Left-to-right talk switch yields negative results

If it's happening around us, post it here. All topics regarding our border states go here.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Dr. Whiplash

Left-to-right talk switch yields negative results

Post by Dr. Whiplash »

Dumping liberal talkers hasn’t helped 1230 AM
http://www.theotherpaper.com
Columbus, May 31, 2007

For the first time since Clear Channel’s WYTS 1230 AM announced in December that it would drop Air America in favor of a lineup featuring conservative hosts and sports loudmouth Jim Rome, fans of liberal radio have something to smile about.

The latest local radio ratings came out last week, and at the very bottom of the list sat the new 1230 AM.

“It just confirms all along that this was not a business agenda,â€
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

...and, aside from it being a brand new station on an awful signal that is never going to see significant marketing, it's much more of a "the rest of the shows" station than a "conservative" talk station...sports, home, money, health, humor, news, book authors...it's a "throw anything at the wall and see what sticks" station that won't be rejected out-of-hand by buyers, even if and when as "value-added" or a "bonus."
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"
Dr. Whiplash

Post by Dr. Whiplash »

A lot of electricity is wasted on second (third?) tier syndicated talkers. I'd be tempted to try some Hispanic format on that signal, or maybe urban talk. I think either would sell easier and the numbers should do at least as well.
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

Dr. Whiplash wrote:I'd be tempted to try some Hispanic format on that signal....
Real decent idea, there.....there's an FM that was first in, but its signal is relatively weak where much of that population is......
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"
SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

I don't have any numbers in front of me, but wasn't Clear Channel the company that adopted the AAR format the most? I think we all know why AAR wasn't a success.... it was rubbish.
So sayeth His Royal Highness King Spike; greatest broadcasting talent of his generation.
darkpower

Post by darkpower »

I wouldn't mind having a different opinion on the radio, but it seems as thogh people were listening to other things to begin with.

Plus, remember, one can just as easily turn to AAR on Sirius or XM (not sure if it is on XM, but I know for a fact it's on Sirius), so you can also blame this to the decline of terrestrial radio.

Not to mention that CC continues to find ways to shoot themselves in the foot.