," sighed Balcom pere. "It was quality time for me and my son, so I'm really going to miss him being there."

The Athens NEWS first reported on the Big Jim phenomenon last May, when, after only a few months on Public Access, "Community Corner" had become an underground hit of sorts, especially among OU students. Since then, Balcom has extended his local media penetration, bagging a daily show on WATH (AM 970) radio, and providing inside, up-close-and-personal coverage of the OU football team's winning season.

In January, NEWS readers confirmed his standing as a local glitteratus, when they handed him second- and third-place honors in the paper's annual "Best of Athens" contest, in the respective categories of Best Media Figure and Coolest Person.

Now, Balcom says, the sky's the limit. His plans for the future include a first-ever live broadcast of "Community Corner," scheduled for March 30, and a show from OU's new Baker Center, tentatively set for March 29.

"I'm hoping that that goes," he said of the latter. "I really don't like to do things 50 percent. If I can't get what I want done on it, get the style of show that I want, action-packed, then I'm going to have to delay on it."

Riding the crest of his local success, Balcom reported that "my schedule's been jam-packed lately," with calls and e-mails flooding his phone and computer. Among his many side projects, he's agreed to help judge an OU Greek beauty contest Saturday, and has also hosted various eating contests (hot dogs, meatballs) at the Red Brick Tavern in Athens.

One of the best projects he's worked on, Balcom said, was acting as almost an extra member of the OU Bobcat football squad during the season, coming out to practices and accompanying the team on road trips. He also hosted a spinoff TV show, "Sports Talk with Big Jim," Wednesdays at 8 p.m.

"I really felt like I was part of the team," he recalled. So much so that he agreed to a team challenge that for every victory OU notched, he would take in a 10-pound notch in his belt. (His nickname "Big Jim" should be taken literally.) His time with the squad, he said, "was unique, something I will cherish the rest of my life."

And for those whose Big Jim addiction isn't satisfied with just his TV shows and live appearances, there's now another outlet. From 3 to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday, he can be heard on WATH, playing classic-rock hits of the 1950s through the 1970s, dishing up community info, and posing the odd trivia question. "It's always been a passion of mine to do radio," he said. It also helps pay the bills, as he doesn't make a dime off the rest of his media empire.

"A lot of people think I'm getting rich off of this, and it's just the opposite," he said. His prize giveaways - like the limited edition, not-for-sale-at-any-cost Big Jim T-shirts, and the Big Jim scented candle ( 8O ) come from local sponsors. Any donations to his TV shows go to the Trimble Township Leo Club, which in turn buys supplies such as blank videotapes that he needs for the programs.

While he appears well on his way to becoming the King of All Athens Media, Balcom says he still has a goal to reach. With late-night talk shows coming from both coasts, he suggested, what America really needs right now is one from the heartland - and he knows just the guy to host it.

"Why not have one from right here in southeast Ohio?" he asked. "That's my goal."
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

...and I thought it was a post about Tommy Taggart gaining weight.

(ducking)
------------------------
Cameron Smith - CSRE®
Senior Member - SBE 68 Birmingham
Senior Digital Product Manager - Hibbett Sports|City Gear