WBNS-TV wins RTNDA national award

If it's happening around us, post it here. All topics regarding our border states go here.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Dr. Whiplash

WBNS-TV wins RTNDA national award

Post by Dr. Whiplash »

Columbus' WBNS-10TV has won the prestigious Edward R. Murrow Award in the Best Newscast category for large-market television stations.

The winning entry, which previously won a regional Murrow to compete for the national honor, aired at 5 p.m. on Oct. 19, 2006. The newscast featured the capture of John Parsons, an escaped prisoner awaiting trial for the murder of Chillicothe police officer Larry Cox. Missy Gleason produced the newscast.

"I am so overwhelmed by this honor," Gleason said. "It was one of those shows where everything just came together perfectly."

The national Murrow Award was the first for WBNS-TV.

"This is an incredible achievement," said John Cardenas, 10TV's news director. "This award is truly a team effort, and once again it shows why we are Central Ohio's news leader."

The Edward R. Murrow Awards are named for the longtime CBS journalist, remembered as one of the most respected people in news. The Radio Television News Directors Association oversees the selection process and names the winners. The awards ceremony will be held in October in New York City.

"The commitment of this team to providing the best news coverage in Central Ohio never ceases to amaze me, and it makes me very proud," said WBNS-10TV President and General Manager Tom Griesdorn. "This award is well-earned by the news team, and most-deserved."

The Dispatch Broadcast Group includes WBNS-TV, WBNS-AM/FM, Ohio News Network and Radio Sound Network in Columbus; WTHR-TV and WALV-LP in Indianapolis; Dispatch Interactive Television in Columbus and Indianapolis.